General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (1 Viewer)

iversion

HSC
N/A
prolly best to check with ur school if a 6uoc course from another faculty can be counted as a gened.
and yeah, if u choose 3uoc gened, u need to do 2 to make 6 units of credit

iversion

HSC
N/A
has anyone done Owning Creativity: Issues in Intellectual Property - GENL2323 ??
Or Aviation: Contemporary Issues in a Complex Socotechnical System - GENS5002 and
An Introduction to Marketing - GENC6001?

i cant decide whether to do the first one which is 6uoc or the latter 2 which are both 3uoc ones..

Last edited:

Ezzdawg

HSC
I'm really sleepy so I cbb browsing through all 12 pages for answer..so I apologise if this question has already been answered...

for general ed..when can we start doing it and when do we have to do them by?

Like I see alotta people doing general ed in their 3rd year etc..does that mean us 1st years dont have to worry about picking General Eds just yet?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
for general ed..when can we start doing it and when do we have to do them by?

Like I see alotta people doing general ed in their 3rd year etc..does that mean us 1st years dont have to worry about picking General Eds just yet?
You may do GenEds any time within your degree. As long as you complete all 12 units of credit worth of GenEds before you graduate then it is fine.

One of the reasons many students do their GenEds in 3rd year is because that's when they have free UOC (e.g. 48 UOC in both first and second year are taken up by core/elective courses). And generally you cannnot overload.

I actually did a GenEd in my first year because I have a "free" 3 UOC.

The bottom line is you can do GenEds whenever you want as long as you do them before you graduate.

Hope this helps.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Some online ones are really easy, some requires more work. I have two friends who did an online one and they completely hated it because the lecturer in charge was not very nice and amrked really harshly.

I did the Energy and Mineral Resources one and I quite enjoyed it. The only thing was you have to contribute to online discussion and there are so many posts to keep track of you people repeat the same thing over and over again - I'm not sure how well these people score with their participation marks.

The assessment tasks were one essay, online participation, group work, and 2 quizzes.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
are there any second year gen-eds that run in first semester? I cant seem to find any interesting ones that to, theyre all either second semester or in summer sesh..

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
How are online gen eds? Generally easy? Worth doing?
hi there!

i have done 3 online gen-eds:

• GENS4015 - Brave New World. This is a really easy gen-ed, you just have to make the effort of making a few posts on the forum every week. < 1 hr of work per week. i only got a CR because i didn't really get into it, and went about 6 weeks without making any posts. but heaps of nerdy discussion if that's your thing
  • GENM0701 - Contemporary Bioethics. Boring. It's not really bioethics (eg stem cell research, abortion, juicy topics) but mostly doctor-patient stuff and the ethical responsibilites of the healthcare system. No one reads each other's discussion posts, but simply answers the required tute questions. an easy HD but boring
  • GENS4010 - Science and Religion. Highly recommended. I loved this gen-ed -- the lecture material is pretty well-written, and the online discussions are fiery! i got heaps into it and spent a couple of hours a week making posts, but obviously to get a decent mark you wouldn't need to spend that long. i got an HD but i put a fair bit of work in
hope this helps :)

Ak0ona-Matata

HSC
im doing a bachelor of science
and i've enrolled in a 6 unit gen ed course in my first year
from faculty of law, is dis okay?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Has anybody done the Gen-Ed Astronomy GENS4001 ?

If so, how is it?

ShadowSwifter

HSC
A quick question:

Is there a way to buy second hand UNSW books? Does UNSW have a secondhand book shop?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
A quick question:

Is there a way to buy second hand UNSW books? Does UNSW have a secondhand book shop?
Just as u enter the uni from the main entrance (anzac pde) turn left towards the roundhouse, just before it is a building where there'd be a hairdresser, a travel thingo, and a second hand bookstore.

Also, im doing 2 gen-eds this semester: GENC6001 - An Introduction to Marketing and GENS5001 - Aviation: Behind the scenes (once class size has increased and i can enrol into it).
Anyone done em? How are they, easy? Hard? What are assessments like?

Last edited:

Blue_20

HSC
Does anyone know about the Assessment Details of
GENS5001- Aviation Behind the scenes?

I might do it next semester.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
theres a poster/pamphlet u gotta make to advertise gens5001 to potential students, then a trip to the airport and a quiz, and final exam is 50 multiple choice i think.

im around 80% sure thats all the assessments for that, i was doing that course this semester but i dropped out just before hecs census date coz it was too boring, lol.

Blue_20

HSC
Thanks a lot

So what do we have to do for the poster? I mean do we just make a poster or do we have to do an oral presentation or ...?
and overall do you recommend this course?

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do GENS5001 as well, any info would be great.

Blue_20

HSC
Sorry Omie_Jay for asking many questions

but could you please tell me more about the poster?
Do we have to make an A3 poster about the course or do we have an oral presentation or...?

Do you recommend the course overall?

eye ov azazel

Dismembered Member
HSC
N/A
its a pamphlet i think, meaning folded up A4 page.

needs to advertise the course to potential future gens5001 students. they specifically mentioned that it doesnt matter if you are not artistically articulate (lol) and that u just need to sell this course off to possible future students.

most of the people in the class were aviation nerds, they can tell a plane is an A330 just by looking at it, and whether an engine is an RR or a GE just by looking, so if you're a person like this then you'd fit in fine :)

edit: here's some info

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/GENS5001.html

http://www.aviation.unsw.edu.au/current/gened.html, they say poster, but when i did it they said pamphlet, but like Omie Jay i also dropped it.

maybe email the lecturer in charge, Mr. Antony Glambedakis, for further info.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)