Full time work and uni? (1 Viewer)

andthen

HSC
So I was about to start my 3rd year (out of 3) of uni but have been offered a full time job just before I was ready to start. It was mentioned that I could continue to do part time uni whilst working full time. Although, how would this work? I go to UoW and my original timetable was all over the place. Thus if I was to even attend one lecture, I would need to take an entire day off per week. Is this how it tends to work? Although even if I did get one day off a week for uni, it would still only let me attend lectures for one subject and thus it would take me forever to finish my last year of study.

izzy88

HSC
It depends how flexible the work is and how much you are able to combine your timetable. The other aspect is if the job is in the career you want to go into, and is your degree needed for the job? (Are they expecting you to finish your degree? In which case I would assume they would be pretty flexible). If the job isn't in the career you want, then you probably shouldn't give up your degree, or slow it down for the job.

There are a couple of ways it could work:
1) If work is close to uni, and flexible - you could go from work to class and back to work in a day - eg. start work at 8am, then head over for a 10am class, then go back to work. Perhaps work later than normal as well.
2) Uni class is flexible - you are able to choose subjects to make them fit into a one or two day timetable. Even half days and do the similar of above and have class in morning for example, and go to work after lunch. Obviously this isn't quite full time, but I guess it just depends on how work is. Does the uni offer night/evening class? Or do you even need to go to class at all? If there's no participation and they don't mark the roll, then can you just skip class and teach yourself (I don't recommend this, but you would know what the classes are like and how much you want/need the job).

Option 3, you say you can't work full time as you have to finish your degree, but could you work part time for a year, and full time in holidays or defer the position completely for a year until you finish.

andthen

HSC
The job is extremely relevant to my intended career path and the main reason why I'm wanting to take it (the pay is $35k). And the degree would certainly help with aspects of the job so I'd think they'd want me to graduate.

As for location, UoW and my work is many hours difference so it would be pretty much impossible to even have a half day, because it wouldn't be worth it due to travel. I haven't done any research into night classes but they don't really exist. Best case scenario would be I could pick some late tut times together and skip lecture(s). Although now that I think about it more... the less viable it seems to balance the two. In which case I think my career may just suffer a bit in the long term if I fail to complete my last year at all.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lots of people who work full time skip the lectures and just turn up to tutes.
good luck!

izzy88

HSC
I think you should probably consider your career in the long run, and thus finish your degree. However I guess the other option could be to defer uni for a year, take the job for a year and see how it goes. You then get contacts etc and could then go back to uni after a year to finish.

HSC
I think you should probably consider your career in the long run, and thus finish your degree. However I guess the other option could be to defer uni for a year, take the job for a year and see how it goes. You then get contacts etc and could then go back to uni after a year to finish.
I'd recommend the deferring for one year, using that year to work plan also. That way, throughout the year you can always discuss with your employer that you have university on the backburner for the year, and see how they feel about you working and studying at the same time. Some employers are quite happy to give you a day off to get some studies done, if it's related to the career you're working in. Perhaps even talk to your employer before deferring to see how they stand about it.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I know people who work 40+hrs a week, as well as a science course at uni, its tiring (they're ALWAYS) tired, but they get through it. Might be difficult if the job is during normal business hours.

M@ster P

HSC
depends on the course, like doing full time work and full time engineering, i don't think is possible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)