First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: MATH1131 help thread

flop you know you can bug the maple consultants for this stuff too right

or the SSS people

Flop21

HSC

flop you know you can bug the maple consultants for this stuff too right

or the SSS people
no I didn't, thought it was for real maple only

plus I think I'm more stuck on the actual math, unless they're keen to help on that too.

I also didn't know SSS existed, thanks I think I need it.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

and how do I do that? Wouldn't you use back substitution, but I'm confused how since it has infinite solutions doesn't it?

EDIT: Hold up I'm figuring it out, shall report back if still don't understand.
Still have no clue :(
Yeah you can do it via back substitution (or just inspection). As usual, the matrix U represents linear equations in the variables alpha, beta, gamma. (First column is for coefficients of alpha, second for beta, and third for gamma.) So they're asking for a non-zero solution to the system of equations described by that matrix.

Oh, and it only asks us to give a specific such solution (which is why I said it could be done via inspection). If you use back-substitution, you don't need to worry about capturing all the solutions for the purposes of this question, just need to give one particular one.

This means if you're doing back-substitution and are about to set a non-leading variable (just gamma here) to a parameter, you can just set it to a particular number (like 1, or 5, or whatever specific non-zero number you like; choosing 5 is one way to make the arithmetic easy, as it'll mean you avoid fractions popping up when solving for the other variables. If you picked 0 as the number, all the other variables would come out to 0 too, which isn't what we want.). Then you can solve for numerical values of the other variables, which will give you a desired solution.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

no I didn't, thought it was for real maple only

plus I think I'm more stuck on the actual math, unless they're keen to help on that too.

I also didn't know SSS existed, thanks I think I need it.
i've sat there for four weeks and answered like two maple queries

i'm up for answering most things at this point - it'll be a nice change from thesis

Flop21

HSC

Yeah you can do it via back substitution (or just inspection). As usual, the matrix U represents linear equations in the variables alpha, beta, gamma. (First column is for coefficients of alpha, second for beta, and third for gamma.) So they're asking for a non-zero solution to the system of equations described by that matrix.

Oh, and it only asks us to give a specific such solution (which is why I said it could be done via inspection). If you use back-substitution, you don't need to worry about capturing all the solutions for the purposes of this question, just need to give one particular one.

This means if you're doing back-substitution and are about to set a non-leading variable (just gamma here) to a parameter, you can just set it to a particular number (like 1, or 5, or whatever specific non-zero number you like; choosing 5 is one way to make the arithmetic easy, as it'll mean you avoid fractions popping up when solving for the other variables. If you picked 0 as the number, all the other variables would come out to 0 too, which isn't what we want.). Then you can solve for numerical values of the other variables, which will give you a desired solution.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Got it now.

But what if the first column, alpha, is all zeros? How do I find alpha then?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Got it now.

But what if the first column, alpha, is all zeros? How do I find alpha then?
In that case, alpha could be anything whatsoever, since it doesn't appear in any of the equations that the matrix would represent (alternatively, the first column would be non-leading then, so alpha would be set to a parameter).

So in that case, if you wanted a particular solution, you could just take alpha to be any particular number, like 1.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

i've sat there for four weeks and answered like two maple queries

i'm up for answering most things at this point - it'll be a nice change from thesis
how do u use maple commands to get a gf

matchalolz

HSC

Can someone please help me find the derivative of this?

g(y)=sin3y−3(cos2y)^2

I can't remember how to differentiate trig stuff lmao

matchalolz

HSC

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 6.00.01 pm.png

Kind of stuck on this, so I tried to equate the (1-z)/(1+z) bit and then sub in z=a+ib. And the real part simplified down to (1-2a+a^2-b^2)/(1-a^b+b^2) (if I even did this correctly). And I'm assuming since |z| =1, (a^2 + b^2) = 1. But I don't really know what to do next?

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A

Alternatively,

______

By the way, it would be great if you posted up your work so we can identify the errors.

Last edited:

matchalolz

HSC

Alternatively,

______

By the way, it would be great if you posted up your work so we can identify the errors.
I'm following the working but in the first step, I don't understand why we're multiply by (1+z conjugate)/(1+z conjugate)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)