• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Maths and Standard English (1 Viewer)

bob fossil

HSC
What about the people that did not pay any attention to maths from year 7-10. Would they be good at 2U? Only the nerds at my school payed attention from years 7-10, it was just a bludge for everyone else. So now we just do general maths to get the basic skills for life.
If you just winged your way through year 7 to 10 you will struggle with 2 unit maths in year 11 if you maintain the same attitudes. You would have to do a lot of extra work to bring yourself to the recomended standard as well.

Anything is posible if you set your mind to it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What about the people that did not pay any attention to maths from year 7-10. Would they be good at 2U? Only the nerds at my school payed attention from years 7-10, it was just a bludge for everyone else. So now we just do general maths to get the basic skills for life.
General Maths is a joke of a subject - and your so-called 'basic skills' aren't skills at all. Consider yourself as educated mathswise as an Elementary School Graduate in America or a Junior High person in Europe.

Mathematics is the absolute base for University.

kyokaku92

HSC
Wow! What ignorant people on this forum!! As possessionless stated, you need a bit of intelligence to be able to do ext maths. Do all of you think maths is an absolute requirement for uni (highly doubt for law, business etc.etc)? Do you all think general people are dumb? Do you think you are more superior to the rest of the state because you do 4U?

Using excuses such as yr 7-10 maths and scaling is stupid because not everyone understands the concepts behind factorisation, algebra, trig and geometry. If the person decides general is suitable for them and they have no interest in engineering or science or medicine and know they can score high marks (90+%) as opposed to scraping passes in 2U or higher. I have admitted, I happened to find yr 7-10 maths enjoyable and do-able and thought that yr 11 3U would be suitable for me. I only do 2U because I know I can score high marks compared to wasting time struggling with ext and getting low marks.

I think maths in yr 11/12 is too fast paced for every one. A lot of new concepts such as calculus, induction, differentiation/integration, calculus and physical world are quickly introduced to students and are expected to understand and learn the formulae and concepts. Not everyone can catch up at such a pace. My school used Cambridge and we were racing through at least 2-3 exercises and concepts every double period.

vantastic

HSC
i found that advanced english required me to really THINK about texts, not just parrot whatever the teacher was saying. you have to analyse really in depth to gain the good marks, but in a way tht is succinct, concise yet written at an advanced and intellectual standard.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
When did I call you dumb? I was just asking a question.

No you're wrong, I do standard english becasuse I don't have the time to write an essay every second day while studying for 4 unit maths.

Bring a little more insight before you jump to conclusions next time.

I could tutor you to a pass mark in 3 unit maths.
I don't write essays every 2nd day and I do Extension 1 English. And I do 4U Maths. Your argument is invalid. Also I winged Year 7-10 in Maths and did no work at all. I somehow managed to get up to speed with the old work + cover concepts such as Calculus etc. It's very doable, you just have to work.

kt32

HSC
General Maths is a joke of a subject - and your so-called 'basic skills' aren't skills at all. Consider yourself as educated mathswise as an Elementary School Graduate in America or a Junior High person in Europe.

Mathematics is the absolute base for University.

this guy is a ledgend :) they arent even basic skills, i agree with shadow dude :)

kt32

HSC
Wow! What ignorant people on this forum!! As possessionless stated, you need a bit of intelligence to be able to do ext maths. Do all of you think maths is an absolute requirement for uni (highly doubt for law, business etc.etc)? Do you all think general people are dumb? Do you think you are more superior to the rest of the state because you do 4U?

Using excuses such as yr 7-10 maths and scaling is stupid because not everyone understands the concepts behind factorisation, algebra, trig and geometry. If the person decides general is suitable for them and they have no interest in engineering or science or medicine and know they can score high marks (90+%) as opposed to scraping passes in 2U or higher. I have admitted, I happened to find yr 7-10 maths enjoyable and do-able and thought that yr 11 3U would be suitable for me. I only do 2U because I know I can score high marks compared to wasting time struggling with ext and getting low marks.

I think maths in yr 11/12 is too fast paced for every one. A lot of new concepts such as calculus, induction, differentiation/integration, calculus and physical world are quickly introduced to students and are expected to understand and learn the formulae and concepts. Not everyone can catch up at such a pace. My school used Cambridge and we were racing through at least 2-3 exercises and concepts every double period.
no one even said they were better or superior and have a look at MOST courses like someone said and yeah mathematics is required, stop making assumptions about the people that comment on the forum, no one has ever even mentioned they were better and no one said people who did general were dumb they only ever said it was a shit subject which says nothing about the people who do it

Last edited:

kyokaku92

HSC
no one even said they were better or superior and have a look at MOST courses like someone said and yeah mathematics is required, stop making assumptions about the people that comment on the forum, no one has ever even mentioned they were better and no one said people who did general were dumb they only ever said it was a shit subject which says nothing about the people who do it
Obviously, you haven't understood what my debate with bob fossil was. He was suggesting that 3U maths is do-able for everyone. I am amazed at the amount of arrogance here. Unfortunately, not everyone has that mathematical ability- even I'd love to do 4U but I know realistically I would be wasting my time. I do not believe general is a "shit" subject as suggested (Scaling is not a valid statement). If it was that bad, then why do many people still fail general (even my school which is ranked 60 something). General are for those who don't want to do a maths-requisite course at uni like law, arts and journalism but just want to complete the course for use in everyday applications or are unable to understand the concepts of 2U or higher (I do not know the syllabus- but that is the general idea). I stand by my statement that not every course requires maths; only engineering (3U), science, actuarial (3U) and finance (ecos, accounting) require some competance at 2U maths while the rest I "gravely" doubt (I'll check the UAC guide)

johnosm

HSC
Some just dont understand how "dumb" students can be. Im sure over 50% of the students here on BoS are high achievers.

