Gender inequality (1 Viewer)

HSC
I think that our inherently patriarchal society still does not support women in the workplace.

'Girl' jobs, like teaching or nursing, are ridiculously underpaid. 'Boy' jobs, like bricklaying, are not worth as much as teaching!

There is still a glass ceiling preventing women from being at the head of corporate companies.

This surreptitious discrimination needs to stop.

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yeah teaching and nursing are *heaps* underpaid

Men are under represented in health care jobs, WHERE IS THE EQUALITY EH?

ilikebeeef

HSC
I think that our inherently patriarchal society still does not support women in the workplace.

'Girl' jobs, like teaching or nursing, are ridiculously underpaid. 'Boy' jobs, like bricklaying, are not worth as much as teaching!

There is still a glass ceiling preventing women from being at the head of corporate companies.

Yeah.

Ritard_

Banned
HSC
men = strong and smart
women = weak and caring

weak and caring dont make you successful in business world okay

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
mentally and physically some jobs women just can't do.

i mean they can but they ether suck at it or hate it.

women bricklayers is a stupid idea, less work done and also i can imagine a women hating to do it, it would bore them (as it does to many) to tears

teachers in primary is understandable, its dominated by women because men generally can't stand whinnying crying little Kids

its the maternal instincts and emotional differences that drive women to things like nursing or child care. i seriously can't see a women enjoying being a plumber or a trench digger. just like i can't see men enjoying being a kindergarten teacher or working in a womens clothing store unless they were gay or really metro

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Has it occured to you that maybe men as a whole have mroe of an interest in business. If their were more women in business perhaps they will be represented better in terms of heads of corporations.

Also, rather hypocritical isn't it that ytou talk about sexism and then do the sexist thing of generalising the genders under different occupations. I mean there are a few men nurses and a lot of men teachers.

Finally, teaching more important than bricklaying? I think having buildings is integral for a good school in the first place.

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
Instead of whingeing about not getting the top jobs, just work harder to get them. I can whinge all I like about not being the head of a multinational corporation and call it whatever discrimination I like, it still won't get me there.

HSC
Has it occured to you that maybe men as a whole have mroe of an interest in business. If their were more women in business perhaps they will be represented better in terms of heads of corporations.
There are plenty of women in business.

Also, rather hypocritical isn't it that ytou talk about sexism and then do the sexist thing of generalising the genders under different occupations. I mean there are a few men nurses and a lot of men teachers.
I was using their language, to make a point.

Finally, teaching more important than bricklaying? I think having buildings is integral for a good school in the first place.
People cannot study in the sunshine?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I've actually found it to be the complete opposite to this from personal experience. I was offered a job at KPMG, the two interviewers who were Partners (basically joint owners) in the division I was applying for were both female.

Similarly I was at IBM for 8 hours yesterday, like 3/4 of the executives I met were female. Not to mention I was the only male they let through to that stage of the application process.

Yeah, theres probably more males than females in higher positions of larger companies but I personally dont think its as a result of unequal treatment.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Interesting article in Newsweek on this issue the other week.

Sexism at Work: Young Women, Newsweek, and Gender - Newsweek.com

Totally can't be bothered to summarise but there are a couple interesting points:
"If we judge by what we see in the media, it looks like women have it made," says author Susan Douglas. "And if women have it made, why would you be so ungrateful to point to something and call it sexism?"
But just as the first black president hasn't wiped out racism, a female at the top of a company doesn't eradicate sexism. In fact, those contradictory signs of progress—high-profile successes that mask persistent inequality—are precisely the problem. Douglas describes those mixed messages as "enlightened sexism": the idea that because of all the gains women have made, biases that once would have been deemed sexist now get brushed off. Young women, consequently, are left in a bind: they worry they'll never be taken as seriously as the guys, yet when they're given the opportunity to run the show, they balk.
In a highly sexualized, post-PC world, navigating gender roles at work is more confusing than ever. The sad truth is that when we do see women rise to the top, we wonder: was it purely their abilities, or did it have something to do with their looks?

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Women have as much of an opportunity to become to CEO of a corporation as any man. Nobody is stopping a woman from registering an ABN/ACN and starting a pursuit of her dream.

If you want an explanation why women get paid less, go visit an Engineering / Software Engineering Lecture and then, after, a Media / Psychology Lecture.

Women and Men are wired differently. They serve different purposes. Just accept it, it is pointless to fight nature.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I thought the deal was that women tend to do fine in uni, they're just as represented in grad positions as men.

BUT once they get to their late 20s- early 30s, they start taking time off to have children. This is at the most critical point in their career, so the men go up the ladder and the women stay at home taking care of their kids. When they do get back into the workforce, they want flexible hours and generally take up part time/casual positions. And this is not conducive to being the CEO of a company.

0bs3n3

HSC

Your sig is offensive. Stop objectifying women you misogynistic brute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)