Flexibility (1 Viewer)

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Anyone know how to really increase your flexibility for tae kwon do. Currently learning how to kick a tornado kick but couldnt get the foot past belt height =[.

Can someone tell me some really good stretch for the legs etc.

Cheer =]

jannny

HSC
shit sounds scary..

"tornado kick"

you will be armed and dangerous =(

Shoubadoo

HSC
zehurricane said:
Anyone know how to really increase your flexibility for tae kwon do. Currently learning how to kick a tornado kick but couldnt get the foot past belt height =[.

Can someone tell me some really good stretch for the legs etc.

Cheer =]
If you wanna see a reaal tornado kick look at this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eVC6nXpeDB8&feature=related

Well I did dance (until I had to stop cause of HSC) and the contemporary dance I did is sort of similar to Tae Kwon Doe, which is quite a dance-like form of martial arts.
I did pretty simple stretches and before long, I was flexible enough to do the splits. The stretches I did were:
Stand with legs slightly further than shoulder width apart, bend from head downward, arms outstretched, and go as far as you can without bending knees. Then crouch, straighten, and slowly roll body upwards. Repeat and then move legs closer together.

Then there's the one where you sit in pike (legs outstretched but together) and lean forward, trying to touch your toes as far as you feel you can go without hurting yourself.

Those are good for your hamstrings.
If you do even those 3 times a week or every day, you'll be on the way to those tornado kicks. But there's tooons more you can do.

Try these sites:
http://www.ir.isas.jaxa.jp/~cpp/TKD/warmup/stretch-e.html
and
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/flexibility.html
Toodles :)http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/flexibility.html

Last edited:

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
LOL really hehe. I got kick in the head trying to do tornado kick yesterday by a black belt girl. LOL i feel ashame but damn she can kick.

Shoubadoo

HSC
What, shame cause she's a girl?! Haha.

What belt are you? What black belt level is she on, or do you have just the one level per belt?

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Im blue and she was 1st black belt =[. Was sparring for fun damn she kick like a man but her face is soo innocence.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
LOL. Girls are evil. Malicious female pigs, wait that a song by Sadie =]

NinjaSauce

HSC
janny:
you will be armed and dangerous =(
This made me chuckle in a couple of ways. TKD pretty much has limp arms, and is all about flying around kicking. Yes, I am taking the phrase over-literally.

Second, TKD is waaaaaay more ART than MARTIAL. At best, it is a sport. Outside of that, it is more a limited form of leg-dominate gymnastics, dance, or system of movement. As someone who started from youth, took it to 1st-dan black belt before getting bored with it (my father, and older brother continued, are now 4th-dan). TKD is in no way, at all, ever, something you should be learning for self defense.

