Frontline - related material (1 Viewer)

stressed02

Ok i am really confused about why we need related material for Frontline... and what type of supplementary texts we need.. i dont get it. Are we supposed to find texts that show the same type of thing as Frontline, as in, distortion of the truth, or what? sorry i'm just confused... thanks :(

aspagarus

HSC
Me either really...

Mmm... I don't really know why we need to have additional texts either, but I spose we should just accept the fact. like in the area of study paper... As the topic is about 'Representation and text - Telling the Truth', the addtional texts need to be related to the manipulation of truth, the effect of this manipulation, the methods used, how truth is defined, what makes truth...

I have used things like Backberner (Tv show on the ABC.. which satarises news reporting, and other stuff... relevant stuff - the Berner guy (host) is a bit of a wally, and what he says/writes isn't terribly clever, but I spose it is good enough... it fulfills its purpose..) CNNN (another show in the ABC, satirising news.. and telling the truth) and today i just found this newspaper/webpage thingo called The Chaser. (it is a magazine that is heavily satirical.. www.chaser.com.au I haven't seen an actual edition of the paper, but the webpage has some samples.. ) I can't seem to find much else.. it all seems to be about 'satire' and 'media'.. but I guess that is ok.. It makes it easier to tie ideas together.. to inter-relate the texts...

I don't know if I am completely justified in all that i have said here, but I hope it helps.. :):apig:

Arch-man

Any text that has something related to the truth and it's portrayal. Newspaper articles are usually the safest and best way to go.

The Matrix seems to be a popular pick from what I've heard from other schools.

Milly

Any episode from the tv series "Yes Minister" or "Yes Prime Minister". (They usually have tapes of it at the video store.)

Dan_the_man

Backberner and CNNNN are good......btw... CNNNN is made by the chaser people.... basically any satire hey... think Full Frontal, Fast Forward etc...also I'm thinking of using the real deal current affairs and new shows and their distortion of the text, etc

Also this is the lyrics from Media by John Butler Trio.... I'm gonna use this too

What you watch, what you read
What you percieve is to be truth
It is all so subjective
So what you believe is up to you

But what are we to believe in
Between the lies and the truth? Youth
Media has vested interest
So what you believe is up to you.

But how are we to make sense of these turbulent times
When all they do is censor our minds
Only telling what they want us to know
Only half of the story told

So what is wrong? What is right?
No truth can there be seen
Well it's all there in your new religion
Just turn on your TV screen

Watch the sex and drugs and all that violence
Look what they are feeding you
Propaganda yes indeed its,
its all there to confuse

But how are we to make sense of these turbulent times
When all they do is brainwash our minds
Only telling what they want us to know
Only half of the story told

And if the truth can't be found
I'll find my own underground
And if the truth is never to be seen
I'll find my own in between

What you watch, what you read
What you percieve is to be truth
It is all so subjective
So what you believe is up to you

But what are we to believe in
Between the lies and the truth? Youth
Media has vested interest
So what you believe is up to you.
You know its up to you
Don't believe the lies, read between the lines,
Don't believe the lies, critically analyse

quartic

I'm using "The Insider" and "Darkness at Noon"

havn't seen "The Insider" in years though so I only have a very vauge idea of it.

Dan_the_man

my notes

Just so I don't have to send them to anyone else:p here are my notes... there not all that good..... this is about 15 mins work... I'm not big on doing work in english ;)

Attachments

Doylie

Im using CNNNN and the episode of The Simpsons called 'Homer Bad Man' (the Gummi Venus De Milo one where Homer is accused of sexual harrassment). Does anyone have any idea whether it will matter that i'm only using satirical texts? Our teacher wasn't really big on emphasising that truth could be represented through means other than satire..

Tiger

The best piece i have is an episode of STateline in which they bag out the ABC news for badmouthing western sydney...if u can get ur hands on it it has a lot in comparison with Frontline...

stressed02

how many pieces of related material do you think we need for Frontline? and how many episodes do you think we should refer to in depth?

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
i think have two or three, not that you will have time to talk about three, but just to be flexable, you never know if the text will fit. Also i think only refer to about two episodes of Frontline and not in that much detail, just a quick summary of how the truth is distorted and some quotes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)