General Maths/Mathematics (1 Viewer)

HSC
lyounamu said:
what do you mean by theory?
theoretical

like engineering studies which is theory..and not a practical subject like maths

Geez.. no need to snap. I'm not going to name any for the purpose that you can always link something to another in maths and will end up being extremely relevant to the next topic. Obviously you don't see where I'm coming from....

Our maths coordinator sat us all down and spoke to us about it and was explaining the topics and recommendations in general for the type of person you are.... and what the topics involve. If you ask your teacher they will explain it to you better... I am trying to say that in comparison to general Mathematics (2u) is more theoretical and less applicable BECAUSE general is all probabilty and statistics etc.
mathematics is practical.

you learn theory. then apply it.

and what you said in the first paragraph is part of what im saying

end of story.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
haha

Well.

You learn things, and apply it in questions

however, I dont use parabolas, hyperbolas, etc, in real life.

depends on the topic

EDIT: my teacher said that some topics arent useful in real life for maths, but we do them just for testing our ability in different situations. e.g. who's gonna use imaginary numbers in real life? We learn, for teachers to test our ability to accept a given situation

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Aquawhite said:
I am trying to say that in comparison to general Mathematics (2u) is more theoretical and less applicable BECAUSE general is all probabilty and statistics etc.
I did 2U for prelim and swapped to general at the start of year twelve. I think (from personal experiece) the more correct way of putting what you're trying to explain is that 2U maths is more of an ABSTRACT course.. whereas General is a material course, as it covers mathematics in an every-day, 'real' context.

Cheers.. better go study! :read:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I hate to burst your bubble, but General maths has lots of weird, useless crap in it that absolutely nobody uses in real life.

Median regression lines, for example.

Nobody uses them. Not even statisticians. They are just some wild and wacky thing dreamed up to keep school kiddies occupied. Never the less, they are in the Gen Maths syllabus!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
wixxy2348 said:
I did 2U for prelim and swapped to general at the start of year twelve. I think (from personal experiece) the more correct way of putting what you're trying to explain is that 2U maths is more of an ABSTRACT course.. whereas General is a material course, as it covers mathematics in an every-day, 'real' context.

Yea kinda what i'm trying to say. that is a better way of putting it.

HSC
wixxy2348 said:

if aqua is defining practical that way..then i cant really say anything coz i have no idea..my school doesnt offer general maths..
but in some posts you were referring to theoretical and practical maths which most people would take as literally what they mean..

expression:rolleyes:

justxlouise

HSC
General maths is basically year9 and 10 all over again, that's how simple it is. The scaling or whatever gets capped at 90 so it's not that good. Do 2u maths instead or something if you've been topping it. Even better, why don't you do maths extension 1? haha

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
justxlouise said:
General maths is basically year9 and 10 all over again, that's how simple it is. The scaling or whatever gets capped at 90 so it's not that good. Do 2u maths instead or something if you've been topping it. Even better, why don't you do maths extension 1? haha
Yeah I had a looked at some of the past papers and it literally looked like that topic we did back in year 9 called comsumer arithmetic.
I wouldnt even attempt Ext 1.:cool:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
justxlouise said:
No, it's not. If it's as easy as that, all the maths-hopeless would gather up to General maths and easily rip 100%.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
justxlouise said:
Lol. Do you know anything about scaling? General is NOT capped at 90, so it is possible to get a band 6 in general, and in fact is better to get a band 6 in general than a shitty mark in 2u.

To OP, like a lot of people on here I think you should do mathematics. You shouldnt pass up your opportunity to do 2u mathematics, because from what I have gathered you are okay at it (ie you are in the top class), and once you get to year 11 and 12 and start getting more homework and putting in more effort, etc, you have the potential to outdo your expectations.

And if all else fails, you can drop down to general.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Lol. Do you know anything about scaling? General is NOT capped at 90, so it is possible to get a band 6 in general, and in fact is better to get a band 6 in general than a shitty mark in 2u.

To OP, like a lot of people on here I think you should do mathematics. You shouldnt pass up your opportunity to do 2u mathematics, because from what I have gathered you are okay at it (ie you are in the top class), and once you get to year 11 and 12 and start getting more homework and putting in more effort, etc, you have the potential to outdo your expectations.

It is true that General Mathematics is capped at 90 scaled mark. It is possible to get Band 6 in it but it will be scaled down quite atrociously. But you are right, it is better to get Band 6 in General Mathematics than some random shitty mark in 2 Unit Mathematics.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
It is true that General Mathematics is capped at 90 scaled mark. It is possible to get Band 6 in it but it will be scaled down quite atrociously. But you are right, it is better to get Band 6 in General Mathematics than some random shitty mark in 2 Unit Mathematics.
Are you sure? My brother did general maths in 2006 and got 92 or 93 in it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Are you sure? My brother did general maths in 2006 and got 92 or 93 in it.
Yes. What your brother got is an aligned mark, not scaled mark. In HSC Result paper, only marks they show are aligned marks. They never show scaled marks. Scaled marks are determined by UAC.

The top mark in General mathematics was 98 as in aligned mark. The top scaled mark was 90.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yes. What your brother got is an aligned mark, not scaled mark. In HSC Result paper, only marks they show are aligned marks. They never show scaled marks. Scaled marks are determined by UAC.

The top mark in General mathematics was 98 as in aligned mark. The top scaled mark was 90.
Okay, I understand what you mean. 'Scaled' and 'aligned' get used so interchangeably on here, I thought jutxlouise was talking about aligned marks :p

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
midifile said:

Thanks :) My mum keeps telling me im defeating myself before I have even done it and I have the ability to do mathematics it just comes down to whether I want to put in the effort.
Stupid maths teacher:hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)