Just getting that kill-joy stuff out of the way. :p

"Stretching":
It is the general standard stretching advice you'll always hear, plus a better way of applying it (I will use leg examples, as most people care for this).
  • Frequency. Frequency. Frequency. Do it while watching TV. etc.
  • Never hurt yourself, or feel beyond-comfort pain. It is better to take a step back, than go too far. Take it back a notch, and do it again later (point 1).
  • Typical stretching as most people see it (try to pull a muscle beyond typical range of motion) is actually the slowest manner of getting more limber. You need "Relaxed tension". Avoiding all the technical mumbo-jumbo, If you flex (hard) one muscle, the antagonist (opposite muscle) will relax (it must, its nature).
  • When stretching your hamstrings, take it to just the point of tension, and FLEX the quads - HARD. And wait it out. Start with 30 seconds, build up to 2-3 minutes (if your new to this, you will struggle, which is why you build). Some people build to 5 minutes (PAIN), find what works for you.
  • Slowly relax, and move onto another muscle group (or other leg, etc). No need for 'sets', just use more frequency.
  • Best books on market, which go into detail of this: Pavel Tsatsouline's "Relax into the stretch", and Stadion publishing's "Stretching Scientifically". If you want 1, get the first, it is lighter reading, and easier to understand.
Some other general stretching tips:
  • Stretching makes you temporilying weaker. Do not do it before the gym, exercise, etc. After, and at night is best. Or early in morn - depending on training time.
  • There are more muscles in your body than your legs. Remember that.
  • Considering that TKD is leg dominate - remember: Hamstrings, Calves, tibialis anterior (front of shins), Quads, Butt, and Piriformis if you sit a lot (though, this is random on who it effects, and you'll know when it gets bad - sciatica!).
  • If you can't flex you hamstrings, they are not strong enough, or you are not aware that they exist. Get thee to a gym to Deadlift!
Mobility:
  • You need limber ankles. Roll in, Roll out, Up down, side to side.
  • You do NOT want mobile knees. You want STABLE knees. Only up and down, no side-to-side. Squat.
  • Mobile hips. You should be able to full squat on your heels ass-to-grass. For many reps, and sit for time (the 'Asian Squat'). Perfect TV-time practice!
TKD Stuff:
  • Front kicks. Everyone forgets them because they are the 'first-noob-exercise'. I know you want to practice 'tornado kicks', and 'spinning-reverse-axe-kicks', and 'jumping-back-kick-into-turning-kick'. But a well placed front kick isn't seen coming (especially to gung-ho-black-belts), and is a very stable position. (Plus you move forward quickly, as it is a giant step forward).
  • Move FORWARD. Hard to commit any damage if stepping backwards. DOMINATE. If you both clash at short range, do not back away, keep it. (Front kicks are awesome here, and if you have the flexibility you'll hit the chin. If you miss, right in the solar plexus - winnah!).
  • Punching is fun. If you are World TKD rules, you are allowed to in the torso. You are not a boxer, thus you'll probably break your hands on the rib cage, so stomach, and upper-cuts. In competition, they are padded up, so this can change. Plus, if you connect (you'll have to punch and PUSH with the fist for it to be seen, due to the padding. i.e.: knock them back) you get 1 point. Fun times!

I wrote waaaay too much :)

My opinion on if you are looking for self-defense, is pick boxing, or wrestling, or both. And get hurt. No one EVER got good at fighting without taking a beating. Plus, well, put on muscle. The 'martial art of strength' is probably one of the most effective. :) I am about 20-30 kilos heavier now that my TKD days, and all the better for it.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
technique > strength.

In kendo, not everything is about strength. i've seen a person with no legs play in kendo and win. The video is taken donw from youtube.. but ii'll try to find it again..

@scaredytiger: OMG!! TENGENTOPPAGURRENLAGANN!! :O

NinjaSauce

HSC
shinji said:
technique > strength.

In kendo, not everything is about strength. i've seen a person with no legs play in kendo and win. The video is taken donw from youtube.. but ii'll try to find it again..
Kendo is a bloody weapon art.

Not comparable.

I could give a 60kg 12 year old a sword (with NO training), and I (10 years his senior, and 40kg above his weight class) would killed. Quickly.

Should be obviously redundant to say, but blades will mess you up. Weapons change everything. We are talking about mano-el-mano, Fisty-cuffs, brawling, etc. Using what you said, what if we had a duel with pistols - OBVIOUSLY technique is more important. A bullet travels are the same speed regardless of who pulls the trigger.

Nat3skiz

HSC
NinjaSauce said:
Kendo is a bloody weapon art.

Not comparable.

I could give a 60kg 12 year old a sword (with NO training), and I (10 years his senior, and 40kg above his weight class) would killed. Quickly.

Should be obviously redundant to say, but blades will mess you up. Weapons change everything. We are talking about mano-el-mano, Fisty-cuffs, brawling, etc. Using what you said, what if we had a duel with pistols - OBVIOUSLY technique is more important. A bullet travels are the same speed regardless of who pulls the trigger.
thats a big 12 year old

NinjaSauce

HSC
damn it,

I don't know children's weights. Fine, a Midget - happy?

Lets not take this off topic.

Nat3skiz

HSC
NinjaSauce said:
damn it,

I don't know children's weights. Fine, a Midget - happy?
mildly.

by the way i didn't understand your post, who did you say would get killed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)