First Year Law Student (1 Viewer)

S

Slide

Hey Guys I got into grad law and since i've done Australian legal system and Research & Writing in my previous degree i don't have to do them this time around.

That leaves me with Contract and Admin this semester. My question is this: is there any advice for a first year law student attempting these subjects? Like any particular way to study that you've found the most effective, pitfalls etc?

Also my other question relates to articles. The convention is normally that people do articles when they are in their penultimate year. For grad law this is second year. Is this usually okay?

Thanks everyone :)

avant

HSC
1) attend all lectures 2) previous years' notes will be a good substitute for some of the course reading but try to read and really get a 'feel' for the seminal cases, not just their ratios but their obiter (side remarks) and also the tone of the judgments. Good practice for later on. You will not be able to read 100% of the assigned reading and no one expects you to.

Do practice exams.

in VIC, you now apply for seasonal clerkships in the late stages of your penultimate year. You undertake seasonal clerkships in the first half of your final year and you then apply for articles of clerkship during your final year.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
Firstly, definitely get some notes from previous year law students. I found them immensely helpful. I'm not saying don't do the readings (generally speaking, I tend to gloss them at best) but having the ratio/obiter 'figured' out for you is an absolute lifesaver when it comes to certain obtuse - if not all - judgments.

Secondly, I'm not sure about your university, but at UNSW, cater your responses to your lecturer. Almost every lecturer I've had had their own idiosyncrasies. Some prefer you use texts that they've specified that are outside the requirements of the course outline. Some don't care as long as it you've satisfied the requirements of the course outline. Some have very peculiar conceptions regarding the manner in which you address the problem. For instance, some might prefer more in-depth exploration of certain issues over an overview of all possible issues. (Although in a perfect world they would want both present, some times this just isn't possible.)

Lastly, do whatever works for you. Regardless of what other people say, if you find a certain method that resounds with you, then that's great and stick with it! Personally, my method of studying involves a lot of cramming, last-minute note writing and the incurring of significant sleep debt. I've tried other methods (like studying 2 weeks before) and it never works for me. I just end up getting frustrated and panicking because I forget all I learn over that seemingly brief span of time.

mrbsting

HSC
Contracts is a tough subject, no doubt. I suggest the following:

1. Get notes. Either through friends or online from past students; google is your friend. If you would like my notes PM me :)

2. Invest in Butterworths Questions & Answers (Contract Law) 2009 and you can't go wrong for assignments / essays. $45-50 is the difference between a credit and a d/hd grade. Butterworths' tutorial book series are also a great resource. If you can't afford it, your library should have a copy on the shelves. I suggest you borrow it early.

3. Do the readings. You won't pass / do well if you don't read the cases, or at the very least the summaries and the ratios.

4. Summarise the cases and learn them. There are about a dozen cases you should know off the top of your head, some key cases include:

R v Clarke
Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball
Williams v Roffey Bros
Walton Stores v Maher
Thornton v Shoe Lane Parking
Khouri v Khoury
Masters v Cameron
Toll v Alphafarm
Oscar Chess
Ellull Ellull v Oakes
Darlington v Delco
Codelfa Constructions v SRA
Edgington v Fitzmaurice
Hoenig v Isaacs
Amadio
Crescendo Management v WBC

Know the statutes and their operation: e.g s52 TPA, Contracts Review Act, Frustrated Contracts Act, s54a conveyancing act etc.

If you don't know these a week out from your exam / takehome, you are in trouble.

5. Use flow charts. I found them helpful when conducting offer and acceptance analysis + interplay with postal rule.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
For jellybelly and others who have been cursed with the abhorrent misfortune of doing law.

Last edited:

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
For jellybelly and others who have been cursed with the abhorrent misfortune of doing law.
I should have typed up my notes for my Foundations final >_<

I can't share my notes at all -__________-

rx34

HSC
Hey do you guys recommend typing your notes? I was thinking before each class, I would do the readings and type notes which I think would be relevant. I would then print it out and handwrite more notes as the lecturer talks about it.

Or should I just buy a netbook and type notes in class instead of printing out?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Hey do you guys recommend typing your notes? I was thinking before each class, I would do the readings and type notes which I think would be relevant. I would then print it out and handwrite more notes as the lecturer talks about it.

Or should I just buy a netbook and type notes in class instead of printing out?
I do exactly just that nowadays; for CP marks. But for finals come up with another set which is more concise and easy to flick through.

bored at work

HSC
Hmm, seems like it wasn't a typo at all. I think I can safely say that with an attitude like that you will never make it in the legal profession.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
The title of the document have been renamed to avoid offence. Please do note that the document was not written for anyone but myself. It was written purely for the sake of convenience, as one would write "aust, brit, euro..etc." and no offence was intended.

Edit..something is wrong with the site's upload thing, i will replace it at another time..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)