General Thoughts: Business Studies (1 Viewer)

pricklygoo

HSC
man your not that good at business. that was a pretty easy report, i did everything you said plus more. BUT YEAH YOU WILL GET A GOOD MARK.

The only hard thing was the structure of the essay. how did everybody structure it?

Good luck with english

I said the impact would be that their objective of increasing reputation would be achieved. It doesn't really matter, there isn't a right or wrong answer as such, as long as you justify is properly.

The report had 3 sections ~

1. 2 social responsibilities [this is from Topic 1: I used Quality of working life, Managing cultural diversity], applying it to the scenario was fairly straight-forward.

2. 1 global marketing strategy, with a focus on differentiation in Asia [This has elements from Topic 3 and Topic 5: You need to consider both the development of marketing strategies (Differentiation/Segmentation, Produce, Price, Promotion, Place, Environmental Effects on Distribution) and the marketing aspect of managing global business (Research of market, Global branding, Standardisation/Differentiation)] and take into account the fact that they are expanding to Asia, a foreign continent with consumers who may have different cosmetic needs to Australians. This means you would place a heavy emphasis on the research of market, and would be using more differentiation of products than standardisation since the business is not very big all over the world - Global branding probably isn't relevent, at least not as a primary focus.

3. 2 key influences on employment relations [From Topic 4, straight from the syllabus: I used social influences and economic influences], like the first section applying this to the scenario isn't very difficult.

driaxx

HSC
Not sure how the first one has anything to do with illegal dumping...

For differentiation I used product/mainly packaging... Put alil bit on market research. Mentioned global branding.

For the last one I done social and economic influences... If I'm not mistaken, other 2 options were new organisational behavioral, or legal (govt could be tied in I guess...) - not union
damn stuffed that up then...I tied in illegal dumping being bad for the environment of other countries.. eugh i dunno complete BS

and BS for the last part too..

Now I can just hope for my marks to be scaled up :( failed epically I didn't expect that

gutzeit

HSC
This means you would place a heavy emphasis on the research of market, and would be using more differentiation of products than standardisation since the business is not very big all over the world - Global branding probably isn't relevent, at least not as a primary focus.
Nah mate - you're forgetting the business' objective of "Achieve an appropriate level of differentiation of its stores in Asia" has huge branding connotations!

Differentiation of stores; I interpreted this as meaning appearing different to competitors' stores. This is a superficial difference in my mind, meaning positioning and branding! Yes market research and differentiation of products is important, but if you want to stand out to consumers, branding is the way to go.

Think Pepsi and Coke. Sure they can both try and make their products different (e.g. 'New' Coke that failed in America), but in the end they serve the same purpose (just as do cosmetics), hence it's the branding and positioning that define their differentiation.

And haha at BOS - they're still pre 2006 when the Australian Stock Exchange ceased to exist! (It merged with the Sydney Futures Exchange to form the Australian Securities Exchange).

nimssyk

Captn
HSC
I cannot actually believe that was the exam. Such a bad exam.

The extended responses were just crap.

And they practically ignored Fin Mgmt and Global business.

What a joke.

nimssyk

Captn
HSC
And haha at BOS - they're still pre 2006 when the Australian Stock Exchange ceased to exist! (It merged with the Sydney Futures Exchange to form the Australian Securities Exchange).
lol i know..i circled it and was tempted to write "securities lol"...but i didnt...MLIA

hairspray

HSC
I do not do business but i applaud you guys...you actually discuss the entire paper online .

I cant bare to discuss a single question of any paper after the exam...!
And i applaud you for going onto a forum about a discussion on a subject that you don't do =)

La Bomba

HSC
i assume business may actualy scale a bit higher this year if u do well :D

gutzeit

HSC
I cannot actually believe that was the exam. Such a bad exam.

The extended responses were just crap.

And they practically ignored Fin Mgmt and Global business.

What a joke.
Do you mean you found it hard or you thought it wasn't an accurate portrayal of the content?

I loved the exam :) Had all the little stupid things I had learnt, and it didn't have all the major ideas that I largely ignored.

Freshjiver

HSC
aaaaaah

oiiii in the business report,
the second thing it asked you to do was something like:

"recommend a global marketing strategy that will increase differentiation in asia".

i did a marketing mix and that and focused on how the product can be differentiated.

i get out of the exam and everyone said that they did like global branding, standardisation / differentiation and research of markets.

which one was it ?!!?!

