General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (1 Viewer)

Dwight

HSC
I know commerce students arent allowed to do geneds until they have completed 48UOC...but what happens if you want to substitute a course you did in first year towards your gened requirement, is that allowed?

Gillianna

HSC
Has anyone done GEND0221: Draw your world for genedu in COFA?
do the assessments involve theory or is everything practicle work?
thax

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Gillianna said:
Has anyone done GEND0221: Draw your world for genedu in COFA?
do the assessments involve theory or is everything practicle work?
thax
most COFA geneds would be a mix of theory and prac assessments

ace

is retired
HSC
menty said:
If in the UNSW hand book its says,

General Education Requirements
6 UOC to be completed in Stage 3

Does that mean I can ONLY do geneds in year 3
You can do geneds whenever you want, they can't stop you from enrolling. The reason they give template guides to degrees and when to do things, is people for the most part can't figure out a sensible format to do themselves.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yeah, you don't really need to listen to what the handbook says. If you head onto myUNSW, you can enroll into any Gen Ed Course (provided that the gen ed course you chose had prereqs).

The best way to be sure is to call your school's Admin office + check up with Gen Ed.

ks21

HSC
Has anybody done GENE8000 Spreadsheet and Database Applications?
If so, could you please tell me how hard the 70% final exam was and what format? This will help me in deciding whether to enrol in this course or not.

Thanks in advance

Dwight

HSC
Could anyone who has done GENS4015 Brave New World please post up their course outline? Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Numero Uno

HSC
Im wondering if its possible to do a language subject like SPAN1001 for my gen ed. Would I need approval from my faculty or can I enrol in it straight away.
The subject is 6 units of credit which completes my gen ed requirements for the upcoming semester, or would it be best to choose one of the specifically made gen ed subjects GEN****.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
you can do it as long as your 6 other gened units do not come from arts faculty

from my understanding you cannot do any from commerce, and engineering will let you take 3uoc from engo geneds

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yes any Language OR College of Fine Arts courses can be substituted for 6 UOC worth of General Education. You must request for a Gen Ed transfer from your Program/School Authority.

However, you can only do a max of 6 UOC from 1 faculty for Gen Eds.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of either Managing your Business or the Legal foundations of human rights (title paraphrased)

leski

HSC
Minai said:
If you do JAPN1001, you can apply for that to be part of your Gened (6UOC) - which also means you cant do any more gened from the Arts faculty
japn 1001 is 6 uoc. if i do japn 1001 &1002 (12 uoc), does it mean i fulfill the GE requirement?

sunny

meh.
HSC
leski said:
japn 1001 is 6 uoc. if i do japn 1001 &1002 (12 uoc), does it mean i fulfill the GE requirement?
No, as Minai said and others have said you can only do a max of 6UOC of gen eds from any single one faculty (see first post in this thread as well).

You can't do any more gen eds from the Arts faculty (ie, JAPN1002) after you do JAPN1001 because you would have already done 6UOC from Arts.

leski

HSC
my bad. didnt read it carefully.

thanx sunny.:)

EDIT: i do like to learn japn. but i dont wanna do double degree.

Last edited:

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I'm most likely going to do JAPN2000 in S1 stage one as part of my Advanced Science degree. In Avd Sci you start GenEds in second year. Will I be able to substitute the 6UoC I did with JAPN2000 in year one session one for 6UoC of Gen Ed in year two, and do a different 6UoC course, possibly a science one (or more Japanese)? Or do you have to do your substituted course at the same time as you would have done the Gen. Ed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)