Flexible Entry into a New Course (1 Viewer)

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
How do bonus points work when there is no cut-off for a particular course? The course I want to do (Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences) has no cut-off, but the Arts faculty website says that bonus points are offered for the course. How would I know if I am five-points below the cut-off (and therefore eligible for bonus points) if there is no cut-off to begin with?

I tried to call Usyd's hotline but got frustrated after being put on hold for ages. :mad1:

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
Yeah, but that's only the expected cut-off. Is that what I should really be basing it on? I wasn't directly asking what the cut-off is, I am just wondering how bonus points apply if there is no real cut-off.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Yeah, but that's only the expected cut-off. Is that what I should really be basing it on? I wasn't directly asking what the cut-off is, I am just wondering how bonus points apply if there is no real cut-off.
it'll be based on whatever this year's cut-off is when they calculate it, i guess.

engineering

HSC
N/A
You are not going to get a definite answer. It all depends on supply and demand. There is just as much uncertainty about getting into this course as with any other if you are near the cutoff.

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
Well, I called up the arts faculty and they explained it and said that with the course as my first preference and the good marks that I have in English, Legal and Extension 1, I have a good chance of getting in. :)

You are not going to get a definite answer. It all depends on supply and demand. There is just as much uncertainty about getting into this course as with any other if you are near the cutoff.
Yeah, I totally understand that. This uncertainty sucks! xD Thanks for your help tho. :)

dafs2

HSC
Isn't this just a glorified Arts degree with a whole heap of restrictions? What's the point?
So true. I do the B. Economic and Social Sciences (the previous name of this degree, but with less restrictions). I'm being forced to do a Major and Minor in the areas of govt/ecop/econ/work ... and ANYONE doing an Arts degree can do the exact unit pathways i am taking.. a major in Govt and a minor in Ecop. The difference is they walk away with "B. Arts' and i get 'B. Eco. Soc Sci'. However they can do so much more without the restrictions.. ie i hate Ecop but there's nothing i can do about it, i have do complete a total of 24 credit points in it so i can get my degree.

Although B. Arts students HAVE to do a major in the Arts Faculty, they always have enough space to take units from the Faculty of Science / Business & Economics etc too ... enough space to say, complete a Major in Economics, Finance, Marketing etc. While with the B.PESS you are forced to do major in the certain areas of govt, sociology etc, B. arts students can do exactly the same - except they have the choice and freedom to be more flexible. Pretty gay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)