Fitbit (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
We got Fitbit Flex (the cheap basic one) at work the other day (also required us to 'share' our health data with our employer) but I'm curious if people find their fitbits useful after the initial novelty has worn off. I feel a bit odd wearing one with my Apple Watch on the other hand but I do enjoy that my Fitbit doesn't need recharging often and I just leave it on all day/night getting completeness of data (except when I did have to charge it yesterday).

D94

HSC
N/A
For me, I simply stopped using it. It was just a bit of a hassle (albeit, small) putting it on and then taking it off, syncing, charging etc. I don't wear watches so I don't have any sort of routine when taking off things like that.

However, my phone (HTC One M8) has a the capability to monitor steps with a few apps, including the fitbit app, and I carry my phone with me almost everywhere so that suffices. The times I don't have my phone with me is likely to be in situations where I don't walk much anyway, so it makes the fitbit itself redundant.

I could use it for sport/exercise, but intensity isn't only measured in steps and I can personally gauge how effective the session was, without using the fitbit.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I used to own a FitBit Flex HR and used it for about 2 months. After a while it felt quite pointless and seeming that it was a general hassle to wear around i decided to sell it.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Lost mine in a month, putting it on and taking it off was such a hassle (and hence the reason why I lost it, as I took it off to eat a meal and forgot about it)
Rip

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm I haven't taken it off much other than to charge. Surprisingly the simplicity of the device has been good. Even bought one for the fiance too. It's also been quite fun competing with people from the office. That being said the RRP of the Flex (basic model) at $150 is a shocker so I'm glad that the one I bought online from someone else (BNIB) was only $55.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
We got Fitbit Flex (the cheap basic one) at work the other day (also required us to 'share' our health data with our employer) but I'm curious if people find their fitbits useful after the initial novelty has worn off. I feel a bit odd wearing one with my Apple Watch on the other hand but I do enjoy that my Fitbit doesn't need recharging often and I just leave it on all day/night getting completeness of data (except when I did have to charge it yesterday).
I don't have one personally, but my sister uses it and the purpose her firm brought it in, was that it provides management a platform to compete with each other and for them to set an example in fitness and health in the office.

She's been using it for a couple of months and has mentioned to me to that it helps her stay on top of her fitness goals (she had a step goal for the end of day/week) and her sleeping patterns, especially since she sometimes works 14 hour days.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's more about the social competition and egging each other on. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
With fitbits, I think they are actually pretty good for elderly folks because it has the ability to track sleeping patterns and heart rate which is pretty useful when dealing with insomnia or anger/stress management. I bought one each for my rents, what was funny is that they started to challenge each other to be active more.

I am surprised on how employers care about their employees by buying the fitbits haha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder if it helps in talent management or at least insurance lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
It's okay. I used it to gauge how much I was burning during exercise but outside of that I don't use it. I have a charge HR

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My fitbit flex broke as it could no longer hold battery charge (at all) but I swapped for a replacement unit reasonably quickly. Beats me how it breaks given it really only does like... one thing.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I have thought about getting one although since I don't really do any exercise at all I'm not sure it would be of too much benefit. I'd want the HR one with the heartrate function although they look like they are bulky.

Did your employer make you wear it or was it optional? It sort of seems like an invasion of privacy.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I'm going to do City2Surf this year and thinking of getting one so I can track roughly how many steps would be the 14k and what paths I should use to train etc.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Are these worth it compared to the integrated health apps you can get on the app store which also count on your steps, can do heart rates etc.. (assuming you have a high end phone with the features needed)

KZK

HSC
I like it, I recently got mine, and find its really great. I recently lost my phone, so it was really useful to use as a watch. I also play lots of sports, and work out a bit, so i like being able to see how far i've walked and how many calories i've burnt.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have thought about getting one although since I don't really do any exercise at all I'm not sure it would be of too much benefit. I'd want the HR one with the heartrate function although they look like they are bulky.

Did your employer make you wear it or was it optional? It sort of seems like an invasion of privacy.
It's optional - could choose whether you wanted a device or not, and it's also optional to sign up to share data with the company. That being said I think some of the bosses were encouraged to wear.

As for the heartrate function- it seems to be useful in making this more than just an overglorified pedometer.

I'm going to do City2Surf this year and thinking of getting one so I can track roughly how many steps would be the 14k and what paths I should use to train etc.
I reckon if your'e willing to spend a bit more, get an advanced one which has like GPS and heartrate tracking to make it more meaningful in providing data analysis.

Are these worth it compared to the integrated health apps you can get on the app store which also count on your steps, can do heart rates etc.. (assuming you have a high end phone with the features needed)
Key thing is the assumption of whether you will wear your phone with you at all times when running/etc - I often leave my phone on my desk when I'm at work, and I don't keep it on me when I'm at home. I like having the fitness tracker just always on without having to worry much or think about it - this was my biggest issue with pedometers too. Getting one with good software to both let you analyse what you did as well as compete with friends (gamification!) is what will help make it more interesting.

HSC
i liked mine alot till it mc died in da humidity :'( my mudda gave it to me for chrissy one time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)