General Thoughts - Biology (1 Viewer)

boredosaccount

HSC
hey guys, r u sure 7 is a, cos i thought it was b, isn't cell differentiation one of em

which processes results in genetic variation of offspring?
a) dna mutation and gamete formation or
b)cell differentiation and gamete formation

HSC
boredosaccount said:
hey guys, r u sure 7 is a, cos i thought it was b, isn't cell differentiation one of em

cell differentiation is a means of maintaining health. DNA is the genetic blueprint of the organism, thus a mutation will cause them to be different to the parent.

B

bekmay

boredosaccount said:

cell differentiation has nothing to do with genetic variation, it occurs AFTER reproduction when the cells are forming into different cells. i.e "hmm i will be a lung cell," and "ooh i'm going to be a muscle cell".
answer=A, dna mutation (obviously causes change) and gamete formation (random segregation, independent assortment).

boredosaccount

HSC
awwww, damn, if ur so smart @routlette what did u get for multiple chice and thanks for clearing that up

HSC
boredosaccount said:
awwww, damn, if ur so smart @routlette what did u get for multiple chice and thanks for clearing that up
haha... im not that smart, i screwed up a few short answers/an option question. but for multi-choice i got 15 (as did quite a few others on the thread). you're welcome :)

Bourne05

HSC
I don't know about anyone else but I found the communication option questions challenging. Apart from that the exam wasn't bad.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
dolbinau said:
I know what you mean, like, we couldn't really apply much knowledge.
What if you had addisons disease, you need bio

tulZzz

HSC
I NOE i got 14/15 in mutilple choice compared aqnd ask teachers...stupid question6 made me think too much!

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
By the looks of it I think I screwed up multiple choice as well.

Well there goes my uai down the drain.

nymphae

HSC
Uni Grad
My hand froze up in the middle of the core 8 marker. I got two lines in, and it turned into a claw and refused to write coherent English [which concerns me, because my last 3 exams are all my big essay-type subjects, or just my big "write lots" courses. Urgh.]. Eventually, I forced it out, and praised the Lord that I'd done everything else before tackling that 8 marker.

Does anyone do communication here? What did you think of the option?

The drawing of the ear was pretty stupid, and that darn insect question...

rusty91

HSC
The exam was bloody easy
i realised i got 14/15 for multiple choice
the 8 marker was the easiest where i talked about MHC markers and T and B cells and the antigen-antibody site. Loved it.
The graph question in terms of the prediction and the experiment question i would have stuffed up the most
In communication, what the hell was with the 6 marker, i just talked about the reliability and accuracy of the source and where the most reliable information would be taken from but pretty much everything else was especially the diagram of the external, middle and outer ear and the energy changes which consisted of sound-mechanical and then electrchemical.
Loved the exam. Hoping for a band 5-6. !!!!!
Modern History's next. crap

nymphae

HSC
Uni Grad
The communication 6-marker was... odd. We talked about it with my teacher afterwards, and all he could say was: "secondary sources. research. dissection. throw sound at it." Which is what I wrote, so... whatevs.

The core 8 marker, and you just talked about the immune response? Erm... you related it to why it benefits society and the blood bank and banking techniques, yes?

I tried to talk about points linking to each of the headings in the table, so I talked about understanding the spread of disease and disease prevention, leading to improved techniques for removal and blood scanning to reduce societal risk of infection, as well as needs for different blood products and understanding the nature of blood, which led to developing techniques to increase the shelf life of blood.

I've heard from some of my friends that they talked about artificial blood as well, but technically the question didn't relate to it, so...

I think I got 15/15 for the multiple choice [depending on whether everyone stops arguing over the answer to question 6 or not]. Which makes me ecstatically happy, because our reading time ended at 9.33, and I finished the multiple choice by 9.35. It was surprisingly easier than I was expecting.

All in all, though, I thought it was a fairly decent paper. Some of the holistic questions sucked, and the fact that there were so. bloody. many was annoying, but it could have been much, much worse...

shazarna

HSC
Re: how did you go?

russianROULETTE said:
hey, do you do your exams overseas? just curious because you seem to be asking a lot about the exam questions and not saying much about what you wrote. and that's the reason we can't take our exam papers out, overseas people doing the exam later. just making sure you're not a cheat :p
we actually walk into our exams an hour and a half before you guys walk out so cheating is completely avoided, or we're in total lock down so we can't contact anyone who has sat the paper and left early.

shazarna

HSC

Lordie said:
One was the sieve cell - what was the further away thing? I didn't get that...I also think, two features, for 1 mark? Maybe they'll give 1 mark if you get 1/2 correct...as they can't give half marks!
the first one (the thing that had holes in it and stringy stuff coming off it) was a seive element.
the second one was a companion cell.

Kelly47

HSC

shazarna said:
the first one (the thing that had holes in it and stringy stuff coming off it) was a seive element.
the second one was a companion cell.
Ergh I think I got them mixed around the wrong way. Damnit.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
nymphae said:
I tried to talk about points linking to each of the headings in the table, so I talked about understanding the spread of disease and disease prevention, leading to improved techniques for removal and blood scanning to reduce societal risk of infection, as well as needs for different blood products and understanding the nature of blood, which led to developing techniques to increase the shelf life of blood.

same here :D

hopefully i get 7-8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)