• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

games have a story as well... (1 Viewer)

0shane0

HSC
i just wanna know if any one else fells that games plots should be included as a legitimate text in english... for eg physical journeys... alot of games have great stories half life 2 warcraft 3 or any warcraft lore, F.E.A.R doom 3. the list goes on and they all fit in under physical journeys.

my point is does any one else think that same way.....

iLuke

HSC
Yeah i see where you are coming from. Some game plots are excellent, and many of the adventure/rpg catagory games are pretty much just journeys!

Eg:
shemue 2
devil may cry
morrowind (although its a little diverse)

Some would be far to hard to analyse and use as a legitimate text though. In that respect i would say no to using them as a text, but yes to your views/opinion.

T

Testpilot

yeah use pretty much any FPS. Doom, halo etc have great journeys potential.

</sarcasm>

Retrovertigo

HSC
N/A
I thought of using games, but the thing is, games like Final Fantasy can have too much of its own technology and terminology, which might just make it that much harder to write about.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Uh, point of interest: it might look like you're more interested in gaming that actual work if you pick one. You might also notice individual text types - novel, film, etc - have different approaches in terms of analysing them, so my question is how are you going to do a game properly?

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd be more worried about what the examiner would think when he/she sees "this concept of the journey is also conveyed in the video game Final Fantasy 10". As far as techniques go, nothing you use can sound sophisticated. You can analyze FMV sequences as you would a film, but nothing else really fits the bill.

All in all, even though games do convey concepts of physical journeys, I personally think the examiner, even though they are meant to be impartial and open-minded, wouldn't take to a video game as well as he/she would take to a conventionally used text.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Not a bad idea using video game plots for english. When they ask you for techniques, you can just crap on about what resolution you're playing it at and the enemy AI.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
tallkid34 said:
Not a bad idea using video game plots for english. When they ask you for techniques, you can just crap on about what resolution you're playing it at and the enemy AI.
But they're not techniques unless they're directly related to how the medium demonstrates a journey. Remember in Final Fantasy X when the party arrives at Rin's Travel Agency on the Mi'hen Highroad an fights the Chocobo Eater? That's possibly the least important boss in the game, yet if you want to talk about enemy AI, how does that relate to everything?

A two-hour films such as Witness is difficult enough to analyse and write an essay on in forty minutes. Video games are much, much longer - Final Fantasy X usually takes 30-40 hours - so you can't expect to be able to write a decent essay (and one that will be taken seriously; if I were a marker, I'd be wary of one from the moment I saw that you were analysing a video game) in the exams.

In short, don't do it. You'll be wasting your time and thowing away easy marks. There are hundreds of other texts that are not only more appropriate, but easier to analysie and discuss.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
tallkid34 said:
Except if you use one as a creative writing piece ...
I'm notorious within my grade for attempting to install Counter-Strike on school computers in the past and writing about my quests on foiling terrorism seems very corny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)