General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
fright said:
Would you be allowed to do all 12 UOC of Gen Eds in one summer session? For example, could I complete them all during the 2009 summer session, rather than do them during the 2 main sessions?
Depends on your program. Some let you do them whenever you want. If you don't care what you do it might be easy, but if theres particular gen eds you want to do it might be hard to find 4 that don't clash as well.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
I've got a question.. lol.

when i try to enrol in Brave new world, it comes up with an error:
Error:Student's maximum term load exceeded
the subjects im doing atm are:
ACCT2522
FINS2624
FINS3616
LEGT1711

anybody know what's wrong? .. or am i not allowed to do gened's atm?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It means you have already taken up the max. allowable number of units. You can only do 24 UOC per session. In some cases you can overload, but this requires special permission by the Head of School.

Vylen

HSC
Survivor39 said:
It means you have already taken up the max. allowable number of units. You can only do 24 UOC per session. In some cases you can overload, but this requires special permission by the Head of School.
Technically, you can do 27 without any issues.

In any case, if you go to myUNSW, you can look up your permitted amount of credits that you can take in the upcomming semester. Can't quite remember where but there's not many places to look.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I was told I could do 27 UOC but I can never enrol in more than 24 through myunsw.

hectic18

HSC
N/A

Vylen

HSC
hectic18 said:
Hey everyone

I'm going for a BE/BSci (Comp Sci)...will I be doing GenEd?
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/gen...leducation2.html#GeneralEducationRequirements and http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3730.html says that

"As a general rule, students enrolled in combined undergraduate programs leading to the award of two degrees, each in a different faculty, meet their General Education requirements."

Thing is, I have NFI what it means by meeting their GE requirements xD
no, what it means to say is that by doing a double degree, you meet the general education requirements of doing courses outside of a given faculty....

so, in your case, you're doing courses part of a science degree that are outside of the engineering faculty and vice versa..

short story even shorter, you dont need to do Gened's when undergoing a double degree

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Can we do a language as part of our general education?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I'm not bothered looking through the whole thread :p

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
If we are beginners at them, will the course run long enough for us to advance a fair bit? Or is it unwise to pick it up?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Gosh, I am so confused. Do people do General Education courses during their first year? And how many units of credit is typically undertaken during the first year?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
You can if you want. 24 uocs.

shinji said:
I've got a question.. lol.

when i try to enrol in Brave new world, it comes up with an error:

the subjects im doing atm are:
ACCT2522
FINS2624
FINS3616
LEGT1711

anybody know what's wrong? .. or am i not allowed to do gened's atm?
I got that during first year, I was limited to 24 uocs. But this year (my 3rd year) I'm doing:

CHIN1006 (6 uocs)
MGMT1101 (6 uocs)
ECON2206 (6 uocs)
ECON3121 (6 uocs)
GENS4015 (3 uocs)

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Do you happen to know the summer session dates?

Vylen

HSC
La Divina said:
Gosh, I am so confused. Do people do General Education courses during their first year? And how many units of credit is typically undertaken during the first year?
typically, people do 24 UOC per session...

most people are permitted to do 27 maximum... permission is needed to do 30...

as far as i know, people dont usually do geneds in their first year... but its completely up to you whether or not you want to do your geneds ASAP to get them out of the way (most people do that so they con concentrate on their core subjects later without silly distractions)

the uni and its schools always provide a program guide with the subjects you have to do and when to do them... usually its best to follow this order as some subjects may be need to be done before others or some can only be done in one session... but in the end, the guid is only a guide... you're free to do the subjects required in any order you want as long as you meet all the pre-requistes and whatnot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)