General Thoughts - Chemistry (1 Viewer)

dietjelly

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Some people (not here on BoS) found the exam kind of difficult too.
it wasn't like i didn't know my work, there were more skills questions than theory. the top 3 in my class, including myself, all found it hard

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dietjelly said:
it wasn't like i didn't know my work, there were more skills questions than theory. the top 3 in my class, including myself, all found it hard
Because BoS doesn't want too many people to only rote learn.
So much for me coming 3rd in my Chemistry class just to get pwned with silly mistakes.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
So much for me coming 3rd in my Chemistry class just to get pwned with silly mistakes.
Ditto.

dietjelly

HSC
Forbidden. said:
same with me - murphy's law i guess

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
ugly exam , didnt have time to cheak over everything properly , hopfully should get all theory correct coz i didnt cheak my calculations a 2nd time and most of them were just guessed answers

lindulgence

HSC
i found the theory part alrite along with the mult choices but i dont know felt like there was to much calulations to do
honestly i was expectin ALOT more theory then the cal like on biomass and all that and CFCS the dangers in our world and how it has impacted upon us all that
i didnt enjoy that exam and the ppl ive talked to the exam quite hard and i did to. heard that last yr exam was much worse then ours and they got scaled up because of that lol

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
dietjelly said:
i thought last years was a million times better
you cant be serious.......
omg.... last years calculations were a ripper.. absolutley killers....

This years. was very good, very nice.. VERY DIFFERENT which i found quite interesting.

BY THE WAY: did you guys realise one thing... a "ppm" (parts per million) question has NEVER EVER EVER been asked in HSC exams. yet they asked 2 this year.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
wrxsti said:
you cant be serious.......
omg.... last years calculations were a ripper.. absolutley killers....

This years. was very good, very nice.. VERY DIFFERENT which i found quite interesting.

BY THE WAY: did you guys realise one thing... a "ppm" (parts per million) question has NEVER EVER EVER been asked in HSC exams. yet they asked 2 this year.
ppm better be mg.L-1 because the adviser on the advice line said so.

cyclops100

HSC
hi all, i dont usually use these things but im curious - there was a question about a solution that when an acid was added the ph didnt change, im assuming this was a buffer solution - yes/no?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
cyclops100 said:
hi all, i dont usually use these things but im curious - there was a question about a solution that when an acid was added the ph didnt change, im assuming this was a buffer solution - yes/no?
Are you talking about that 5-mark NaHCO3 question ?
It was a buffer so it resisted small changes in pH but the question asked you to assess or evaluate its effectiveness I think.

Kmara2nv

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Are you talking about that 5-mark NaHCO3 question ?
It was a buffer so it resisted small changes in pH but the question asked you to assess or evaluate its effectiveness I think.
i talked abotu amphiprotic coz it anted as a neutralization thing ma bob so i evalutted saying it works in all cases whether its a acid spill or a basic spill but thats all that came to ma minddd so i dont noo

NJMORTIMER

Alchemist
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Are you sure? I think it's not a buffer because it is not in the presence of a salt of it's conjugate base. All I talked about was it being amphiprotic and being a weak acid so it can safely be used in excess to clean up spills of unknown acidity/basicity...

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I think it was pretty good, my classmates weren't too impressed, they had mental blocks trying to come up with the names of Galvani, Davy, Volta, etc., I believe it was in the shipwrecks option.

For the big shipwrecks question I just said iron, steel and sacrificial anodes like zinc and magnesium. That question was the worst one in the exam - so vague and un-chemical.

I think I forgot to mention water in the ester question, I seriously can't remember anything on esters.

I also don't think I got the lead-acid equation correct :(

I have no idea about ppm. Completely unprepared for it. I did guess it was mg.L-1 though as that was the closest thing I could think of.

NaHCO3 is amphiprotic, that's what I wrote. Didn't think to write buffer but amphiprotic hopefully gets more marks ;)

tanguyen

HSC
NJMORTIMER said:
Are you sure? I think it's not a buffer because it is not in the presence of a salt of it's conjugate base. All I talked about was it being amphiprotic and being a weak acid so it can safely be used in excess to clean up spills of unknown acidity/basicity...
That's exactly what I did, but I had no clue what to write about when they said "neutralising chemical spills "in the environment."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)