Freedom is only privilege extended if it’s not shared by one and all. (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
I personally agree.... discuss :)
left and right wing views welcome

pman

Banned
HSC
If freedom is shared by everyone, it is still a privelidge because certain people still derserve to lose it. (i'm not 100% sure what ur talking about tho)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
It makes sense.... freedom is not freedom but rather privilege unless it is shared by one an all (everyone is free)... you can't be a free individual?

pman

Banned
HSC
First one must define freedom! If its taken as not being imprisoned, then yes you can have a free individual.
If its taken as the ability to do what you want, It's impossible to be free with any sort of legal system and without one very few people will have any freedom at all

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
i would say this quote is in regards to social/economic freedom.... its from the internationale comrade

StephenM

HSC
Freedom is the ability to spontaneously react with ones desires.
The economy dictates freedom.
Those with money exemplify - those with nothing are unfortunately restrained.

Last edited:

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
you're all shit
+1

freedom is unachievable as everybody has different definitions of freedom.
The only kind of freedom i can see is freedom to do whatever you like on the grounds of your property, but once u step onto a property owned by somebody else you must adhere to their rules. This is unless of course you're most fundamental rights are infringed.

Flissty

Hicksville, between a mountain and a paddock full
HSC
+1

freedom is unachievable as everybody has different definitions of freedom.
The only kind of freedom i can see is freedom to do whatever you like on the grounds of your property, but once u step onto a property owned by somebody else you must adhere to their rules. This is unless of course you're most fundamental rights are infringed.
+1

But then wtf dictates ownership, Scuba Steve.
then wth is power? Is it money, political influence, respect, balls, etc.

'It's all relative' - is about the best thing I can come up with. Philosophy wastes my time.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Power

volition

arr.
HSC
+1

'It's all relative' - is about the best thing I can come up with. Philosophy wastes my time.
I guess I could think like that... but I prefer to look at ways to improve our situation by trying to find a consistent rule that can be applied.

I think libertarianism/ACism is mostly consistent and it's definitely way more consistent than what we have now:
- You own property if you were the first to legitimately homestead the property (This can be determined by private courts - and sure the system won't be perfect but it does involve participation by the community with regard to what they consider a legitimate claim over property)

I certainly don't consider it perfect, for example I'm not entirely sure of the best way to treat children's property rights and right to choose what they do. But I do think that 'services' like DOCS don't really do a good job anyway, it seems I'm always hearing about how badly they've screwed up with another kid. And the increased economic growth and productivity would see a lot more children raised out of poverty, so this is how I justify it to myself. Economic growth isn't just a growth in wealth for the rich people or some number that doesn't mean anything - it has real benefits for everybody such as stuff like lower infant mortality, and more access to life changing technology (eg. computers, internet, advanced medicine) that was only accessible to rich people in the past.

Flissty

Hicksville, between a mountain and a paddock full
HSC
But I do think that 'services' like DOCS don't really do a good job anyway, it seems I'm always hearing about how badly they've screwed up with another kid. And the increased economic growth and productivity would see a lot more children raised out of poverty, so this is how I justify it to myself. Economic growth isn't just a growth in wealth for the rich people or some number that doesn't mean anything - it has real benefits for everybody such as stuff like lower infant mortality, and more access to life changing technology (eg. computers, internet, advanced medicine) that was only accessible to rich people in the past.
That one's easy fixed.

Swap DOCS for RSPCA.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
+1

what dictates ownership is that u have a document saying that you own the property because you bought it off somebody. all property in a ancap world is up for sale or if agreed upon by a community there can be collective goods such as a park or a lake that is used for rec purposes.

you can probably tell i llike ancap ;D

Sadiah

HSC
The term "Freedom" has soooooo many meanings, which makes this thread a bit broad. Narrow down your thread OP and you'll recieve a better result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)