Fitness First, Ripped off - Help (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
Hi Guys,

My Fitness First membership was supposed to expire on the 2nd of Feb. What has happened is that they have charged me $54.95* on the 7th of February despite having signed a 1-year membership contract that was supposed to end on the 2nd of February.

I called them up to ask for a full refund. But they have told me they are unable to do so because the contract "does not expire" and the fornightly fee is ongoing until cancelled.

They have arranged an appointment with me this friday to cancel the contract and probably convince me to stay.

Is there any possible way i can get the $39.95 refund?

Thanks in adv.

*$39.95 fornightly fee (yes, extremely expensive) + $15 (new locker system fee)

Evilo

HSC
you have to read contracts carefully, in the contract it probably says you must apply in writing to fitness first before the 2nd of feb to no longer be charged.

morganforrest

HSC
No you will not get a refund. Check your paperwork. Your 'minimum term' may have expired then but I can pretty much guarantee that on the paperwork somewhere it will say that debits will continue until you notify the club in writing of your intention to terminate.

And 39.95 a fortnight isn't terrible. My gym is $32 for students.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I pay $15 a week (student price), at the gym run by my local club. No sauna or anything but it's not like I'd use it anyway.

Fitness First is well known for milking their customers. It's fine if you want to keep your contract, but I hear it's pretty hard to quit. At my gym they send me a letter every year before my contract expires. If I take no action, they stop withdrawing the money. I have to actively go and sign up again, and I get a free assessment and gym bag and whatever.

44Ronin

HSC
Fitness first is crap, I'd need to literally take every weight in the place and I'd still not get a decent benchpress.......

Pace_T

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
fitness first told me i had to give them 4 weeks notice if i wanted to terminate my membership after the contract is finished
thats fucked... but then again, only dodos would lock themselves into contracts for gym membership esp with fitness first. my peanuts are better wasted elsewhere, e.g. gambling lolol

NinjaSauce

HSC
44Ronin said:
Fitness first is crap, I'd need to literally take every weight in the place and I'd still not get a decent benchpress.......
While i do agree with the sentiment; that being there is too little plates in the gym...

But please stop abusing the word 'literally'. ARGH, it annoys me so much when people say everything is "like, ya know, literally". "He's going to kill me... literally!" Really? Your friend is REALLY going to KILL you? etc etc

People! Rise up with me and stop language abuse! Take to the streets, and smite those that can not use 'your' and 'you're' ! Smite all the inappropriate 'there/their/they're' users! Crush wrong American spelling!

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

[/tiny rant]

kow_dude

HSC
I just cancelled my membership about an hour ago. It was much faster than i expected.

They charged me a further $80 because of the one month notice thing. And then they told me there will be no more further charges from my bank account.

Cancellation process was about 3 minutes. Thank god.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
NinjaSauce said:
People! Rise up with me and stop language abuse! Take to the streets, and smite those that can not use 'your' and 'you're' ! Smite all the inappropriate 'there/their/they're' users! Crush wrong American spelling!

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:
...literally?

T

thegovernator

I don't like the things I've heard about fitness first from reading these forums.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
they cold called me once trying to make me join. I wasnt really responsive because i am kind of apathetic about it, but i stayed on the line and for some reason i agreed to go in for fitness assessment at some ungodly hour [10 am] they called me but i didnt pick up cause i was asleep, then i never heard from them again.

rozymisty

HSC
I pay $30 a fortnight to go to Goodlife so yeah thats pretty good for Fitness First, coz i thought they would be HEAPS more expensive since they try and promote themselves as more fanatical and shit like that.

I like my smaller gym any day thank you very much. Far easier to get a PT if you need one there than other places.

quik.

HSC
kow_dude said:
I just cancelled my membership about an hour ago. It was much faster than i expected.

They charged me a further $80 because of the one month notice thing. And then they told me there will be no more further charges from my bank account.

Cancellation process was about 3 minutes. Thank god.
You paid them 80 EXTRA dollars, for one month of time you did not spend there?

Did you wear the ball gag and call them daddy to?

kow_dude

HSC
I had no intention of further visiting fitness first. I just wanted to get out of the contract. So the upfront payment did not bother me as long as they stopped charging from my bank account.

Pace_T

HSC
my cuz got scummed by these fuckheads. he just transfers all his money from the billing account to his secondary account when its time for them to take the fees. and puts it back in later. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)