First year commerce subjects (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Also I did FIN1613 in first semester 2012, and it was fairly easy. But from what I heard the course became extremely hard last semester.
Nah only the last quiz was hard because the lecturer went bat shit crazy.

tambam

HSC
I know there is another subjects difficulty thread, but I was wondering if you guys who have studied commerce, could tell me which subjects are considered a wam booster or killer :) I'm planning to take all the boosters to ensure a smooth transfer in 2nd year so I don't need to get dragged down by wam boosters x( .

eg. ACCT1501 - Booster ( in this format)

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics
MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People
ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
FINS1613 Business Finance
INFS1602 Info Systems in Business
LEGT1710 Business and the Law
MARK1012 Marketing Fundamentals

You don't need them all! Just the ones you have done, or know a friend that has done it. Also what's the difference between core and flexi - core subjects?

Thanks for the input! =)
The massive WAM boosters for me personally were: ACCT1501, ACCT1511, and ECON1203
My WAM killer was MGMT1001 - its a bit of a hit or miss,so if you're keen to get into comm/law i agree with everyone else about putting it off.

I've heard FINS1613 is a lot easier in semester 1, they've gone back to the other textbook again, and the head lecturer is better.
Most people consider MARK1012 a WAM booster or at least an easy D, just make sure you know people in your tutes/avoid the international kids because its extremely group work focused. (Though personally i thought it was way too similar to MGMT and hated it)

I think if you're really focused on getting into comm/law, just keep on top of things throughout the semester and you should be alright. Most comm kids i know do nothing all semester and learn everything in the 2 weeks before exams.
& Don't do LEGT1710 because it won't count towards your law degree - unless you're unsure about transferring and want to get a feel for what studying law would be like (It's a great subject)

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
The massive WAM boosters for me personally were: ACCT1501, ACCT1511, and ECON1203
My WAM killer was MGMT1001 - its a bit of a hit or miss,so if you're keen to get into comm/law i agree with everyone else about putting it off.

I've heard FINS1613 is a lot easier in semester 1, they've gone back to the other textbook again, and the head lecturer is better.
Most people consider MARK1012 a WAM booster or at least an easy D, just make sure you know people in your tutes/avoid the international kids because its extremely group work focused. (Though personally i thought it was way too similar to MGMT and hated it)

I think if you're really focused on getting into comm/law, just keep on top of things throughout the semester and you should be alright. Most comm kids i know do nothing all semester and learn everything in the 2 weeks before exams.
& Don't do LEGT1710 because it won't count towards your law degree - unless you're unsure about transferring and want to get a feel for what studying law would be like (It's a great subject)
Shouldn't mgmt be one of your strengths if you want to transfer into law ? (I don't know but it has more similarity to law than mathematically based subjects)

tambam

HSC
Shouldn't mgmt be one of your strengths if you want to transfer into law ? (I don't know but it has more similarity to law than mathematically based subjects)
In uni, any subjects with essay based assessments are extremely subjective and hence a massive risk - a lot of it just comes down to luck, and whether your tutor is a bitch marker or not.

If the OP just wants to secure a spot in law through a high WAM, then it would probably be best to go for the maths-based subjects. As long as you know your shit and get the calculations out onto the page, you're going to get the marks.

danielau

HSC

Hmm that's one of my problems. I'm not sure how many core / flexi - core I will need to do to count towards the law side. I "think" that single mode commerce students need to complete 4 core and 4 flexi - core? Is this applicable for combined law students too or is there a lower amount of flexi required for comm/law?

Oh and why don't do LEGT? :p How can I tell that it won't count towards my law degree?(Will it count towards the comm side?) Is it because it's a flexi? I should mention the subjects I'm currently enrolled into are acct1501, legt1710, mark1012 and fins1613.

Last edited:

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm that's one of my problems. I'm not sure how many core / flexi - core I will need to do to count towards the law side. I "think" that single mode commerce students need to complete 4 core and 4 flexi - core? Is this applicable for combined law students too or is there a lower amount of flexi required for comm/law?

Oh and why don't do LEGT? :p How can I tell that it won't count towards my law degree?(Will it count towards the comm side?) Is it because it's a flexi? I should mention the subjects I'm currently enrolled into are acct1501, legt1710, mark1012 and fins1613.
It says at the bottom of this page: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/LAWSA14733.html

It's because it is a business law subject

danielau

HSC
It says at the bottom of this page: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/LAWSA14733.html

It's because it is a business law subject
Wait... I just read : Note: Law students must not take courses offered by the School of Business Law and Taxation (LEGT). Students can take any other courses taught by the School of Business providing they meet the requirements. O_O

Does that mean if I do it it makes me ineligible to apply for a transfer into law? Or does that mean when I have transferred and already doing law I can't take LEGT at that time?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait... I just read : Note: Law students must not take courses offered by the School of Business Law and Taxation (LEGT). Students can take any other courses taught by the School of Business providing they meet the requirements. O_O

Does that mean if I do it it makes me ineligible to apply for a transfer into law? Or does that mean when I have transferred and already doing law I can't take LEGT at that time?
If you transfer into law, legt courses won't count towards your commerce degree. So it's effectively wasting a subject since you'd have to do another commerce subject in order to complete your degree.

danielau

HSC
If you transfer into law, legt courses won't count towards your commerce degree. So it's effectively wasting a subject since you'd have to do another commerce subject in order to complete your degree.
I was really looking forward to doing it q_q. Gotta change my timetable for the fourth time now... If I DO choose to do it does that mean I won't finish my degree in 5 years?

danielau

HSC
How many core/flexi-core do I need to do for first year? Or enough to be able to do the next level of subjects?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
I was really looking forward to doing it q_q. Gotta change my timetable for the fourth time now... If I DO choose to do it does that mean I won't finish my degree in 5 years?
Unless you go to summer school or overload, yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)