First-year Mathematics courses (1 Viewer)

miluiel

HSC
So I'm doing the Bachelor of Psychology... and I'm thinking for my Science course I'll do a maths one, but I'm not sure whether I should do Mathematics for Life Sciences or Mathematics 1A. In the HSC I got a 95 for Maths Adv and a 42 for Maths Ext.

Would it be difficult to do well in the Life Sciences course because it's easier (and therefore more people would be good at it), or is it a safer option than 1A?

Thanks. :)

Tim035

HSC
Maths for life science is all you'd need to do (probabley more) for a psychology major. However with the marks you got in the HSC I'm sure you could cope with Math1131.
I wouldn't worry much about the subject "pulling your mark because more people will do exceptionally well in it" Uni doesn't tend to really work like that to the extent the HSC does (or atleast in my experience so far).
The first half of math for life science is all matrix algebra based which was a new concept to me, however the 2nd half which is calculus based was largely 3 unit revision bar the last couple of weeks of work. A lot of people when I did the course were kids who did 3 and even 4 unit math who wished to cruise through the 1st year of uni, and hence in the class tests there was always like a dozen people who got 100%

Last edited:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Yeah with those marks you should do 1131 but for psychology I guess you wouldn't need it. Do 1131 if you really like maths anyway.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
D isn't too hard in 1131/life sciences. Do all the tuts and you'll get a D.

It's easier to transfer to an easier stream than to transfer to a harder stream since 1131 will go faster than life sciences. I'd make you your mind pretty quickly.

1131 will be fine with your marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)