Fuck yeah Rudd is *OUTTA HERE* (1 Viewer)

HSC
I don't know if this is the end of Labour, though. Gillard might step in and win it for for them.

There's also the curious matter of the Greens, who're polling very high and in what research from the polling companies suggest is a sustained bounce (not merely a protest vote). I say they're curious because the preference breakdown has gone from 80%-20% Labour-Liberal to about 65%-35% Labour-Liberal, meaning Labour can no longer rely on the Greens for preferences.

It's entirely feasible, though maybe not probable, that we'd see a Coalition government which had to negotiate in good faith with the Greens in the Senate to pass legislation.
sounds strangely familiar to an elction one month ago

Garygaz

HSC
fuck i wish the democrats were back and they held the balance of power. the greens are too hippy and mind boggling pro-environment to put forth or vote for any intelligent legislation.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
fuck i wish the democrats were back and they held the balance of power. the greens are too hippy and mind boggling pro-environment to put forth or vote for any intelligent legislation.
+ 1

Bob you spaz go back to medicine

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
Wherevr sentient beings are being mistreated
HSC
wow irrefutable evidence

The ATO on the other hand is a bastion of impartiality
The ATOs data said no such thing, that was one blogger's interpretation of the data. He doesn't show how he arrived at that 41% figure either considering royalties vary from state to state and from one resource to another. They are actually completely made up.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't support the tax in its current form because it essentially legislates in government bailouts for mining companies that under-perform. They should be allowed to fail.

This is beneficial to the big miners and detrimental to the small ones.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
abbott is a joke. turnbull is the only choice for a liberal PM in my opinion.
meh doesn't matter who the leader is

vote for party not leader

unless of course that leader wants to radically change said party which it appears tony is not

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
HSC
I don't support the tax in its current form because it essentially legislates in government bailouts for mining companies that under-perform. They should be allowed to fail.

This is beneficial to the big miners and detrimental to the small ones.
it's detrimental to everyone, it is nationalisation of 40% of the industry.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
it's detrimental to everyone, it is nationalisation of 40% of the industry.
Yeah, that's the spin being put out by the mining companies, sure.

Just for the record: it's a tax on profits beyond those forecast (hence 'super profits'), not a 40% tax on straight revenue/profits.

I'd be happy if the mining companies were taxed at the same rate as the banks (and thus most industry), but they're not - they are taxed about half as much.

Really, there's a compelling case for taxing ALL businesses at the SAME rate of about 30% or so...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

unless of course that leader wants to radically change said party which it appears tony is not
Agreed, don't let this become a popularity contest.

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
HSC

Just for the record: it's a tax on profits beyond those forecast (hence 'super profits'), not a 40% tax on straight revenue/profits.

I'd be happy if the mining companies were taxed at the same rate as the banks (and thus most industry), but they're not - they are taxed about half as much.

Really, there's a compelling case for taxing ALL businesses at the SAME rate of about 30% or so...
True, I was using it as hyperbole, but the whole idea of backing projects that don't work is crazy. Sure there should be tax concessions on exploration (as there already are, with accelerated depreciation) but backing potential losses is crazy.

badquinton304

HSC
Atm.

You would be surprised how many people do not know this.

I would also prefer them to be taxed at the 28% that buisness is getting. It would be so much easier politically because regardless of how uch you increase mining companies will cry broke, but at least if it was the same as buisness then people wont really listen to thier bitching. I mean all this canceling of projects what a feint.

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
HSC
Yeah the tax should be the same but I definitely see the merits for royalties in addition to federal tax as it is a one off thing. Not because of some stupid idea like all australians own it or whatever, but because mining has servere environmental impacts.

Existential

HSC
N/A

"which it appears"

we both know turnbull is twice the leader abbott is.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah the tax should be the same but I definitely see the merits for royalties in addition to federal tax as it is a one off thing. Not because of some stupid idea like all australians own it or whatever, but because mining has servere environmental impacts.
Wouldn't it make sense to just have stricter environmental controls and regulations instead? ;)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
what right doest he government have to tax anyone honestly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)