formal hair + Dress, long or short? (1 Viewer)

ninja_star

Little Miss Vixen
HSC
how do u kno wat colour suits u best? and wat kind or hair to do, its soo stressing bcos i hav NO idea and mines in Sep. this is my 1st formal and i dnt no wetha Long dress or short (knee length) is good or not.

Lennie

i think shorter dresses (just below the knee) look really good, especially because most people opt for the 'full-length' thing and end up looking too styled.
Try to get something that looks effortless, and opt for a hairstyle that is really natural, not overdone, eg, leave your hair out and go from there...
Shorter dresses look awsome with grecian style heels (the strappy ones that wrap around your leg) and i think the best colour, is one that no-one else is wearing...

ninja_star

Little Miss Vixen
HSC
cool. as for colour.. thts another prob. lol
im thinkin a strapless dress for sure.. only thing that was questionable was the length i suppose i hafta look around. wher can i find cheap heels? cos they r soo expensive sumtimes.. i wana keep a good budget for my formal. wud u recomend short? is ther any colour to avoid?????
also, shld i have a dress thts ALL one colour? or a colourful one? OR .. a colour with another.. eg. black with pink..

0Jade0

HSC
I think it should be what ever colour suits you best. E.g brings out the colour of your eyes, matches your skin tone.
If you go to DFO they have cheap shoes.

Lennie

i say go for one colour. if you want more, dress it up by colourful jewelry or accessories.
in my opinion, dont go for pink. blues and chocolates etc, are in at the moment, but all you can do, is ask around. 90% of girls at mine went for pink...
and be careful with the strapless choice, only about 20% or people can pull that off well. just remain open minded, if you see another style you like, go for that.
as for cost. dont worry, many places offer cheap items.
just remember, you will probably only wear the stuff once. so shop around
i spent 700 on a lisa ho dress and regret it to this day. so unecessary!

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
i say go for one colour. if you want more, dress it up by colourful jewelry or accessories.
in my opinion, dont go for pink. blues and chocolates etc, are in at the moment, but all you can do, is ask around. 90% of girls at mine went for pink...
and be careful with the strapless choice, only about 20% or people can pull that off well. just remain open minded, if you see another style you like, go for that.
Wow so many statistics :p

And $700?! I thought i spent too much but then again i was unemployed at the time...

With dress colour, i guess it kinda depends if you want to stand out or not...

Lennie

miss_b said:
Wow so many statistics :p

And $700?! I thought i spent too much but then again i was unemployed at the time...

With dress colour, i guess it kinda depends if you want to stand out or not...

lol
what can i say, i loved the dress :uhhuh: simple, turquoise and slimming :p still pity ive only worn it once... might sell it on ebay (gotta love that site)

Tuggi3

Vicious and Delicious
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
do u have evidence to back up these statistics?
were any studies involved?
if so, where and by whom, and when.

Lennie

Tuggi3 said:
do u have evidence to back up these statistics?
were any studies involved?
if so, where and by whom, and when.
Actually yes :rolleyes: ................(line continues)

No, general observation produced them :rolleyes: :)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
lol
what can i say, i loved the dress :uhhuh: simple, turquoise and slimming :p still pity ive only worn it once... might sell it on ebay (gotta love that site)
Can you post a pic of it, i wana see :)

Lennie

I'll see if i can dig up the digital camera tommorow
though when you look at it, its pretty average

HSC
There are two other threads about hair and colour of dress.

The style of dress depends a lot on your personality and budget.
If you're used to minis, you might opt for a minidress. You could probably get a decent designer one for about $200-300.
Full-length gowns are usually quite expensive, even dodgy ones might cost you around $100, with expensive ones usually skyrocketing through the roof.

With heels, i'd just go for whatever makes you look in line with the people you're with.
If you're short, wear high heels, and if you're tall, you'd probably want a flatter option.
Some people do it to co-ordinate with their dates, which i think is a bit odd but cute nonetheless.
Heels are probably the best part of formals because you can ALWAYS find another occasion to wear them again. Same with handbag, unless you buy those weird frilly "formal" handbags - I'd just stick with a clutch of some sort.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
ninja_star said:
cool. as for colour.. thts another prob. lol
im thinkin a strapless dress for sure.. only thing that was questionable was the length i suppose i hafta look around. wher can i find cheap heels? cos they r soo expensive sumtimes.. i wana keep a good budget for my formal. wud u recomend short? is ther any colour to avoid?????
also, shld i have a dress thts ALL one colour? or a colourful one? OR .. a colour with another.. eg. black with pink..
try Pierre Fontaine (sp?).
I have two pairs of them heels and they were both $50.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
mum just said then, that we have to go looking for my formal dress. I hate formal shopping. HATE! i always end up in tears. i'm looking for a floaty, cocktail dress this year. Green is nice. I love green dresses,

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
OMG i just LOVE the middle dress. the only thing i might not like is the see thru midriff bit. but other than that, lord isnt it gorgeous?!

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i got some gorgeous bronze pierre fontaine heels today for $60 from myer
theyre hot

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
The last pair of shoes i got were Pierre Fonataine and they were $45 i think.

I don't see the point in buying expensive shoes if you're going to wear a full length dress but i guess that is kind of obvious...

I have a question: I am 165cm so would 4 inch heels be too much?

kaylz

HSC
ninja_star said:
how do u kno wat colour suits u best? and wat kind or hair to do, its soo stressing bcos i hav NO idea and mines in Sep. this is my 1st formal and i dnt no wetha Long dress or short (knee length) is good or not.
ummm since i've been put here on this earth to help the fashionally impaired i've put together some formal guidelines.
short dress= cocktail
long= formal
colour of dress depends on skin tone, hair and eye colour. please, for christs sakes- if you're a plump girl with pale complexion and blonde hair - DO NOT WEAR PINK. those girls always end up looking like marshmallows.
if you have blue eyes you can wear any shade of blue.
blondes can wear red.
dark hair can go with most any colour.
if you're genetically blessed and have olive skin you can get away with brighter, more daring colours.
no matter how dressy, thongs are NOT formalwear
no tiaras, if you please.
any other questions?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
miss_b said:
The last pair of shoes i got were Pierre Fonataine and they were $45 i think.

I don't see the point in buying expensive shoes if you're going to wear a full length dress but i guess that is kind of obvious...

I have a question: I am 165cm so would 4 inch heels be too much?
nah I don't think so, I'm abt that and my shoes are around that, maybe even 5. But I made sure to get a thicker heel on them. They're not fat or anything, just not full-on stilletos and so far them seem relatively easy to walk in.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
don't go for the plain, strapless, either bodice and skirt or dress, with the lace up back. I will guarantee you many others will have the same. To give you an idea of some of the things people wore to my year 12 here's a photo. If you're in the photo and take offence to me posting it here, PM me.

actually, i'll leave it as an attachment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)