For those prospective UNSW students who just got their ATARs (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont think the cutoff will be 99+
I'd say more around 97ish, given that a lot of people would want to go to MQ to do actuarial instead of UNSW. (in terms of course flexibility, it used to be UNSW > MQ, now its MQ > UNSW)

And the fact that they're actually going to accept 200 places instead of 100 now is just nuts imo.

inJust

HSC
Just go to the ATO near where you live. Done in like 20 mins.

Bec Johnston

HSC
^^ great idea, I did mine via my high school and it took like 6 weeks to arrive in the post.

Pinchy444

HSC
Hey all,

I am currently able to get into UNSW Bachelor of Science (Materials Science) however I am concerned at the chances I have later down the track when I decide to transfer into Aerospace Engineering. Materials Science offers most of the core subjects from Aero Engineering (Math 1131/1231, Phys1141) and a 1st year elective (ENGG1811). So course wise I will have completed quite a lot in doing Material Science for 1year. In saying all this, do many Science students transfer up into engineering? Or is it much more difficult than I may think?

Thanks,

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all,

I am currently able to get into UNSW Bachelor of Science (Materials Science) however I am concerned at the chances I have later down the track when I decide to transfer into Aerospace Engineering. Materials Science offers most of the core subjects from Aero Engineering (Math 1131/1231, Phys1141) and a 1st year elective (ENGG1811). So course wise I will have completed quite a lot in doing Material Science for 1year. In saying all this, do many Science students transfer up into engineering? Or is it much more difficult than I may think?

Thanks,
You will receive credit for the subs you have done, i.e. MATH1131/41, PHYS1131, ENGG1811, MATS1101 etc.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

Thanks,
It would be better to decide now whether you want to do Engineering or not, but not to worry if you haven't yet.

Going by the 2013 Handbook, you can do all Stage 1 courses and still be considered an engineering student. All courses listed are the same as an engineering major, if you consider CHEM1011 as a first year elective and MATS1192 as a general education elective (though you will have to ask the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering for a rule exemption since you are supposed to have completed 48 UOC before undertaking a general education elective). ENGG1811 is a required course for Aerospace (whereas an elective is optional).

This leaves you with 2 courses, which will usually be your second major or a minor in a normal Science degree, or some extra free electives. The issue here is that if you decide to transfer, you may have to spend extra time at uni since you won't be able to complete it in the 4 years (unless you take a summer school course). So if you leave this until second semester, you can make an informed (?) decision as to whether you want to pursue engineering. If you do, you should take MMAN1300 and MMAN1130 as they are core subjects for Aerospace.

Also, since MATS1192 runs in the second semester only, if you have decided to do engineering, you can replace this with another engineering elective as prescribed in the list of first year engineering electives.

Transferring is simple, you will require a 65+ WAM (higher the better), and you can transfer after 36 UOC (which will mean after a year if you are a full time student).

Pinchy444

HSC
It would be better to decide now whether you want to do Engineering or not, but not to worry if you haven't yet.

Going by the 2013 Handbook, you can do all Stage 1 courses and still be considered an engineering student. All courses listed are the same as an engineering major, if you consider CHEM1011 as a first year elective and MATS1192 as a general education elective (though you will have to ask the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering for a rule exemption since you are supposed to have completed 48 UOC before undertaking a general education elective). ENGG1811 is a required course for Aerospace (whereas an elective is optional).

This leaves you with 2 courses, which will usually be your second major or a minor in a normal Science degree, or some extra free electives. The issue here is that if you decide to transfer, you may have to spend extra time at uni since you won't be able to complete it in the 4 years (unless you take a summer school course). So if you leave this until second semester, you can make an informed (?) decision as to whether you want to pursue engineering. If you do, you should take MMAN1300 and MMAN1130 as they are core subjects for Aerospace.

Also, since MATS1192 runs in the second semester only, if you have decided to do engineering, you can replace this with another engineering elective as prescribed in the list of first year engineering electives.

Transferring is simple, you will require a 65+ WAM (higher the better), and you can transfer after 36 UOC (which will mean after a year if you are a full time student).
Yea, I have my sights in attaining my Engineering Degree (Aerospace). Problem is sorting out all this transferring stuff out first. So taking this scenario into consideration (Assuming successful entry into Bsc (Materials Science).

I will undertake the following courses in my 1st Year;

(CORE)
-CHEM1031
-MATH1131/1231
-MATS1192
-PHYS1131

(ELECTIVES)
-ENGG1811

The above courses will give me the required 36UOC needed to transfer into Aerospace and after checking the 2013 handbook, under the Aerospace Engineering Stream structure, I would have completed the Maths, Physics and ENGG1811 hence the only courses I would still need to complete under Aerospace 1st year courses would be ENGG1000, MMAN1300, MATS1101 & MMAN1130.

So in saying all this, when you said I wouldn't be able to finish the degree in 4 years it is due to these above 4 1st year courses which I wont be able to complete in my first year, right? If so, then what are my options? Seeing as they're all electives couldn't I just do them during 2nd year Aero just fitting them around the core subjects for that year? Sorry If I'm not making sense, I'm trying to wrap my head around possible scenarios regarding these recommended 1st year subjects which have to be completed.

Thanks,

Pinchy444

HSC
You will receive credit for the subs you have done, i.e. MATH1131/41, PHYS1131, ENGG1811, MATS1101 etc.
Yea that's great. At least I would have done most of the subjects required by aero. Right now it's figuring out my missed out 1st year electives. I have no clue when to take them.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, I have my sights in attaining my Engineering Degree (Aerospace). Problem is sorting out all this transferring stuff out first. So taking this scenario into consideration (Assuming successful entry into Bsc (Materials Science).

