Frontline - related material (1 Viewer)

bex

HSC
Dan the Man= LEGEND!!!
thanks so much, it fits in so well with my other text!

stressed02

Hi,
I was wondering (if any of you that are doing CNNNN and/or Backberner and/or Media Watch) for your related material, what exactly are you writing about, and how much detail are you going into? like are we supposed to mention a specific episode, or just talk about the show in general and how they relate to satirising current affairs programs?

thanks

nicole2511

i think that its is really up to you how you go about it- do what's best for your essay. but i also think that its important to refer to specific episodes/scenes to show a greater understanding- then you wont be generalising etc.

write about the techniques- v.v important- ie how the show satirises CA shows eg. use of imitaiton, exaggeration, ridicule, costuming, editing etc.

and also about what comment it is making on the nature of truth- its illusiveness and how it becomes a commodity which is bought and sold to satisfy those in power and audience's entertainemnt needs

Q- are you doing frontline as your prescribed txt?? if you are, wouldnt all those shows be pretty similar?

Q- are we spose to be using a variety of txts or doesnt it matter int his module??

randy

If you wanna do well in your english essays which require R\M, the material has to be somewhat sophisticated, and the song is simply too straightforward- statements by someone else about the topic of truth in media- there is nothing there for you to ascertain for yourself and the markers will know that. Sorry John Butler Trio and Dan the MAN and countless other people who think the song is the holy grail of related material.... by all means use it, but be very sophisticated in your analyzation of it, and if anything criticise the song for what it does/doesn't say about media manipulation, DO NOT agree totally w/ the song's view

stressed02

thankyou nicole.

1) yes - i'm doing Frontline

2) well im not sure - its probably BETTER to use a variety of texts

-------

thanks randy... yeah that's what i'm worried about - i have so many pieces of related material, i dont know which ones to choose: i have the Truman show, a comparison of ABC news and channel 7 news on a particular story, Media Watch, CNNNN, and maybe Backberner... so i dont know

randy

Go for issues in the episodes of Frontline (which ones u doing?) that are easy to write about. Remember, u relate the telling the truth issue, not the frontline.
Truman is mad text- media gone too far
Media Watch good - not media watch in general, but a story from an epsiode,
Try a Simpsons episode, there is more stuff on the issues portrayed within certain Simpsons episodes than you might believe. Try the episode 'hungry hungry Homer' or 'Homer Badman' (if u do use this episode, make sure u say Homer sleeps in a sexually empowered oxygen tent.....)

smilygal

apparently "wag the dog" could be used as a related text.... dunno how helpful that is 2 any1???:argue:

Milly

Originally posted by smilygal
apparently "wag the dog" could be used as a related text.... dunno how helpful that is 2 any1???:argue:
Yup, I'm using WTD as one of my related texts. My main points are how truth/people's opinions can be manipulated through emotive things like the theme song ("Good Ol' Shoe" - fake nostalgia), the girl running away from the burning village, etc. Also how the media's love for sensational stories makes it easy for the political spin doctors to manipulate, rather totally fabricate, the truth.

stressed02

Hey Randy, thanks that helped alot.
I'm not sure which episodes i'm going to end up doing for Frontline, i'm worried they are going to specify episodes, so i'm learning all of them?! how bout you? oh good, i wasn't sure whether to relate Frontline, or telling the truth, so i'm glad you told me!
And about the Simpsons, i'll ask my brother because he seems to know every episode every made (and quotes Homer continuously..lol) so i'll get him to do it for me..! haha thanks again

p00_p00

Originally posted by Milly

Yup, I'm using WTD as one of my related texts. My main points are how truth/people's opinions can be manipulated through emotive things like the theme song ("Good Ol' Shoe" - fake nostalgia), the girl running away from the burning village, etc. Also how the media's love for sensational stories makes it easy for the political spin doctors to manipulate, rather totally fabricate, the truth.

hey thx for some ideas. Well all im afta now is techniques (besides satire and cammera angles). U got ne 2 share???

thx

Milly

Originally posted by p00_p00

hey thx for some ideas. Well all im afta now is techniques (besides satire and cammera angles). U got ne 2 share???

thx
Hmmm... the black and white surveillance camera shots - showing that it's all surreptitious?? Also inclusion of real life celebrities to make it more realistic (just as Frontline often features personalities like Neil Mitchell, Cheryl Kernot, etc.)

I don't really concentrate on techniques that much - in the essays I've done, it seems to have been sufficient to talk about what Connie and Stan do in the movie eg. the theme song, kittens etc.

GlittaStar

Numbers, numbers, numbers!

i'm going to refer to about 3 episodes of FL.... as for related material - i dont know! i have it coming out of my ears!

so how much related do u think we should use:confused:

elfgal

related texts

well everyone at my school was told 2...but a friend of mine rang the helpline and they said 3, so now i'm like wtf?!
i think they were possibly lying though. i'd know 2 and have one that you sorta know and you can crap on about if you really have to........just pull a simpsons episode outta your ass :apig:

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
I'm using a Maranda Devine artive, OJ simpson documentary, a cartoon 'deep cover'
- i also have erin brockovich in my hed, but i wont use it unless they ask for it. Also have the wolf story (its a twist on 3 little pigs)

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Re: related texts

Originally posted by elfgal
well everyone at my school was told 2...but a friend of mine rang the helpline and they said 3, so now i'm like wtf?!
i think they were possibly lying though. i'd know 2 and have one that you sorta know and you can crap on about if you really have to........just pull a simpsons episode outta your ass :apig:
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)