Frank/BR Assessment Task Help Needed (1 Viewer)

imoO

HSC
Hey guys,

I have a speech assessment task that is coming up in weeks 10 and 11. I am having trouble coming up with a overarching thesis in which I can cover all six of my questions. I have copy n pasted my assessment task and what I have done so far.

Any help is appreciated,

SPEAKING TASK – 15% HSC
Task – You are to prepare the following six questions. In your oral presentations you will be asked TWO questions. These questions will be selected randomly. You will be required to speak for 2-3 minutes on each question. You may bring a one sided A4 page of bullet point notes into the task.

How are Frankenstein and Blade Runner products of the time in which they were created?

• Gothic literature and art
    • film noir -> Blade Runner
    • gothic conventions -> Frankenstein
  • Human exploration of science – ‘galvanism’
  • Concerns over humanness, humanity and what it means to be human
How do both texts treat the human as a creator? Provide specific examples with Victor Frankenstein and Tyrell.

• Creator is depicted as a ‘God-like’ figure, as the creation of life is playing god himself.
  • Humans are hungry for knowledge. They do not consider the implications or consequences in their actions until they take place.
  • Both creators refuse to face the creature that they have created. As a result, both creations become monsters as they do not experience that warming affection one feels from its creator.
  • Creators face the consequences in the end. i.e Frankenstein has to chase down his monster, and the replicants have to be destroyed by the Blade Runners

What are the similarities and differences between Frankenstein’s creation and Roy?

• Both creations seem to display more human emotion that the human creators themselves. This is shown through Roy’s last lines before he dies, and also the fiend’s desire for another like himself so that he is not alienated and isolated.
  • Both creations were created in the aim to achieve perfection. Tyrell’s concern is about creating androids that are ‘more human that human’. Frankenstein’s monster was supposed to define perfection in humans, but failed and instead created a monster in which even Victor himself abandoned.
  • Both creations look for their creator, or in Frankenstein’s case, he looks for the monster. There is a parallel here where the creator is destined to meet the creation.
In your opinion, are both texts critical of their respective societies or do they differ in this regard?

• I don’t quite understand what the question refers to what it states’ respective societies..
What do you see as the role of women in both texts? How are they portrayed?

• In Frankenstein, the role of women is not very clearly portrayed. However, we do see a lack of women influence in the story, possibly suggesting that women are something that society need? Walton is constantly writing to Margaret. Frankenstein is constantly thinking of Elizabeth. Even the monster desires a female version of itself.
  • In Blade Runner, the women are seen as objects of love, such as Rachel was to Deckard, and Pris to Roy. They do not really carry much power and usually do not have much say.
Do both texts still have something to offer 21st century audiences?

• Environmental concerns – we do not see any trees or green vegetation at all in Blade Runner
  • Natural concerns – Is it right to play god in the creation of life?
  • Concerns on the obsessive gaining of knowledge by humans

Thanks,

imoO

chistar

HSC
N/A
How do both texts treat the human as a creator? Provide specific examples with Victor Frankenstein and Tyrell.

- Tyrell's colossal temple-like building (low angel shot to show its superiority)
- Tyrell speaks in third person
- Roy refers to him as the "god of Biomechanics"

- Creature speaks to Victor in an exalted tone
- Specific quotes where the Creature refers to Victor as "creator", references to Adam

I have some other info, PM me and we can trade

Hope that helped! Good luck :)

amanda maddog

HSC
we have almost the exact same Assesment task!!! the whole choices thing and then on the day we get randomly selected to do one.. it sucks.
the questions we have are almost the same too.
good luck:)

iinot

HSC
Q2:

-Creator, Tyrell pursue's perfection of his creations i.e Rachel, Giving us the image of a knowledge thirsting man.

-The creators somehow are not referred to as much in the texts giving us a godly impression on the creators feeling like they are pulling strings behind the scenes.

-The godlike feeling of the creators has been taken away when their creations seek answers from them and leads to there death which contradicts because god does not go through death.

-When the creation seeks for its creator they have to go through a sequence of events giving us an impression that the creator is a hard person to find thus showing us there importants in the society.

from meeeee!!!!! u noe who i am =]
Just Giving it a shot hope u dont find it crap lol.

red_goesfaster

HSC
In your opinion, are both texts critical of their respective societies or do they differ in this regard?

• I don’t quite understand what the question refers to what it states’ respective societies..
i think this is referring to the composers concerns in society.. so scott shows concerns with asianisation, globalisation, the effects on the environment and also over population, with the ads showing birth control pills and suggesting if people are tired of the world they are in to go to the "off world colonies" (where the replicants are)
frankenstein i guess geez i havent looked at my notes in a while for this but shelley was basically kicked out of her society because she was a bit of an extreme personality. her and her friends went away all around the country and other countries because they weren't welcomed where they orginated from any more because they were so "extreme" haha it's the only word coming to mind here.. so these concerns are not as explicitly dealt with in Frankenstein as they are in blade runner but these values are kind of dealt with through victor. he's often portrayed as not belonging (there's that dreaded word) to his society anymore, he's on the outskirts doing his own thing..

does that make sense? or is it helpful at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)