BUSINESSKING

HSC
Nah mate - you're forgetting the business' objective of "Achieve an appropriate level of differentiation of its stores in Asia" has huge branding connotations!

Differentiation of stores; I interpreted this as meaning appearing different to competitors' stores. This is a superficial difference in my mind, meaning positioning and branding! Yes market research and differentiation of products is important, but if you want to stand out to consumers, branding is the way to go.

Think Pepsi and Coke. Sure they can both try and make their products different (e.g. 'New' Coke that failed in America), but in the end they serve the same purpose (just as do cosmetics), hence it's the branding and positioning that define their differentiation.

Neanderthal, global branding and branding are two very different things - go look up the definitions. Branding is from Topic 3 and global branding is from Topic 5, you needed to use both.

gutzeit

HSC
Neanderthal, global branding and branding are two very different things - go look up the definitions. Branding is from Topic 3 and global branding is from Topic 5, you needed to use both.
Whatever you say.

Tell me your initials, so I can look for them in the list of state rankings for business.

When I don't see them and I see my mate BW and myself AM up there... ok maybe not me, but when I see BW, we'll all have a laugh at you, businesspawn.

.Joe.

j.man
HSC
That exam was the hardest business studies exam I've done. I did all the past HSC papers and thought this was the hardest. The CSSA Trial was so much easier!!:jaw:

What was with the no financial ratios in the short answers!?! and there was SO much on ER in that exam!:chainsaw:

I WAS hoping for a band 6, but i really don't think I got one

Eddykungfu

HSC
Global branding is possible but generally more aligned for a standardised approach vs a differentiated approach, unless the company is very large; you still need to mention it though

Pretty easy test, I wrote 14 for the report and 12 for extended response (Q28), expecting 98-100 raw, though as low as 96 is possible I guess... Less than that and I'll probably kill myself.

Worship me, peons.
I think you are way arrogant and that you are getting way too big for your bridges....

born2plz

HSC
(q27 omg... failed..
did anyone think it was werid they didn't ask us any finaicial ratios in the short answers?)

reply to taht.
I was like fuking recheking my paperr, i was like wheres the revenue statementt. the onlyy ratio question was in multiple choice for

net profit ratio, gross profit ratio and Expense ratio..
got that right! i think..

OMFG- i did my business report only 4 pages as time allowed me in the Last 7 minutes. i worte 2 booklest worth for the last question, the questionwas so confusing, i didnt know how to relate financial planning with customer types? i was WTF. but i worte alot and most of it i did from my Case study NRL.

ASX? was like WTF? i worte Equity raised easily form shareholders but diusadvantage is taht if the money gets lost, shareholders can take youre business assests and file a law suit?
correctt??

I only did one strtegy for Social resp in bsuness rep- ecological sutainability(animal testing and no illgal dumpings like body shop) and mention quality of Working life.

mentioned reseach of markets, frnahcising and licencing(whihc was wrong i think).

yehh Last Q was prety much ACE.

80 pluss i spose!!

BUSINESSKING

HSC
They are different; that is a fact.

Also note that I never said not to say branding - I mentioned branding in some depth, when discussing the product section of developing market strategies.

You needed to recommend a full global marketing strategy - that would include market segmentation/product differentiation, product, price, promotion, place, environmental effects on distribution, research of market, global branding and standardisation/differentiation, going into reasonable depth for all of them.

tipsynaruto

HSC
N/A
Uah! MC was good. Not too bad. The short answers were also relatively decent. Report was weird as there wasn't overly too much to write and 27 and 28 was FUBAR. I was wondering where all the global shit went...

gutzeit

HSC
I think you are way arrogant and that you are getting way too big for your bridges....
(Y)
I agree with you.

Ironically nobody would hire him in the business world. And nobody would ever want to work for him either.

or to put it in terms appeasing to him

"He doesn't possess the skills of management (particularly the people skills, flexibility and high ethical and personal standards) required to succeed in the dynamic business environment."

Eddykungfu

HSC
I think the BOS were subtly trying to get the candidature to use their own knowledge of the business environment to answer some questions.

Like in the Business Report, when they asked for TWO ey influencse on employment relations etc....

If you do Legal influences, you could talk about how Fair Work Act is replacing work choice, as it becomes phased out at the end of 2009.
Also in the stimulus it states the business objectives are from 2010 - 2012

But Idno.. We'll see

Edit to BUSINESSKING.: I was referring to bridges, since they can't support your MASSIVE Ego.. But meh, you are just an internet troll.
Look at your display name... BUSINESSKING.

Pfft.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)