HSC
When did I call you dumb? I was just asking a question.

No you're wrong, I do standard english becasuse I don't have the time to write an essay every second day while studying for 4 unit maths.

Bring a little more insight before you jump to conclusions next time.

I could tutor you to a pass mark in 3 unit maths.
ummm we didnt write essays every second day. and I was one of the highest in advanced english.
and no thanks I don't need your tutition, my mums a maths teacher!

hey I'm not sure if It's like this at other schools but at my school if you didnt do stage 5.3 (advanced) in year 9 and 10 maths, they don't really allow you to do 2u maths or higher. You have to take some workshop thing....are all schools like this?

bob fossil

HSC
ummm we didnt write essays every second day. and I was one of the highest in advanced english.
and no thanks I don't need your tutition, my mums a maths teacher!

hey I'm not sure if It's like this at other schools but at my school if you didnt do stage 5.3 (advanced) in year 9 and 10 maths, they don't really allow you to do 2u maths or higher. You have to take some workshop thing....are all schools like this?

Thats how it is at my school.

At my school if you were in the top few in 5.2 you got into MX1. About 30 people dropped out though in the first year.

waller

HSC
Obviously, you haven't understood what my debate with bob fossil was. He was suggesting that 3U maths is do-able for everyone. I am amazed at the amount of arrogance here. Unfortunately, not everyone has that mathematical ability- even I'd love to do 4U but I know realistically I would be wasting my time. I do not believe general is a "shit" subject as suggested (Scaling is not a valid statement). If it was that bad, then why do many people still fail general (even my school which is ranked 60 something). General are for those who don't want to do a maths-requisite course at uni like law, arts and journalism but just want to complete the course for use in everyday applications or are unable to understand the concepts of 2U or higher (I do not know the syllabus- but that is the general idea). I stand by my statement that not every course requires maths; only engineering (3U), science, actuarial (3U) and finance (ecos, accounting) require some competance at 2U maths while the rest I "gravely" doubt (I'll check the UAC guide)

umm

He's not suggesting that anyone could just sit down at a 3U math exam and pass.. Just that if you were a massive dropkick in yr7-10 and didn't really do maths at all, if you for some reason had a revolutionary change of mind and decided to really focus (pay attention in class, ask questions, finish work, do extra work etc..) most people could do pretty well in 3U. I kinda agree with him.

The reality is, however, that to do that will require a lot of time if you simply aren't a natural at maths - time that most people can't really balance between others subjects - so they opt to just do a lighter level of maths. Which is fine, just he's saying that the 3U course isn't insanely hard and you don't necessarily have to be a natural to do it (sure helps though).

Yeah, the very very high majority of kids at my school do General - which is fine, because not many are planning uni and the ones at are I doubt will do eng/science/finance.

bob fossil

HSC
umm

He's not suggesting that anyone could just sit down at a 3U math exam and pass.. Just that if you were a massive dropkick in yr7-10 and didn't really do maths at all, if you for some reason had a revolutionary change of mind and decided to really focus (pay attention in class, ask questions, finish work, do extra work etc..) most people could do pretty well in 3U. I kinda agree with him.

The reality is, however, that to do that will require a lot of time if you simply aren't a natural at maths - time that most people can't really balance between others subjects - so they opt to just do a lighter level of maths. Which is fine, just he's saying that the 3U course isn't insanely hard and you don't necessarily have to be a natural to do it (sure helps though).

Yeah, the very very high majority of kids at my school do General - which is fine, because not many are planning uni and the ones at are I doubt will do eng/science/finance.

Finally someone is making some sense lol

No i don't mean anyone can just rock up and nail a 3 unit exam.

But you could be an absolute jack of clubs in 7-10 and still pass 3 unit maths hsc exam, if you were willing to put the work in. It is not imposible. THis may never happen so many teachers wont agree but if someone had the motivation they could do it.

kyokaku92

HSC
umm

True, you cannot expect to do well in 3U if you bludged yr 7-10, however ext maths is working beyond the standard of 2U. You must be able to reason, prove, evaluate, solve etc etc harder applications/equations of 2U and keeping up with 2U maths as well. The concepts of 3U tend to be more difficult than 2U and require more analytical thinking and you have to learn the formulae and the topics at a very quick pace which many students can fall behind because they don't understand or are slow at grasping the concepts. For a 1 unit subject, I don't think it is worth that amount of work. For even a good mark in 3U would be 50%. Unfortunately 30% of the HSC comes from yr 11 so you have to be good at memorising your formulae. As I have said, not everyone is capable of even doing 2U maths so naturally they go to general, same with english although I cannot compare standard/advanced because of different texts and none of my mates do standard. For someone like me who really enjoyed yr 7-10 maths and got As, I found this very difficult. I may be generalising but the majority of people as you said, "bludged yr 7-10 but decided to work in 3U" only do the course for the scaling benefits.

Edit: I forgot to mention once you learn the formulae, you must know when to apply it or you will be screwed in an exam

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)