Forbidden Love- Norma Khouri (1 Viewer)

onecrazychicken

I only started to read this book three days ago! It's great and i haven't been able to put it down!

Although it is very sad , it is an eye opener- making me really apricate how lucky i'am to be an Australia female. And not in a country were males and traditional religious belifes take over every aspect of life.

Highly reccomended.

Peace Out :):):)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
I rememeber reading this. It is a very great book but it sooo sad. Cant believe those families dont go to jail for killing their own daughters :(

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by fi_babezy
is this book an autobiography/biography?

its about honour killings, biography i believe
norma khouri had a close friend who got killed due to this practice, and she wrote a book

lol thats my 2c, correct me if i'm wrong

LiKe A FiSh

HSC
N/A
if it was an autobiography she wouldnt be able to write it...coz the girl dies.so yes its a biography creating awareness about the goings on in some of these little countries

SimpaticO

Happy Man
I bought this book about a year ago and read it thoroughly. It is very much an eye opener and it is very enlightening to know that Norma felt so much compassion for her best friend that she wrote a book in her honour and has made it her mission to alert the world of injustice of honour killings in Jordan. I would reccommend it to anyone. It is as much a study of a lack of humanity and human injustice as it is a tale of deep and true friendship!

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i read it while i was in DJs. it was so sad, and you feel so angry that something like that can happen. it's barbaric, but they get away with it.

smittenkitten

Poopinator
I'm looking forward to reading this book...but since I've discovered how much better it is to wait for those books to be thrown out in those discount book shops(it's like $2-10 for a book)...I've been waiting for everything...so waiting I am.

suiyi_z

reading that book made me SO angry!! especially daliah's stupid father and bastard brothers. i could not stand that they actually did that. killing someone should not be legal, its wrong! how could u kill your own daughter?
i feel so sorry for the women there, its so sad

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
the book is/was supposedly really really good, its not exactly my cuppa tea but it passed thru my (older) sisters hand, then went to my mum, then 8 of my mums friends, and then of those 8 ladies, 4 of them, well their daughters also read the book....

...so we got the book back a bit worse for wear, but dont ask me y, coz i havent read the thing, but it was popular...n if u dont believe me ask the 14 girls/ladies/females that read it in like 9 months or about that....

but it does seem to evoke emotions about/for other people who are pretty far away and have to live with that stressful knowledge that they can be killed, and it being an honour killing...theres NO honour in killing, especially in that way which is usually classified as "in cold blood"...

jus go read the damned book so i dont explian the thing ;) :D

lazybum

HSC
N/A
do you guys read the news?

or are you so involved in your hsc studies that you have no idea about the world around you????
i read the book a while ago and, comparing it to Jean Sassoons biography of a Saudi princess didn't find it very genuine. It was so vague!!!
Imagine my surprise when it was broadcast 2 weeks or so ago that the book is frauduleny!!! Khouri made the whole thing up - and she's obviously very clever bc she got all the proceeds from the profits!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)