General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (2 Viewers)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
toadstooltown said:
I'm most likely going to do JAPN2000 in S1 stage one as part of my Advanced Science degree. In Avd Sci you start GenEds in second year. Will I be able to substitute the 6UoC I did with JAPN2000 in year one session one for 6UoC of Gen Ed in year two, and do a different 6UoC course, possibly a science one (or more Japanese)? Or do you have to do your substituted course at the same time as you would have done the Gen. Ed?
That's fine. You can do your gen ed (or JAPN2000) whenever you want as long as you have done it.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
Hey,
Does anyone know what the attendance requirements for tutorials (thinking of doing a 6unit course in the school of mathematics) are, because some of them clash with my main course lectures?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
anyone done the "Draw the Body:Surface Anatomy" and "Draw the World Within/Without" cofa geneds? Just curious what they're like, i can't seem to find much info.. All i know is it's two weeks of 3 hours everyday each.. seems fun but it'll be great if i know what i'd be getting into

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I just finished those geneds last week. You're meant to take only one of them for the 2 weeks.. and taking 2 of them will tax you with so much drawing (imagine doing 9 hours of drawing everyday), but I seem to manage just fine. It was a load of fun though, particularly with getting your hands dirty with charcoal for the first time ever. Definitely highly recommended.

yook

HSC
im doing gene7801 and genm0701.. contemp bioethics

eek need wam boosters badly!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
GENM0701 is a pretty easy - Medium Gen Ed.

Assessment consists of:

2 essays each worth 30% = 60% total
Discussion Posts 20% (There are 12-13 modules in which you need to read the relevant section of the textbook, and answer the module questions (agreeing/disagreeing with other student's replies + reasons will give you extra marks in the discussion post %)
Group Essay 20% (Focused on a bioethics topic your group chooses out of a possible 2 choices)

The hardest marks to get are usually the 2 essays. Make sure you reference em properly, and provide good criticism, and don't aim for those 'philosophist views'. Finding relevant textbooks in the library, and borrowing their ideas (REFERENCE THEM!) is the key ;)

sunny

meh.
HSC
When I did it it was reading a sci fi novel and watching a sci fi movie and writing a review/diary on it with your thoughts etc. And there was this small research paper...nothing too intense.

Rekkusu

HSC
Though Sunjet, it looks like you're a BCom and B Eco student. If that's the case, you're exempt from doing the Gen Eds.

In a way, you're missing out on free HDs for 12 UOC though.

billchat

HSC
N/A
Has anyone done GENS1004 Science and the Cinema? Are the assessments easy?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
All the assessment information for GENS1004 can be found on www.chem.unsw.edu.au

Apparently you watch a movie each day and do a group presentation at the end.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Though Sunjet, it looks like you're a BCom and B Eco student. If that's the case, you're exempt from doing the Gen Eds.

In a way, you're missing out on free HDs for 12 UOC though.
I don't believe that applies if both degrees come under the same faculty.

Haku

I did 2 Psyc courses in my first year Psyc 1A and 1B.

So does one of them automatically count towards a gened, or do i need to get approval. As they are Science courses would i be able to take the gened:

HIV and Other Unconquered Infections - GENS6033

as that sounds like a science course.

Rekkusu

HSC
:eek: thanks for the correction!

Always good to be sure.

You must obtain approval from your faculty's student centre. And not all courses can be counted as 6 UOC Gen Eds. I think its primarily Language courses.

HIV is under the Science Faculty.

hero.

HSC
N/A
What happened to some of the GENEDS, a lot of the ones I wanted to do are not offered this year.

drmix

HSC
N/A
Cancelled? they dont have a winter session nemore too

hero.

HSC
N/A
drmix said:
Cancelled? they dont have a winter session nemore too
And I wanted to do that GENED where it deals with aliens

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
Rekkusu said:
GENM0701 is a pretty easy - Medium Gen Ed.

Assessment consists of:

2 essays each worth 30% = 60% total
Discussion Posts 20% (There are 12-13 modules in which you need to read the relevant section of the textbook, and answer the module questions (agreeing/disagreeing with other student's replies + reasons will give you extra marks in the discussion post %)
Group Essay 20% (Focused on a bioethics topic your group chooses out of a possible 2 choices)

The hardest marks to get are usually the 2 essays. Make sure you reference em properly, and provide good criticism, and don't aim for those 'philosophist views'. Finding relevant textbooks in the library, and borrowing their ideas (REFERENCE THEM!) is the key ;)
Oh excellent! Thanks for that! I'm doing
'Brave New World' and 'Contemporary Bioethics'.... one of my friends did BNW, he said it was the easiest thing he's ever had to do at uni so far!

fright

HSC
N/A
Would you be allowed to do all 12 UOC of Gen Eds in one summer session? For example, could I complete them all during the 2009 summer session, rather than do them during the 2 main sessions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)