Free ebooks and online texts (1 Viewer)

BronwynKate

HSC
Here is an alternative to taped books you might enjoy:

Librivox.

A very good site with digital files full of your favourite books, as well as ones you may never have heard of.

The only trouble with Librivox - it needs more Australian literature!

Why don't you read a chapter or two of The Getting of Wisdom or another favourite book?

There's lots of short stories and poetry if you want to get your feet wet.

I only got in this January and there are many wonderful things.

You can put Librivox on your I-Pod if you want to.

http://www.librivox.org

phatinc

HSC
http://fictionbook.ru/en/

this is the place where you can find a range of books (they boast a library of over 9000 books (including russian unfortunatly)and where i found davinci code green mile forrest gump etc,

mostly russian which can get quite annoying, but its still a gold mine for people too poor/cheap/actual library's copy keeps on getting reserved/prefer reading it on ipods or palms etc

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
phatinc said:
http://fictionbook.ru/en/

this is the place where you can find a range of books (they boast a library of over 9000 books (including russian unfortunatly)and where i found davinci code green mile forrest gump etc,
That's a totally great site (ok, so 98% of it's in Russian) but I found Chuck Pahalaniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Nick Hornby, Douglas Adams, Hunter S. Thompson and more there!

Thanks for the link.

Melzy

HSC
ebooks open alot of doors for people with busy timetables...you can read them anywhere. you also can get textbooks and study helps. which become extremely helpful in hectic exam times.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
a bit late i know, but try http://www.dailylit.com ..they send a small portion of the book to your email once a day..i guess not great if you want to be immersed in the book..but great if you don't get much time to read (each portion takes about 5mins to read, if that)..or like i did, read a real book, and read another online hehe

i've only read one book from there so far, and i found that i didn't reeeally get into the book, but some days i did, and i would click for more..not sure if that was the mood i was in at the time, or whether the book just wasn't for me..but it's worth checking out i think

gk0608

HSC
THE best site for free ebooks

www.ebookee.com

ok, so i tend to read massive sagas, which have like ten books in one series. I find it really annoying when I try to find the next book in the library only to find that someone else has it or the library's copy is missing!
You can download whole series at one go from this site + individual books as well. It's got THOUSANDS of books in HUNDREDS of genres

enjoy =)

spence

HSC
anti said:
God's Debris
Synopsis
Imagine that you meet a very old man who—you eventually realize—knows literally everything. Imagine that he explains for you the great mysteries of life—quantum physics, evolution, God, gravity, light, psychic phenomenon, and probability—in a way so simple, so novel, and so compelling that it all fits together and makes perfect sense. What does it feel like to suddenly understand everything? God's Debris isn’t the final answer to the Big Questions. But it might be the most compelling vision of reality you will ever read. The thought experiment is this: Try to figure out what’s wrong with the old man’s explanation of reality. Share the book with your smart friends then discuss it later while enjoying a beverage.
That's an awesome book, and short enough that you can comfortably read it on a computer in one sitting. I bought the physical version though

Last edited:

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
anti said:
God's Debris
Synopsis
Imagine that you meet a very old man who—you eventually realize—knows literally everything. Imagine that he explains for you the great mysteries of life—quantum physics, evolution, God, gravity, light, psychic phenomenon, and probability—in a way so simple, so novel, and so compelling that it all fits together and makes perfect sense. What does it feel like to suddenly understand everything? God's Debris isn’t the final answer to the Big Questions. But it might be the most compelling vision of reality you will ever read. The thought experiment is this: Try to figure out what’s wrong with the old man’s explanation of reality. Share the book with your smart friends then discuss it later while enjoying a beverage.
Is there an ebook version of the sequal to this (The Religion War)?

spence

HSC
P_Dilemma said:
Is there an ebook version of the sequal to this (The Religion War)?
He didn't release it freely. I reckon its worth buying though, it's fairly cheap and its good. But I'll pretty much enjoy anything Scott Adams writes

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
if you use microsoft at school/work home
a) your an idiot and b) Read at Work is great.

i still use it, it looks so out of place and suspicious
my favourite is reading animal farm in pie graphs. genuis.

Ice Goddess

HSC
Many people do. Its kinda easy to get hold of popular books without buying it or getting a ragged brown copy from the library (or none)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)