General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
xxPanDa said:
yeh i just realised work and safety was open!

im innn!

hmmm whens census date? is that when u can drop a course without failing?
census date is when you can drop the course without incurring any penalties (financially) i think.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I got out of Plants and people. Now im doing BNW and W+S.

Is it easy to get 80+ in these subjects?

xxPanDa

HSC
i just realised
work and safety is offered in summer course
might drop it now, and leave it till thann..

is BraveNewWorld offered in summer course?

HSC
I think someone asked.

AFAIK the general education system is getting re-vampted next year. There will no longer be general education courses, people will simply take regular courses from another faculty, and that will be classed as a general education course. May not be finalised, etc - it's just what I've heard.

Anyway, I'm already taking advantage of this, taking 2x6UOC courses this semester and hoping to write them off as gen ed's. Cleared it with my school office of course.

xxPanDa

HSC
Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
From memory I didn't have to go to the library at all for GENE7801 when I did it in 2005. It's a simple course with a lot of online reading. It's a good course to do.

Good luck.

^emmie^

HSC
has anyone done GENS3501 metals, ceramics, plastics- building the twenty first century

just wondering if its good, and also what the assessments are

also is it a good idea to do two geneds in summer ses or not

Last edited:

click here

to see my profile
HSC
How come there's so few gen ed offered this summer? Can't do HIV one, work and saftey...there's little choice, really disappointed!

Beege

HSC
Just wondering if anyone has done personal financial planning, is it any good?

Pace_T

HSC
i was looking at the geneds available for semester 1 next year and couldnt find many 6 unit ones.. where are they all? i thought they were phasing out the 3 unit geneds?

HSC
Pace_T said:
i was looking at the geneds available for semester 1 next year and couldnt find many 6 unit ones.. where are they all? i thought they were phasing out the 3 unit geneds?
Take (almost any) course from a faculty other than your own, and it's considered a gen ed.

At least from what I've heard, and our school (cse) does this already.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
It's a shame all the online courses are maxed out already. I hadn't realised they'd get snapped up within two or so days.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ

pinkly said:
It's a shame all the online courses are maxed out already. I hadn't realised they'd get snapped up within two or so days.
Another reason why I'm adding on an extra degree of Arts (Japanese), Arts (German) or Science (Physics).

I bet Omium or uhaww would have some information.

COSTOII

HSC
Survivor39 said:
From memory I didn't have to go to the library at all for GENE7801 when I did it in 2005. It's a simple course with a lot of online reading. It's a good course to do.

Good luck.
I hope its easy, I'm doing it online over the summer semester.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Beege said:
Just wondering if anyone has done personal financial planning, is it any good?
ive done GENC3003 "Personal Financial Planning" this session

i thought it would be crap, but it's turned out to be really good. however you have to be really quick to enrol - it fills up in a day or two.

the lecturer is a professional financial planner, and he is very engaging and good to listen to - the 2 hours don't feel nearly as slow as a maths lecture....

it's not the easiest gen ed in terms of marks though - you have to track your expenses in minute detail for 8 weeks, which is hard if you're like me and leave everything to the night before. Also, the tests (even though they are multiple choice and open book) are actually really hard for a gen ed. i think i'll be lucky to get a distinction in this one

however, on the whole, the course is really interesting and useful (unlike another gened i did - "contemporary bioethics")

if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask here or send me a PM :)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Hey, I did Brave New World this semester and we were supposed to get our major assignment marks back...well some people did, but others were still waiting...I have been denied access on webct.

Anyone else having this problem?

iversion

HSC
N/A
for ppl who are doing a single degree, do geneds get counted in the calculation of the final wam at the end of ur degree? i heard they are not included in the calculation and only courses directly from ones faculty are included, but i wasnt sure if the final wam is based on a weighted average of ALL marks based on ALL your credit points, ie inclusive of gened courses too... i ask because i hear we can now choose 6uoc courses from other faculties (provided we get approval) and we dont have to choose courses with GEN prefix. if geneds do get counted to final wam etc i would rather choose a really "easy" course than a really "interesting" course that may necessarily end up being not so "easy".

thanks for any help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)