HSC
Uni Grad
How'd you find the exam? Share your thoughts here

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
It was easier than expected ;)

Romanticism had a very open question per se:

The Creative was xcellent; fits my creative perfectly!

Texts and Ways of Thinking

Elective 2: Romanticism

Questions were:

9. In Romanticism, composers not only transform human experience through imagination but also manipulate textual forms and features in response to their times.

Evaluate this statement with reference to TWO prescribed texts AND texts of your own choosing.

10. Compose a piece of original imaginative writing using the following statement as the start of a character's reflection on an important event in his or her life.

Nature was my joy; trouble brought me understanding.

In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of Romanticism.

Last edited:
HSC
i thought romanticism was good, but i though the analytical question was quite multi-faceted

acemusic415

HSC
I managed to mold both my responses to the question. It was pretty good I reckon - it wasn't overtly bad or extreme. Though I did Crime Writing and had to change my protagonist into a god-cop-bad-cop to fit the stimuli. With the essay I did a sitting on the fence response both agreeing and disagreeing to the question.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
Essay question was great for Romanticism, managed to get out 8 pages with 4 texts and focused on nature/imagination and the human experience. Also contrasted Wuthering Heights with Northanger Abbey to illustrate the manipulation of textual forms and features.

The creative...was okay. I wrote out my planned response, which is already a subtle self reflection and and changing of the protagonist, so I incorporated the quote and hopefully the integration of the question is evident enough :) Got out 8 pages for that as well, which is always nice.

acemusic415

HSC
I did like 27 pages in total. 14 for my short story and 13 for my essay (my writing subsequently got smaller, don't know why). My handwriting felt slower and lazier today - don't know why though.

great ghosts

HSC
holy shit, 27 in total? you're a god. i filled up 3 booklets for each.

thought the creative writing section was really good for romanticism, the quote they gave us for pretty much perfect for what i wrote about. :3

acemusic415

HSC
The strangest thing is that my teacher wanted a change from romanticism cos he thought it was dry as fuck. So we switched from Romanticism to Crime Writing and now I'm eager to learn about it. Yeah, I'm sure that people wrote more than 27 pages... some freaks out there.

BornToHula

HSC
N/A
I did Crime Writing, Elective 2 of Module A and thought it was fine. The essay was fine, the creative gave us a quote and asked us to use it at the beginning of a character's reflection on an important point in their life, but it didn't say it had to be at the start of the piece so I put it in way later.
I think I'm gonna confuse my marker because my crime story was about a guy with a memory problem who witnesses the same crime by the same criminal 17 times and never remembers until the police question him at the end, and by then he feels terrible, and that's what the quote was about "I'm a modern day villain... if only I'd done it differently." So my first booklet is almost exactly repeated in the next booklet XD but everything changed in the last booklets and it all made sense, so I'm hoping it goes alright.

With the essay I found myself paraphrasing scrutiny simply because I hadn't come across the word before in an exam and was worried BOS would think I didn't know what it meant. Overall I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:

ReneeApple

HSC
I thought that test was amazing, and they didn't pull any horrible texts. It fitted everything that I had prepared, though I admittedly had to tweak my story here and there, but it pretty much fitted the idea the question gave us in the first place! :')

I wrote 3 booklets for my story and 5 booklets for my essay.

I did Navigating the Global.

musicana

HSC
Brilliant exam! The questions were fairly universal, with a core focus of the topic (After The Bomb for me). Hmm didn't write much on related texts (is that ok...?), only like a page on each... would've enjoyed more time.
Creative Writing really sparked my imagination - so much potential. However I didn't like how we had to use it as the start. I ended up modifying a prepared response (contrary to my typical self, of panicking and making it up).

Board of Studies played gentle with EE1, although nonetheless demanding.

letoatreides

HSC
For the essay did you need to include techniques, I had only 2 techniques in the whole thing. By how much will this affect my mark?

smeethaj

HSC
27 pages! nice xD
i had 21. so thats 12 for essay 9 for creative.
but we did 'after the bomb' which was very easy imo
the essay question might as well have been "inset preprepared essay"
the creative was pretty need to but the only problem i had with that is that i cant be sure how much of it i was meant to encorporate into my creative. i only used it in part of my creative where as my friend wrote her enitre creative revolving around the quote. hope im not penalised for that.
but yer, otherwise it was gr8!

great ghosts

HSC
I did Crime Writing, Elective 2 of Module A and thought it was fine. The essay was fine, the creative gave us a quote and asked us to use it at the beginning of a character's reflection on an important point in their life, but it didn't say it had to be at the start of the piece so I put it in way later.
I think I'm gonna confuse my marker because my crime story was about a guy with a memory problem who witnesses the same crime by the same criminal 17 times and never remembers until the police question him at the end, and by then he feels terrible, and that's what the quote was about "I'm a modern day villain... if only I'd done it differently." So my first booklet is almost exactly repeated in the next booklet XD but everything changed in the last booklets and it all made sense, so I'm hoping it goes alright.

With the essay I found myself paraphrasing scrutiny simply because I hadn't come across the word before in an exam and was worried BOS would think I didn't know what it meant. Overall I'm pretty happy.
ooh, your story sounds really good. kinda sounds like an x-files/supernatural parallel thing. also, sooo jealous you got to do crime writing. i really wanted that ):

BornToHula

HSC
N/A
ooh, your story sounds really good. kinda sounds like an x-files/supernatural parallel thing. also, sooo jealous you got to do crime writing. i really wanted that ):
Thanks :) It's the same story I used for belonging and Ext 2, except originally it was never a crime story. It was just a dude who plays music around texas and never remembers where he's going or where he's been, and he meets this girl in this bar he keeps visiting and playing in, and never remembers her even though she remembers him, and one day he wakes up in her apartment and that's when he realises he's got a memory problem. Before today I had no exams since Paper 2 so I spent 11 days working out how to make it a crime story, and I'm hoping it paid off.

Stretch21

HSC
Anyone else do Sci-Fi? Thought that both questions were easy (and very generic). Either my teacher prep'd us very well for those kinds of essays, or it was a very good question. Seriously that is pretty much all we focused on for the last year, context, humanity etc.

When a question says that an extract needs to form the opening, I always think that if your story is good enough, then you wont really be penalised if you just weave that statement into the opening of your story. (You can still get full marks if it doesn't form the majority of your story.)

Thanks BOS, thought you were pretty nice to us (Sc-Fi nerds at least) for once.

Sprenger

HSC
the romanticism essay was quite good. i did twelve pages with four texts and it fit almost all of them exactly. I had to tweak my story a bit but 9 pages it turned out alright. pretty happy with that exam

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
Questions for Romanticism were just perfect! Although I hate it when you see a question that you know so much about and it's like "where the fuck do i begin".

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
For the essay did you need to include techniques, I had only 2 techniques in the whole thing. By how much will this affect my mark?
What elective did you do?
Techniques are a crucial part of any essay...You should have at least one per paragraph per text. I had 2-3 per paragraph and I had 8 paragraphs. They are an essential part of your analysis :( How come you only put in 2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)