• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

formal hair + Dress, long or short? (1 Viewer)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
if this is any guide, i was one of the better dressed at year 10, and i got best dressed at year 12.

But my dress was custom made and cost me around $500...

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
yeah, i'd love my dress to be original, i want it made. But i know of no dressmakers at all. plus, im poor.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Everyone wears long to year 12?
I want to wear a cocktail :\ Although being the oddball would be uncomfortable.. Grah I dont know..

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
no, by no means does everyone wear long to year 12.

actually year 12 was more casual than year 10 as a general rule.

jebbie

HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
no, by no means does everyone wear long to year 12.

actually year 12 was more casual than year 10 as a general rule.
I wore a cocktail to year 10 too. Haha I think I have a fear of long dresses :p

HSC
Picture's gone guys.

I am uber paranoid about what people might do with photoshop.

Last edited:

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
whiterabbit said:
Hmmm...

Well... Here's what i wore to my formal. (Chinese dress) Head to toe, pain in the arse to dance in.
But very cultural.

To my bfs formal, i wore a black silky lace thingy. I don't have any clear photos of the dress on the computer, but if i find any i'll post one.
one of the dresses looks indian...

jebbie

HSC
Tulipa said:
they make me look shorter so i have a pathological fear of them... anyways they're always too long on me.

btw why are all these formal threads cropping up when most formals aren't until september... as in four months away
Yay, something I know the answer to.

For many people like me they are on the search now. Purely because during trails, study or the actual HSC I dont want to be fretting over what I'm going to be wearing to my formal. Im very picky and I hate buying formal stuff last minute. So Im just getting it out of the way early, by choosing something that suits me but doesnt neccessarily follow trends I can be sure it wont be out of fashion :D The end.

tempco

HSC
whiterabbit said:
Hmmm...

Well... Here's what i wore to my formal. (Chinese dress) Head to toe, pain in the arse to dance in.
But very cultural.

To my bfs formal, i wore a black silky lace thingy. I don't have any clear photos of the dress on the computer, but if i find any i'll post one.
did your school have some cultural thing going on? chiong sam, sari... really like the colours though (even though it's the generic red :p).

HSC
nekkid said:
did your school have some cultural thing going on? chiong sam, sari... really like the colours though (even though it's the generic red :p).
No. It was just me and my friend. And we decided to take a picture together.

Well... i like red. You can't get a qi pao in any other colour. It's just WRONG.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
my formal's not til november. but i needed a dress for a wedding anyway.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
hair: depends on the dress. ie. what style the dress is [fun, elegant, etc]

dress colours to avoid [imo]
- anything fluro. well, some ppl can pull off hot pink
- orange
- yellow is a bit er... as well
- kaki

at my school, almost everyone i've talked to about the formal is planning to go in cocktail. i wanted to get a down to the floor dress - more elegant. but i wanna show off my shoes that my friends are going to buy for me. so, i'll prob get a dress just under my knees. meh.. guess it depends on the design of the dress

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
i would love to get a long dress, but then it'll get dirty as it's dragging on the ground. :confused:

i decided on everything just to get it out of the way.

red dress, long wavy hair.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Yeah long dresses can be a bit of a pain. My year 12 had 5 different layers to the skirt, i know that by the end of the night i definitely had a hole in one of them from someone's stilettos, and my dress wasn't that long, as in touching the floor.

Lennie

hehe i wasnt sure where to post this, but i had the most awesome finds tonight :D I guess it relates as they are formal dresses... :cool:
I was on my way to subway when i stopped in on a small botique store. i never usually shop at this store as the sales assistants are over friendly, but anyway... i went in, only to discover that they had just unpacked a bunch of 'cooper st' samples of dresses, and the like.
all the stuff is yet to be released in australia :D
but as they were samples (in absolute perfect saleable condition may i add) they had to go tonight :rolleyes:
but anyway i managed to buy 4 dressed (1x $19, 2x $20 and 1x $24 dress) and they are honestly, the most gorgeous silk dresses i have ever ever seen, and i love them all (except for one, which is a weird fit and i am selling on ebay :rolleyes: ). cooper st have some amazing things out at the moment.
But i guess the moral is, formal dresses can be amazingly cheap if your in the right place at the right time. :rolleyes:

hehe damn im confused.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
hehe i wasnt sure where to post this, but i had the most awesome finds tonight :D I guess it relates as they are formal dresses... :cool:
I was on my way to subway when i stopped in on a small botique store. i never usually shop at this store as the sales assistants are over friendly, but anyway... i went in, only to discover that they had just unpacked a bunch of 'cooper st' samples of dresses, and the like.
all the stuff is yet to be released in australia :D
but as they were samples (in absolute perfect saleable condition may i add) they had to go tonight :rolleyes:
but anyway i managed to buy 4 dressed (1x $19, 2x $20 and 1x $24 dress) and they are honestly, the most gorgeous silk dresses i have ever ever seen, and i love them all (except for one, which is a weird fit and i am selling on ebay :rolleyes: ). cooper st have some amazing things out at the moment.
But i guess the moral is, formal dresses can be amazingly cheap if your in the right place at the right time. :rolleyes:

hehe damn im confused.
you lucky bitch.

rockets

HSC
N/A
where are some good places to buy cocktail dresses=preferably sydney north west around castle hill area???

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
our formal for yr 10 was out of a american movie...so many long poofy dresses..including my own
yr 12 was very casual.. dare i say people bought their dresses from supre( u know those long tops....) i wore a black dress cocktail boob tube. hair straight and down but thats just me cos i never wear my hair down and wanted a change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)