General 2013 HSC advice and help (1 Viewer)

speedybugger1

HSC
Can you guys give me an indication of how much study needs to be done now, as a Year 11, each night?
What are some effective study techniques that you guys can pass off?
I feel overwhelmed.
I don't know how to start making notes, how often I should make them, what are good ways to memorise things, how early I should study before an exam??

Shazer2

HSC
I didn't go well in prelim but it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. Definitely get all your homework due done once you get home, maybe you could then summarise what you did in class that day into note form ready for studying when required. There isn't really a set time limit.

Rawf

HSC
Go home, do your homework. Write notes on what you've gone through so far (printed is faster & better).
Do everything as you go, not just when the test comes about or you'll find that you're screwed. When you get test notifications (usually 2 weeks before), print out all the notes. Firstly read over them, if it doesn't go into your head try to write them out by hand. Do 2-3 past papers WITH your notes, and then try without your notes.

hazza1424

HSC
Go home, do your homework. Write notes on what you've gone through so far (printed is faster & better).
Do everything as you go, not just when the test comes about or you'll find that you're screwed. When you get test notifications (usually 2 weeks before), print out all the notes. Firstly read over them, if it doesn't go into your head try to write them out by hand. Do 2-3 past papers WITH your notes, and then try without your notes.
honestly i dont think u should start doing past hsc papers at this moment, past half yearlies and trials sound alright! but not hsc otherwise when u get to the hsc ur not gonna have any more past papers to do.

mimi2195

HSC
I'm planning to finish the syllabus for all my subjects by the end of the year (going to work on all my subjects in the end-of-year summer break). That way in my classes, my teachers are pretty much going over what I've already learnt myself and I can ask questions about concepts i don't understand.

HSC
I'm just making notes for every dot point in the syllabus when learned that afternoon and ticking them off as I go ;) . I'm doing these ones detailed and I'll re-read them every so often. For me, everyday it takes around 2 hours + Homework! It's not hard just very time consuming and remember you have HSC online to help you with the dot points as well :D

I will most likely start doing 1 creative writing a week so I can improve my english as I didn't go to well in my Yearly's!

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
Initially a few hours a day, but it depends on your subjects and how you learn. For example, you can get so much more out of your study/have more time to study if you listen to lectures/podcasts on your topics OR if you read out past essays or chapters from study guides and record it via garageband or whatever. That way you can constantly be revisiting the information and reflecting on it while going about your business. Also, I have found that discussions can be extremely effective in helping to consolidate your knowledge - I use it as a strategy while tutoring and it's always very helpful.

RushDawgs

HSC
Uni Grad
a good tip for HSC is have a creative piece ( English paper 1) created early, have it checked and marked and practice it.
When it came to the HSC in my case my creative piece just had to be reworded one or two sentences to fit the stimulus and i just wrote the story almost word by word, and still managed to have enough time to finely tune my essay.

But paper 2 on the other hand, you might need to learn how to manage time, i did my essays in 38min intervals leaving me 6 mins to correct anything or add to parts that needed more attention

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Do your homework. If you can be bothered, write summaries/essays.

George121

HSC
If you can't be bothered studying just do all your homework - you'll be surprise as to how much more you can learn through homework rather than study

Make sure you WANT to study - no point reading over stuff if your mind is somewhere else

Keep yourself busy outside of study - join a youth group, gym, sporting club, etc. just to keep you active and relieve stress

Social media isn't recommended, but it doesn't have to be avoided if you can discipline yourself

Other than that, average around 2-3 hours a night in year 11 and don't burn yourself out - try to have all your syllabus notes ready for term 2 so you can spend the year revising and working on past papers

Goodluck, and remember, HSC isn't the end of the world!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
First rule of the universe: Don't Panic.

You'd be surprised at how much a little every night can add up, with more at peak work times like half yearlies/trials/HSC. Consistency is key. Study is very individualistic pursuit, some people like to do a bit of every subject, I prefer to study in a chunk for a subject for a more prolonged time.

George121

HSC
First rule of the universe: Don't Panic.

You'd be surprised at how much a little every night can add up, with more at peak work times like half yearlies/trials/HSC. Consistency is key. Study is very individualistic pursuit, some people like to do a bit of every subject, I prefer to study in a chunk for a subject for a more prolonged time.
I prefer to cram the night before - the pressure seems to keep me going

BUT i only do this because i have the general knowledge i need for the course and i feel confident for it

Jessicaz2910

HSC
study smart, not hard - by that i mean, discriminate between the useful homework and the ones that don't help and are time consuming. i didn't make notes until maybe 3 weeks before exams. i typed them out, printed, and highlighted. and did past papers. although i had some stressful nights, it worked out really well for me!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Can you guys give me an indication of how much study needs to be done now, as a Year 11, each night?
What are some effective study techniques that you guys can pass off?
I feel overwhelmed.
I don't know how to start making notes, how often I should make them, what are good ways to memorise things, how early I should study before an exam??
I spent the year working this out, eventually I didn't make any. So moral is just do them, it's harder to start something, but easier to fix it once you have it.

bleakarcher

HSC
I spent the year working this out, eventually I didn't make any. So moral is just do them, it's harder to start something, but easier to fix it once you have it.
I don't even make any notes tbh, not bothered for that shit. I'm just reading out of textbooks and other notes. I find that a lot of people end up writing their notes and just wasting their time when they realise that in writing their notes they haven't really gained too much knowledge. The point is to somehow get the information into your head so imo writing notes is unnecessary.

bleakarcher

HSC
I don't even make any notes tbh, not bothered for that shit. I'm just reading out of textbooks and other notes. I find that a lot of people end up writing their notes and just wasting their time when they realise that in writing their notes they haven't really gained too much knowledge. The point is to somehow get the information into your head so imo writing notes is unnecessary.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But this is how some people learn, especially with content heavy subjects. My friend has a lot for History.

Denzel22

HSC
I didn't go well in prelim but it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm referring to. Definitely get all your preparation due done once you get house, maybe you could then summarize what you did in college that day into observe type prepared for learning when needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)