Frontline (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Lol Gilly i remember feeling like that, but don't give up - it's soooo soon until its all over and then u can be as cool as me and still hang out on hsc forums ;) You're so close to the end. Think about what you want to do next year and how great it can be...and just keep trying :p And keep posting q's, if i can help i will :)
that's SO nice!!!

and can i just ask - is this module specifically on the media? i heard it wasn't

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so what if most of my, well all of my texts are on the media and how the media portrays the truth?

timmii

sporadic attendee
it's not about the media, its about telling the truth. However when you think about, the main way in which most people do get their info is via the media, and the most distortion of the truth done either by politicians, the media or both. Thus its completely justifiable, and most likely that your texts *will* be about the media - but you can have other material about other stuff if it is appropriate and works for you. The more interesting the better - but keep it relevant! :D

allyteaded

Originally posted by Dangar

Would i be better off using extra material about someone that manipulated the truth, or an article that has actually manipulated the truth itself? Because with the second one i guess i could talk more about techniques and stuff but i can't find any, i mean how are you supposed to be able to tell whether it's actualy manipulated the truth or not, because as the audience you can't tell right?
The way I see it - in both materials, someone has manipulated the truth, afterall, someone must have composed the text for it to exist - right? *sorry, I'm being weird again...*

But the thing is, isn't it recommended that you have two additional material anyway? Why not use both? Even if you have another one, if you have three, all the better. That way if one of them doesn't fit into the question, then you can use the other two! (That's if you don't memorise your essay...)

The way people tell if a text is manipulating the truth through the construction of a representation of an event, personality or situation is finding different articles on the particular issue - for example, looking at overseas media. (Don't ask how to get these, I have no idea.) Obviously, an Australian paper would have a different perspective on the Bali bombings than I dunno - say Iraqi news paper. I mean, that's really obvious - it was just a blunt example. But you can find other subtle things -

Maybe sport - if there's a footy game between Melbourne and Sydney - if you can find an article of the game from each cities you might be able to see the different representations of the event.

Anyway - otherwise, you can look at the techniques the composer uses - emotive language in order to persuade or to gain empathy. Use of visual language - a universal language to communicate subliminally to the viewer that what they see is "truth." Look at how. It's the easiest ticket out I think.

And like Timmii said - stick with what you can write well with. Perhaps hand in (not exactly an essay) but a one page response of each - see which one gets the better marks. See which one you can make stronger links to Frontline. See which one gives you a stronger response to the question.

BTW Timmii - thanks for the notes, mate! Wish I came here earlier too... woulda helped boost my trials up.

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ally - u seem quite brilliantly prepared there!

Just thought I might suggest related material for you guys. Articles regarding the swim coach accused of stalking and the ACA imbroglio are fantastic.

Think about this: Intending to get an AVO is not a story. You've either gotten one or are in the process of doing so. Otherwise you're just guessing and dragging someone's name through the mud - for the sake of publicity, ratings etc...

The media is usurping the role of the justice system - already determining him to be guilty without a scrap of evidence (ASS - telling one side of the story). Why would the girl go to ACA and not the law...?

Consider how credible the sources are. To what extent may the truth have been manipulated and why?

N

ND

Thanks timmii, now if only i could get a copy of that ACA story....

timmii

sporadic attendee
not necessarily the ACA story - newspaper articles explaining the situation are probs better.

Leanne

HSC
hmm..that sounds really good....i'm using the story of lindy chamberlain i think..and i have this other article about how the media tried to get mariane pearl (the wife of daniel pearl- reporter who got abducted in pakistan) to look 'more pregnant and weepy'...plus i'm using wag the dog.....

oh yeah, for lindy chamberlain is it ok that i dont have an actual article- like can i simply use the story as an example?
thanx!

N

ND

Originally posted by timmii
not necessarily the ACA story - newspaper articles explaining the situation are probs better.
Yeh true.

oh yeah, for lindy chamberlain is it ok that i dont have an actual article- like can i simply use the story as an example?
I think you'll need an article - you need to talk techniques.

Leanne

HSC
can anyone plz give me samples of themes..in point form....

cos thats how i want to structure my essay...but i dont know what themes would be best to use that highlight 'telling the truth'...

thanx!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Leanne
can anyone plz give me samples of themes..in point form....

cos thats how i want to structure my essay...but i dont know what themes would be best to use that highlight 'telling the truth'...

thanx!
there's lots on the main site about themes of frontline

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by GillyBean
*Raises hand* Yessss! and then they juxtapose (now theres a word ive heard too many times) Ha-ha, he's done it again.. He's a national treasure. with he's shithouse!
I love it. :D
i totally agree with you about use of the word 'juxtapose' or 'juxtaposition' - our teachers are trying to get us to find other techniques... just coz everyone has an obsession with that word!! and we want to STAND OUT to the marker!

and to timmii - thanks a million buddy!! you've got some really good ideas there that will definately come in handy on wednesday?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)