Fitzpatrick - is it really that bad? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've seen lots of people around the forums go, "Ohh, Cambridge is the best" "LOLpatrick" "You'll need good luck if you're using Fitzpatrick!" Is it really that bad? I'm getting conflicting views. I just started MX2 - and as my school uses Fitzpatrick for MX1, my maths teacher decided to get Fitzpatrick for MX2 as well. His view is, and I quote, "My view is that if you can do this *points to book*, you can do anything." But here... the story is quite different. Who to believe, who to believe... Dilemma? Thy name is textbook.

untouchablecuz

HSC
yes it is, too simplistic; buy cambridge, i did every question in cambridge and thus far it has served me well

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Fitzpatrick is great at the start (Complex/Graphs/Polynomials)
It starts getting ridiculous later on, Cambridge would be a better bet
I mean, take a look at Volumes. It's a joke.

That said, Fitzpatrick is wonderful for 3u

The Nomad

HSC
Fitzpatrick is great at the start (Complex/Graphs/Polynomials)
It starts getting ridiculous later on, Cambridge would be a better bet
I mean, take a look at Volumes. It's a joke.

That said, Fitzpatrick is wonderful for 3u
Are you joking? Complex Numbers and Curve Sketching in Fitzpatrick have got to be the biggest waste of time I've ever seen. The 3U one is good though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For 2 and 3U, Fitzpatrick is awesome. Most schools tend to lean towards, Patel, and Cambridge for 4U. And Maths in Focus is shit. Just thought you'd like to know. =P

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Are you joking? Complex Numbers and Curve Sketching in Fitzpatrick have got to be the biggest waste of time I've ever seen. The 3U one is good though.
Fitz was all I used for Complex and Graphs, and I recall that being my best test result (98%).

tehrobzorz

HSC
terry lee is just like a summary book...worked solutions are good but skips some steps sometimes

school uses cambridge

The Nomad

HSC
Fitz was all I used for Complex and Graphs, and I recall that being my best test result (98%).
Oh dear. Fitzpatrick barely has vectors in complex, and all the graphs is addition and subtraction of ordinates.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Umm... I used Fitzpatrick for complex numbers and polynomials only.

But I also used the Coroneos 4U book in lieu with that.

I reckon use Cambridge (or some other decent book) for harder 3U and graphs and then use Coroneos 4U book + Coroneos 4U supplement.

Alot of people are put off by the font though (didn't bother me much), but if you get over that, it should serve you well.

smpeace22

HSC
I used fitz for ext 2... and i think i just failed the hsc exam.... but then again my teacher was a 'first timer' who didnt prepare his lessons... so i was screwed regardless hahah

K

khorne

Coroneos isn't as applicable today as, say cambridge...While it's a good book, and the problems are moderate, some of the questions are just arbitary (i.e must use this method and these steps), which I find absurd.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Coroneos isn't as applicable today as, say cambridge...
Why not? It was the only 4U book out there when the course was first introduced. I think it's as good as it was back then as it is today.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
For 3U: Fitzpatrick is excellent. My school used MIF, but i just done the last 3 Q from each exercise (just to keep teacher happy) and did the complete excerise of fitzpatrick.

For 4U: I used Cambridge and Terry Lee, i thought cambridge was much better and answered every question in it.
Terry lee i only answered different Q.
I hear coroneas is a good book though.
Fitzpatrick is ok, but def not cambridge.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
LOL I used maths in focus last year haha. Thankfully I found it fucking easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)