(CORE)
-CHEM1031
-MATH1131/1231
-MATS1192
-PHYS1131

(ELECTIVES)
-ENGG1811

The above courses will give me the required 36UOC needed to transfer into Aerospace and after checking the 2013 handbook, under the Aerospace Engineering Stream structure, I would have completed the Maths, Physics and ENGG1811 hence the only courses I would still need to complete under Aerospace 1st year courses would be ENGG1000, MMAN1300, MATS1101 & MMAN1130.

So in saying all this, when you said I wouldn't be able to finish the degree in 4 years it is due to these above 4 1st year courses which I wont be able to complete in my first year, right? If so, then what are my options? Seeing as they're all electives couldn't I just do them during 2nd year Aero just fitting them around the core subjects for that year? Sorry If I'm not making sense, I'm trying to wrap my head around possible scenarios regarding these recommended 1st year subjects which have to be completed.

Thanks,
You need to do a certain number of UoC before you can graduate with a BE(Aerospace), which I'm pretty sure is 192 UoC.

Since this is the case, and you're only doing 36 UoC in first year the degree will take you 4 years only if you overload 6 UoC every year (which is not a good choice if you're doing a difficult degree like engineering).

Also, some of those subjects will NO DOUBT be prerequisites for 2nd year subjects which will be prerequisites for second year subjects and so on, so you'll probably have to take 5 years.

D94

HSC
N/A

(CORE)
-CHEM1031
-MATH1131/1231
-MATS1192
-PHYS1131

(ELECTIVES)
-ENGG1811

Thanks,

Ok, this is what I would recommend if you really want to do Aerospace: just follow the Aerospace engineering plan as if you are an engineering student, then transfer after a year. This will mean you won't waste time or money on unnecessary courses and you will be on par with your engineering peers. It may sound weird because you're in a Science degree, not engineering, but since the courses overlap, there really isn't anything which distinguishes you from an engineering student bar a couple of electives.

There are two transfer periods available each year, 1 in each semester. However, you will only have completed 24UOC in semester 1, so you can't transfer then. You will most likely take another 24UOC in semester 2, giving you 8 UOC. You will then be able to transfer, however, you will have to wait until second year before being considered an engineering student.

Following on my first point, if you choose 4 Science courses instead of ENGG1000, MMAN1300, MATS1101 & MMAN1130, and if they aren't on the First Year Engineering Electives list, and if they aren't a core subject for engineering, only 1 of these 4 Science courses will be counted towards your engineering degree. This means you will have wasted time and money on 3 courses which won't count. That is why I recommend what I said above.

The engineering plan is quite strict in terms of fitting in all courses within the 4 years. You are given 2 first year engineering electives, which can be completed at any time in your degree, and as well as 2 general education electives (courses you complete which are outside of the engineering faculty). From your list above, only CHEM1031 is a first year engineering elective, which means you will need to complete another (which would be MATS1101, though optional - they only "recommend" this, but it's not a core/compulsory).

However, you have 2 general electives, meaning MATS1192 can be considered one of them, and so you have 1 left, but you have 4 Science courses, so that means 3 won't count to your engineering degree.

So really, you only have 1 option which benefits you, and that is my first recommendation, i.e. follow the Aerospace plan as if you are an engineering student. This will mean you don't waste 3 courses and you graduate on time.

caseydsouza

HSC
what is the maximum number of points a student can receive under the ACCESS scheme at UNSW?

Pinchy444

HSC
Ok, this is what I would recommend if you really want to do Aerospace: just follow the Aerospace engineering plan as if you are an engineering student, then transfer after a year. This will mean you won't waste time or money on unnecessary courses and you will be on par with your engineering peers. It may sound weird because you're in a Science degree, not engineering, but since the courses overlap, there really isn't anything which distinguishes you from an engineering student bar a couple of electives.

There are two transfer periods available each year, 1 in each semester. However, you will only have completed 24UOC in semester 1, so you can't transfer then. You will most likely take another 24UOC in semester 2, giving you 8 UOC. You will then be able to transfer, however, you will have to wait until second year before being considered an engineering student.

Following on my first point, if you choose 4 Science courses instead of ENGG1000, MMAN1300, MATS1101 & MMAN1130, and if they aren't on the First Year Engineering Electives list, and if they aren't a core subject for engineering, only 1 of these 4 Science courses will be counted towards your engineering degree. This means you will have wasted time and money on 3 courses which won't count. That is why I recommend what I said above.

The engineering plan is quite strict in terms of fitting in all courses within the 4 years. You are given 2 first year engineering electives, which can be completed at any time in your degree, and as well as 2 general education electives (courses you complete which are outside of the engineering faculty). From your list above, only CHEM1031 is a first year engineering elective, which means you will need to complete another (which would be MATS1101, though optional - they only "recommend" this, but it's not a core/compulsory).

However, you have 2 general electives, meaning MATS1192 can be considered one of them, and so you have 1 left, but you have 4 Science courses, so that means 3 won't count to your engineering degree.

So really, you only have 1 option which benefits you, and that is my first recommendation, i.e. follow the Aerospace plan as if you are an engineering student. This will mean you don't waste 3 courses and you graduate on time.
Ok, this all makes sense. I was really confused. I guess the extra time spent at uni will be worth it as long as I attain my degree in Aero, hopefully it all works out for me.

Thanks!

CommunityFan

HSC
is B Arts 78 or 77 for 2013 (as your speculation before the first offer)?? regardless I made it in with all my bonus points with my ATAR :D

kenkap

HSC
in a letter in my UAC account, it says that i am eligible for EAS at pretty much every university..so by "eligible" are they saying that i will get bonus points at UNSW given that i have chosen it as a higher preference or is it still unconfirmed/yet to consider??? i am so confused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)