First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Re: MATH1131 help thread

Two day-before-exam questions confusing me that I'm gonna chuck in this thread...

This part isn't hard with implicit differentiation but how would the "line" y=-x/2 + 3/2 be visualised? I guess, I mean in R3

This has me confused.

...The answers just have me confused. Like I follow it but don't get how they get to the final result. Mainly because they started on the second derivative and that scared me.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Two day-before-exam questions confusing me that I'm gonna chuck in this thread...

This part isn't hard with implicit differentiation but how would the "line" y=-x/2 + 3/2 be visualised? I guess, I mean in R3

This has me confused.

...The answers just have me confused. Like I follow it but don't get how they get to the final result. Mainly because they started on the second derivative and that scared me.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

This has me confused.

leehuan

HSC

Easy enough. The answer to this is just x=(1,0,-1,2)T+lambda1(0,3,-1,0)T+lambda2(0,1,3,0)T

Bit confused as to how to do this question properly. I randomly guessed this one:

x=(1,0,-1,2)T+mu1(0,0,-1,0)T+mu2(0,1,3,0)T

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Easy enough. The answer to this is just x=(1,0,-1,2)T+lambda1(0,3,-1,0)T+lambda2(0,1,3,0)T

Bit confused as to how to do this question properly. I randomly guessed this one:

x=(1,0,-1,2)T+mu1(0,0,-1,0)T+mu2(0,1,3,0)T
Note that the first component of every vector in plane P is 2. So one way to guarantee we don't intersect with P is to make sure vectors in our new plane never have first component 2. And one way to do this is to make the first component of both direction vectors 0, which is what you did, so that's good. (I assume you can see why this ensures the planes won't intersect.)

For the non-parallelism part, note that the span of the direction vectors for P is like "R^2" with first and last component 0. I.e. It is {(0,x,y,0): x, y are real}. This is essentially because the first and last components of the direction vectors in P are both 0 (which is why their span has this property too), and the middle two components (components 2 and 3), if treated like two-tuples, form a basis for R^2. This means in summary that the span of the two direction vectors in P is precisely all vectors of the form (0,x,y,0).

We want our new plane to NOT have this span (since we want non-parallelism). Unfortunately, the direction vectors you chose have exactly the same span as before (so the two planes ARE parallel)! This is because the direction vectors you chose for your proposed plane have first and last component 0 and (0,-1) and (1,3) (the two middle two-tuples in your proposed plane's direction vectors) still span R^2. (I assume you can see why they do this.)

So instead an easy way to prevent the parallelism is to just make one of your current proposed direction vectors have non-zero fourth component (we want 0 first components to ensure first component in proposed plane never has value 2, thus guaranteeing non-intersection with P). So just change your first direction vector in the proposed plane to (0,0,-1,1) say (many possible choices).

Then with this choice of first direction vector (and same second one, which again could be many things), we have ensured the spans of the two planes are different. (Why? Because second plane has (0,0,-1,1) in the span of its direction vectors, which isn't in the first plane's one since this has 1 in its fourth component.)

leehuan

HSC

The hardest question on the exam

Prove that if a matrix A and its inverse A^-1 both have only integer terms, then the determinant of the matrix must equal to 1 or -1 (any n by n matrix)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The hardest question on the exam

Prove that if a matrix A and its inverse A^-1 both have only integer terms, then the determinant of the matrix must equal to 1 or -1 (any n by n matrix)

Note it is clear that det(A) is a non-zero integer. (Non-zero 'cos it's invertible and integer as seen by the fact the determinant expansion contains all integer terms as A has only integer entries; one way to see this via Laplace expansion and an induction on the size of the matrix to show that the minors are all integers too. It'll be similarly easy to see from other definitions of determinants.) Say det(A) = k.

Since det(A-1) = 1/(det(A)) for any invertible matrix A, we have det(A-1) = 1/k. But similarly det(A-1) must be an integer (as all of A-1's entries are given to be integers), say K. So K = 1/k. Clearly the only way we can get integers k and K satisfying K = 1/k is if k = +/- 1 (‡). In other words, det(A) must be equal to 1 or -1, and the proof is complete.

(‡) Because if k is an integer with magnitude bigger than 1, then 1/k isn't an integer, but we already said 1/k = K is an integer.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Sorta frustrating because I swear in the exam I was headed in that direction but the I walked backwards

leehuan

HSC

This was the other hard one

I let X be the time that said event occurs, which is discrete given how we're considering ti as a finite set

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

This was the other hard one

I let X be the time that said event occurs, which is discrete given how we're considering ti as a finite set

For b), the pmf has to sum to 1 when summed from k = 1 to n. The sum is telescopic (factoring out alpha). The sum is: alpha*(1- r^n). So alpha = 1/(1 – r^n).

In terms of what values r can be, note p_k = alpha*r^(k-1) * (1-r). The pmf is such that p_k is non-negative for all k and sums to 1. This occurs iff r > 0, r =/= 1. (The reason that r can't be 0 or 1 since then all the probabilities are 0, so the pmf wouldn't sum to 1. Also, r can't be negative, since then the pmf values will alternate in sign (as n > 1) and then we'd have one of the probabilities be negative. Note r can be greater than 1, as then the pmf is still positive always as the alpha is negative and the 1-r is negative. The sum is still 1 of course by the choice of alpha.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

For b), the pmf has to sum to 1 when summed from k = 1 to n. The sum is telescopic (factoring out alpha). The sum is: alpha*(1- r^n). So alpha = 1/(1 – r^n).

In terms of what values r can be, note p_k = alpha*r^(k-1) * (1-r). The pmf is such that p_k is non-negative for all k and sums to 1. This occurs iff 0 < r < 1. (The reason that r can't be 0 or 1 since then all the probabilities are 0, so the pmf wouldn't sum to 1. Also, r can't be negative, since then the pmf values will alternate in sign (as n > 1) and then we'd have one of the probabilities be negative.)
Oh wow I might've been able to scab off some marks then.

leehuan

HSC

Gonna dump this technicality question here as I don't know where to put it.

With the squeeze theorem, does it matter if the inequality is strict?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

It doesn't matter. I.e. if x(n) < ƒ(n) < y(n) for all positive integers n (or after some point at least), and x(n) and y(n) both tend to a as n → ∞, then ƒ(n) also tends to a; and this statement holds also if some of those inequality signs were strict.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

It's irrelevant for the purposes of your mathematical analysis.

Like, say, 1/x tends to zero as x grows in size, but never is equal to zero for any real value x

However, since you are analysing the limit behaviour it is equal to zero in the limit.

Flop21

HSC

What does this mean

(∂^2*z)/∂y∂x

So I've seen the partial derivative sign and the second partial derivative sign/expression, but what does that mean^

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

What does this mean

(∂^2*z)/∂y∂x

So I've seen the partial derivative sign and the second partial derivative sign/expression, but what does that mean^
It's a second derivative where you partially differentiate wrt x then partially differentiate again wrt y.

Flop21

HSC

What do they want here, I don't understand

I always get really stuck on these online tutorials because of weird things I just can't do like that ^

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

What do they want here, I don't understand

I always get really stuck on these online tutorials because of weird things I just can't do like that ^
Looks like they want you to give a non-zero solution for alpha, beta, gamma.

Flop21

HSC

Looks like they want you to give a non-zero solution for alpha, beta, gamma.
and how do I do that? Wouldn't you use back substitution, but I'm confused how since it has infinite solutions doesn't it?

EDIT: Hold up I'm figuring it out, shall report back if still don't understand.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Still have no clue :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)