Focusing entirely on 6-8 units? aka Not Studying for General Maths (1 Viewer)

Merclock

HSC
Hey guys, I was toying around with the ATAR calc. and noticed that General Maths has pretty rubbish atar equivs. for the exam marks, and that If I focus on 8 units of mine and get a band 6 on three of them, I will still get a decent ATAR even if my general maths mark is < 30 !

Eg. Adv English = 70
Gen. Math = 50
Software and IPT = 90
Industrial Technology = 100
Studies of Religion 1 = 50

my "final" raw atar mark would be 82, which is fine seeing as my goal is 80...

TL:DR My goal ATAR is 80, would I be better off abandoning a subject so I can focus more on others or try to get high marks across the board? What is realistic, seeing as there is 6 days until Adv English paper 1?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
100 in industrial tech?

Lol, good luck

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly think for an 80+ you'd be better to focus on all your subs, not bombing general is probably more important for ATAR (considering it does scale badly, you want to negate that ideally) than doing better in your other 8 units by a couple of marks.

10 UNIT all must count equally.

Btw, don't count on getting 100 in industrial tech. That is unrealistic even if you are 1st at school. The HSC is a big pond, and that would be 1st in the state. Also 50/50 in SOR1??? Lots of kids at the top private schools are forced to do that sub, you will not come 1st in the state. (Are you saying 50/50 cause it's one unit!). Honestly in that case drop your tech and SOR goals and raise your maths and potentially English a bit, I'd say that is more achievable to get an 82.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That is possibly the dumbest idea ever. Getting very low marks in General will pull you down to 90 ATAR, assuming you top the state in all of your subjects.

You're gonna need much higher marks.

Industrial Technology is a severely capped subject and going by your idea, I doubt you'll make any of the marks given except General.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Well if that is your "master plan" good luck in achieving that*

* Worse plan ever

George121

HSC
General maths isn't that hard to get 80+

Just keep practicing

The HSC is based on your 10 best units, so flunking in 2 units will greatly affect your chances for getting an 80+ ATAR, even if you manage to score band 6 in everything else
Don't risk it!!

Also, never trust ATAR calculators; they are good to estimate what you "could" need, but they are never accurate.

Memento-mori

HSC
General Maths doesn't actually scale as badly as people make it to be. It's not like its Standard English.

It's an incredibly stupid plan. It is hard to get 100 in any subject, and if I were you, I'd be trying my hardest in all of your subjects.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
General Maths doesn't actually scale as badly as people make it to be. It's not like its Standard English.

It's an incredibly stupid plan. It is hard to get 100 in any subject, and if I were you, I'd be trying my hardest in all of your subjects.
It really does scale badly. In terms of Band 6s, there's more but in terms of the value of getting 90+, it's less than Standard English.

In the end, they're worth about the same (General Maths is slightly ahead, though).

Demise

HSC
Gen. Math = 50
Software and IPT = 90

I don't do IPT or Software Development in school, (but I do program outside of school) but if you're even remotely good at Software Design and Development then you should be able to get higher than 50 for general maths. Also, IPT isn't software, so doesn't that mean you have 12 units?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
yeah don't plan on getting 100 in Industrial Tech

work hard on all your subjects - you get pretty much one good shot at the hsc, and if you do this and fail well... you know.

Rohanco

HSC
I honestly think for an 80+ you'd be better to focus on all your subs, not bombing general is probably more important for ATAR (considering it does scale badly, you want to negate that ideally) than doing better in your other 8 units by a couple of marks.
This

noticed that General Maths has pretty rubbish atar equivs.[/B]
Even more of a reason to focus on it harder rather than neglect it.

Good luck, hope you do well :)

Merclock

HSC
Wasn't really my "master plan", I just played around with the atar calc. and thought that this was just funny and wanted peoples opinions on it

I am going to try my hardest for all of my subjects, I just have a bad feeling that Im absolutely fucked for Advanced! IPT and SDD I have a lot of time to prepare for, aswell as SOR so I feel much more confident

Anyone think that its unrealistic to get an 80 if you are ranked around 20/50 for every subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)