• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Floppy discs (1 Viewer)

S

Shuter

jasee said:
1 MB actually equals 1024 KiloBytes and 1KB equals 1024 Bytes and 1 Byte equals 8 bits. A bit can be represented as a 0 or 1. A bit of computing 101 for you there :).
Looks like I'll be bored as hell in that subject then! (or at least skipping the lectures).

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
thats why Im doing the design part of computers :p I knwo Ill prolly need to kwo this stuff anyways bt itll be more design than anythign else..

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
true.. I know some of it.. I know a lot of the dsign stuff.. the college even said, from my portfolio... Im ahead already :p but not too far.. its all good

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yes

1 megabyte = 1024 bytes
1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes

However whenever you buy a HDD you pay based on 1000's eg 1Gb of HDD you buy is only 1000Mb so if you bought a 40Gb or so HDD when plugged into your computer it would actually come up as 39Gb. Essentially you pay for more than you get,

Flash memory based devices however eg thumb drives most mp3 players, ipod sufffle etc as sold in more correct sizes eg 128mb, 256mb, 512mb this might change with the 1Gb and larger models - I don't know.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
jasee said:
Get yourself an iPod Shuffle. You can use it both as a USB drive (either 512MB or 1GB) and also as an MP3 player! They start from around $150 and will be out soon!
What he said ^ Mine should come in a few days :D

S

Shuter

Meh, Nokia 6230 is better.

bluetooth drive, MP3 player, video player and phone plus even more in one, and may even be smaller than the ipod.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Shuter said:
Meh, Nokia 6230 is better.

bluetooth drive, MP3 player, video player and phone plus even more in one, and may even be smaller than the ipod.
Yeah, its a great phone... its a pity nokia got a bit tight with its design though. Alot of nokia phones are starting to look the same. The ipod shuffle is puny 7.4 x 2.5cms and 22gms in weight. http://apple.com.au/ipodshuffle/

S

Shuter

Heinz said:
Yeah, its a great phone... its a pity nokia got a bit tight with its design though. Alot of nokia phones are starting to look the same.
I don't mind, I tohught it looked pretty good, I was just happy it didn't look like that god aweful 7610 or various other wacky designs.

kag86

HSC
N/A
wow you guys fully tripped me out ay. It's too late to be reading stuff like that. My head started spinning. I thinks it's time for me to go to bed!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Computing 101 doesn't exist btw :p You do learn that, but its only like one lecture, lol. You're kinda assumed to know that anyways.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
all that technical stuff from one question
i know floppy discs are unreliable i just thought they were expecting us to have CDs but i dont have a burner.
thanks for all ur help

Keen

MD
HSC
Umn, I don't think floppies are that bad.
All the computers at our uni have floppy drives (plus USB - which sometimes get left so watch out you don't lose them or forget to disconnect).
I mainly use email, I mean 99% of what I send is like 40kb (a standard 3,000 word assignment or whatever. And that's what most people will be using, unless you want to download lecture notes to the drive and they usually shouldn't be over a couple of hundred kb's (half a meg) which should fit into a floppy drive or email.
So really I don't see the use in them (I've got a 40Gb storage device, which is more useful, when you want to put a couple of movies etc and transfer them - for me the small ones are useless).

Keen

= Jennifer =

HSC
Katie123 said:
all that technical stuff from one question
i know floppy discs are unreliable i just thought they were expecting us to have CDs but i dont have a burner.
thanks for all ur help
i havent read this whole thread but i am assuming that it hasnt been mentioned make sure you check what size your usb port is as well it can be either 1.1 or 2.0 so you can buy a compatiable jumper drive for your comp...found that out the hard way

doe

HSC
N/A
i have a nokia 6 series

i got a dlink usb bluetooth dongle, it is pretty crap, i shouldve gotten a generic one. i will never buy another dlink product.

oh, what i meant to say was, windows has terrible bluetooth support by default. i couldnt use it to transfer files at uni without installing a better bluetooth stack which i couldnt do cause i was not an admin. my phone came with one of those belkin usb mmc card drives so i just used that. it was sehr handy

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
get the onez tat u can store music files, image, word, all sortz of format networking walkman....lol~~

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
No, its 1024, just as memory comes in blocks of 128, 256, 512mb, 1gb is double that which is 1024mb.

doe

HSC
N/A
yer. the hdd manufacturers just use the 1000meg to a gig to make their drives look bigger.

its all powers of 2

2048 etc

Keen

MD
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
i havent read this whole thread but i am assuming that it hasnt been mentioned make sure you check what size your usb port is as well it can be either 1.1 or 2.0 so you can buy a compatiable jumper drive for your comp...found that out the hard way
What are you on about?!?

There is only ONE size of USP port. And there is version 1.0 (old) and 2.0 (new). New computers are 2.0 (last year or two) and most of these devices are 2.0 (faster transfer) but even if you have 1.0 it should be compatible EXCEPT in devices that MUST have fast transfer such as DVD readers/drivers.

Keen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)