= firsts (Good god) (1 Viewer)

themanman

HSC
N/A
alright this is bullshit

what if this happens (which is most likely to occur)

Highest external: 97

2nd highest: 88 - 90

are they seriously going to average those out for the internals? thats absolutely ridiculous

would the highest be considered an outlier?

Last edited:
HSC
Re: = Fuckin firsts (Good god)

Do you mean if two people are tied first and then their ranks are sent in as tied first but in the external, 1 gets 97 and the other gets 90ish?

If so, yes, they average it. But that result is unlikely as the end of year ranks are a pretty good gauge anyway.

themanman

HSC
N/A

Do you mean if two people are tied first and then their ranks are sent in as tied first but in the external, 1 gets 97 and the other gets 90ish?

If so, yes, they average it. But that result is unlikely as the end of year ranks are a pretty good gauge anyway.
yes

and no it is actually very likely... teachers poor judgement at putting him anywhere near 1st. being oblivious to the hsc questions he is going to mess up big time

if they still average regardless, its going to be a very sad day for me

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A

alright this is bullshit

what if this happens (which is most likely to occur)

Highest external: 97

2nd highest: 88 - 90

are they seriously going to average those out? thats absolutely ridiculous

would the highest be considered an outlier?
That definitely looks like an outlier.. it would be only sensible for the board of studies to remove that result, because it doesn't seem too fair, by the person who scored 97.

themanman

HSC
N/A

That definitely looks like an outlier.. it would be only sensible for the board of studies to remove that result, because it doesn't seem too fair, by the person who scored 97.
thats what im hoping for :(

any confirmation on whether this is a rule for the BOS

ReneeApple

HSC

I think you get to keep your external result, but they will average out your moderated internal assessment mark

HSC

nah this happened to me and did some research on it...

apparently, the 50% of your internal mark is split into two; his mark + your mark/2

so eg he gets 90% you get 97% your internal mark would become 90+97/2 = 93.5 = 94

however your external mark would become 97

so overall, 97+94/2 = 96

it doesn't have TOO much of an impact but nonetheless it's there

themanman

HSC
N/A

I think you get to keep your external result, but they will average out your moderated internal assessment mark
thats what im not hoping for :(

but yea im talking about in relation to internals
everyone gets to keep their externals

ReneeApple

HSC

teachers poor judgement at putting him anywhere near 1st
How did the teachers put him at first? Do you mean the teachers choose the ranks instead of your individually achieved marks?

themanman

HSC
N/A

How did the teachers put him at first? Do you mean the teachers choose the ranks instead of your individually achieved marks?
its a long story but they fucked up his marks and put him 1st
they asked him to bring in his papers in which he 'lost them'

so im getting fucked over now

HSC

"Note that if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the mean of the top two (or more) examination marks. This is also the case if students are tied on the bottom assessment mark. Please also note that the standard deviation is never used to moderate school assessment marks."

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

themanman

HSC
N/A

"Note that if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the mean of the top two (or more) examination marks. This is also the case if students are tied on the bottom assessment mark. Please also note that the standard deviation is never used to moderate school assessment marks."

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
so outliers dont count?

themanman

HSC
N/A

what? no

if your equal first internally then your internal mark is averaged with the other person your external mark stays the same
oh
i thought that they factor in outlier external results when moderating the internals (even in relation to =1sts)

is this not the case?

ReneeApple

HSC

its a long story but they fucked up his marks and put him 1st
they asked him to bring in his papers in which he 'lost them'

so im getting fucked over now

Ouch D:

themanman

HSC
N/A

tell me about it

is there anything i can do about this issue x(

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A

thats what im hoping for :(

any confirmation on whether this is a rule for the BOS
the board of studies states that they average the two highest external marks. but I' pretty sure they are open to the fact there can be a gap between ( a massive one like in the 97/88-90 example) and that to me looks like an outlier..the only way to confirm this is actually write to the BOS and ask them. I truly feel sorry for you, because it shouldn't work like that if you are topping the course.

themanman

HSC
N/A

the board of studies states that they average the two highest external marks. but I' pretty sure they are open to the fact there can be a gap between ( a massive one like in the 97/88-90 example) and that to me looks like an outlier..the only way to confirm this is actually write to the BOS and ask them. I truly feel sorry for you, because it shouldn't work like that if you are topping the course.
Thanks for the info!

I know ive been upset about it heaps and the teachers are having a go at me for challenging them..

teachers are fucked up people (not all but most)

drive me insane

enoilgam

HSC

I think (Ive heard this before not sure on its accuracy) that BOS factors huge discrepencies in ranks and marks into the moderation process. Again, this is only something I've heard floating around (maybe shadowdude could give us more information, he knows quite a bit on this topic).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)