First-Year IT Camp 2009 (1 Viewer)

jonaxiang

HSC
Sounds great! Can someone give me general information on the type of activities that we will be doing at the camp? I assume it'll be mostly outdoor eh?. Will you be coming Huratio?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Sounds great! Can someone give me general information on the type of activities that we will be doing at the camp? I assume it'll be mostly outdoor eh?. Will you be coming Huratio?
It's extremely "Year 7 camp"ish. You do the typical "here's your schedule, be here by X" thing. So yeah, group activities, outdoor activities, sleep. You know how it goes.

Rayhau

HSC
It says Rego must be completed by 30th Jan, but the late rounds come in the 4th of Feb, for me I am waiting for B Bus/Sc IT, so what happens if i want to change courses ?

Takuto

HSC
It says Rego must be completed by 30th Jan, but the late rounds come in the 4th of Feb, for me I am waiting for B Bus/Sc IT, so what happens if i want to change courses ?
well since u already accepted the offer for BscIT you still could rock up on teh 30th and apply. dont think it makes much of a diff if u happen to change to the other course inbetween

in other cases, just email the coordinator? jenny or something, hhah =]

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
pretty much its just to get to know everyone else in IT degrees so you don't freak at heaps of people in your first lecture.. it's not really that year 7ish in terms of the way its structured, but they have seminars about courses and theres a few group activities to get to know everyone else. the leaders are a couple of staff but primarily second and third year students.

i was a leader on last years camp, so if you have any questions post up. if you have issues (e.g. the one about late round offers etc) email jenny donovan at jennyd@it.uts.edu.au

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
this camp just for IT students ??
If IT is part of your degree, yes. B.Bus/B.ScIT students can still attend, if they wish (actually, they're still told it's 'mandatory').

If you are studying in a different faculty, I'm pretty sure they won't like it if you show up. That said, if you know how to get to the camp site, I doubt anybody would notice that you weren't an IT student. Wouldn't recommend it, though.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
hey, I'm a BIT, just wondering how mandatory is this camp?

pretty sure I can handle meeting people at the lectures and/or dinner... we're going on a family thing, and my parents sure aren't paying the $90 rego fee.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC

pretty sure I can handle meeting people at the lectures and/or dinner... we're going on a family thing, and my parents sure aren't paying the $90 rego fee.
it doesn't matter what course are in, you pretty much have to go unless you've got a good reason.. if you can't go, then speak to jenny donovan at jenny@it.uts.edu.au.

but you probably don't realise how helpful the camp is until afterwards... because you meet people from different courses (dont forget BIT is only 20 something people) and its good having lots of friends in uni :)

Rayhau

HSC
so must i be enrolled into my course before registering for camp ?

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
just wondering why they dont tell us where it is =/

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC

Times are tough, my friend. For some people, it's nothing, and the "mandatory" camp is a good investment. I had a hard time pulling some funds together, and found myself short of a textbook, which certainly didn't help (turns out I was able to get a scholarship, but since you're BIT, that won't be a problem). I was under the assumption we'd learn some vital information; I can give you the full rundown on a one-to-one if you want, and if you dig around on the UTS website, you can find the bulk of it. Room format, general procedures, and some basic 'course overview'. Outside of that, the only thing you're missing is the social factor, but after group-work, you'll know more people than you can keep up with.

Honestly, I'd give it a miss. I know a few people who could afford it but didn't want to spend the money, so all the more reason for people who can't to do the same. That said, it might be a good idea to email Jenny (as mentioned by Jess previously).

To anybody who can afford it, I still recommend they go. It's fun, and will save a lot of time searching for certain bits of information, but for some people, university is expensive enough as is without worrying about coming up with another $60-$90 (or the price of some cheaper textbooks).

just wondering why they dont tell us where it is =/
Yeah, I'm still confused about that. They never tell you why they didn't tell you, but I can only assume it has to do with students telling their friends, who may show up uninvited. I knew a guy who lived maybe 10km from the camp site, but had to go all the way to UTS just to come all the way back. Other than that rare occurrence, it's really not too important if you don't know where it is. IIRC, they provide an ETA, so if you draw a circle around UTS the distance that the bus could travel in that time period, it's probably somewhere in there.

Last edited:

hujikolp

HSC
the site u gave us huratio, doesn't really tell u much.. it's just got a little paragraph and then links to photos from a couple of years ago..lol.. but i guess it's good, keeps it more of a suprise :p

so does anyone know around how many people are expected to be coming on the camp?
and do we get to choose who is in our cabins when we get there?

and in the info booklet we got at enrolment, it says to bring a backpack with all your stuff.. but i really don't think i'll fit a towel and the sheets, and other stuff it says u need, in one of my backpacks..

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
the site u gave us huratio, doesn't really tell u much.. it's just got a little paragraph and then links to photos from a couple of years ago..lol.. but i guess it's good, keeps it more of a suprise :p

so does anyone know around how many people are expected to be coming on the camp?
and do we get to choose who is in our cabins when we get there?

and in the info booklet we got at enrolment, it says to bring a backpack with all your stuff.. but i really don't think i'll fit a towel and the sheets, and other stuff it says u need, in one of my backpacks..
It is meant to be a "mystery" location. I guess you will probably get a bit more info during enrolment, but yeah, most of the other things are a suprise =D

Anyone doing an IT course is expected to come.

You do not get to choose cabins, the staff pre-assign them.

Backpack/Bag.. doesn't really matter, bring as much as you think you will need, but don't overpack =p

hujikolp

HSC
cool..
so u don't know an approximate number of people?
is there usually a lot more guys than girls on the camp?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
cool..
so u don't know an approximate number of people?
is there usually a lot more guys than girls on the camp?
Number of people... actually, I think I might still have a list... ehhh, I don't want to count it. If you use number of offers as an estimate it should be about 280, which, if memory serves, should be about right.

There are usually more guys than girls in Math/Comp and IT, so as it stands, yes, there will be more guys than girls on the camp (but I can't give you a percentage, unfortunately).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)