= firsts (Good god) (1 Viewer)

Gigacube

HSC
Re: = Fuckin firsts (Good god)

I think (Ive heard this before not sure on its accuracy) that BOS factors huge discrepencies in ranks and marks into the moderation process. Again, this is only something I've heard floating around (maybe shadowdude could give us more information, he knows quite a bit on this topic).
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
There are a number of safeguards in place to ensure that all students are treated fairly by the moderation process. In particular, some students are initially excluded from the moderation of the assessments of their group. These include:

students who had an upheld illness/misadventure appeal and a relatively poorer examination result than assessment result;
students whose performance in the examination is markedly below what was expected on the basis of their performance relative to the group in the assessment;
other special cases as determined by the Board.

Gigacube

HSC

sorry im slow

but doesnt that just safeguard cunts that have been unfairly put at top rank and whose true colours show in the hsc exam when they bomb out?

that seems hardly fair at all
You should try and get in contact with BOS about your rank as it seems like your school isn't willing to change it.

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A

Thanks for the info!

I know ive been upset about it heaps and the teachers are having a go at me for challenging them..

teachers are fucked up people (not all but most)

drive me insane
I think the best way to find out is to e mail the BOS and provide them with this similar scenario and see how they go about responding. In the case of them, saying they average the two, regardless of the difference, then perhaps approach your school and tell them your concerns.
the only fair way, I see if two people tie for the rank, is to give both students the highest exam mark as both their internals. (it isn't completely fair, but I don't think it disadvantages the better performing student then).. unfortunately..Bos doesn't work the way we want it to..
hope things sort out well though! :)

themanman

HSC
N/A

I think the best way to find out is to e mail the BOS and provide them with this similar scenario and see how they go about responding. In the case of them, saying they average the two, regardless of the difference, then perhaps approach your school and tell them your concerns.
the only fair way, I see if two people tie for the rank, is to give both students the highest exam mark as both their internals. (it isn't completely fair, but I don't think it disadvantages the better performing student then).. unfortunately..Bos doesn't work the way we want it to..
hope things sort out well though! :)
thanks! and yes we will

teachers think they can say shit and get away with it

they arent god

tambam

HSC

This doesnt work because schools could just manipulate ranks and place many students on 1st. Then they will all get the same excellent internal mark, and this wouldn't be fair.

themanman

HSC
N/A

if u decide to e mail BOS and they get back to you, let us know!
Will do!

So just to summarise this thread..

if im an outlier with 97 and the other ranked 1st piece of shit gets 90

what internal am i looking at?

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A

Will do!

So just to summarise this thread..

if im an outlier with 97 and the other ranked 1st piece of shit gets 90

what internal am i looking at?
if you work it out according to the BOS regulations (omitting the outlier) then it is (97 + 90)/2 = 93.5 , but since it rounds up 94
and then your final HSC Mark will be (94+97)/2 = 95.5 which rounds up to 96, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but hey, if you deserve 97, why shouldn't you get it

themanman

HSC
N/A

if you work it out according to the BOS regulations (omitting the outlier) then it is (97 + 90)/2 = 93.5 , but since it rounds up 94
and then your final HSC Mark will be (94+97)/2 = 95.5 which rounds up to 96, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but hey, if you deserve 97, why shouldn't you get it
they only round up at the end, though.

so it will be 95. which is still a pretty big difference

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A

A student's exam result is left out of moderation if it is ruled to be a "depressed score". That is, it must be very significantly lower than the internal assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)