General Thoughts: English Adv. Paper 2 (Modules) (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your overall thoughts and experiences of the 2006 English Adv Modules exam.

sideshowtim

HSC
no more english...ever again...i can't believe it!! fucking woohoo!!!

i think it was an alright paper, although the questions were pretty specific and hard to write a shit load on. got to 1000 words approx for each essay just about so i'm pretty happy with that, my writing speed has always been my major downfall. but yeah, i think i did okay.

i didn't prepare any essays i just made a ton of notes, and i'm glad i didn't prepare an essay because it would've been hard to prepare something to those questions i think.

Guernica

HSC
I agree about the prepared essay thing.. I'm glad I didn't do that with these questions too.

I also think I went "okay". I didn't write much and was having trouble remembering things and kind of just had a bad morning.. big headache etc.

NO MORE ENGLISH!! Hell yeah.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I agree that the questions were specific, though I wasn't expecting 3 essays, which is a good thing (for me). :D

sideshowtim

HSC
i was really happy it was only 3 essays, i hate doing other text types. they were nice to us in that regard.

Guernica

HSC
Yep, in reading time, i had the biggest grin on my face because they didn't specify text types and also because they didnt specify a speech in module B.

But it was kind of all down hill once I started writing.

pixie poppet

HSC
omg RELIEF!! thank god thats over, my hand looks like 'death' lol ;) didn't put as much into the 3rd essay due to time, but managed to squeeze out 5 pages so thats a relief considering how little time i left myself :) woot woot ENGLISH IS FINALLY OVER :) im hoping my 2nd paper has pulled up my first, as i stuffed up the story due to a panic frenzy XD
hope everyone else went well :)

sideshowtim

HSC
I think it's really hard to compose a well structured essay when you have such little time to do in it. You have no time to think really you've just gotta be writing for 40 minutes.

Tim035

HSC
sideshowtim said:
I think it's really hard to compose a well structured essay when you have such little time to do in it. You have no time to think really you've just gotta be writing for 40 minutes.
Soo true, I have even more respect for the things those people in the exemplar responces managed to come up with in 40 minutes. I found myself most of the time just writing like a nutter the first thing that came to my head in order to just keep within that time limit.

Anyway my deconstruction of the exam:
Module A: Fine a fairly broad question which allowed flexibility in responce
Module B: I found this hard but I have a feeling so will have most of the state so the marking on this may have to compensate for the difficulty of question.
Module C: Same as module A, allowed flexilibility and a good responce.

Overall though I'm mostly glad that I completly finished with thorough conclusions each of my essays, as my greatest fear was just having no conclusion for one of my responces.

guyman82

HSC
hooray, no more english syllabus. i must say i liked that paper that they gave us. it could have been much worse. in fact i'm very surprised there were no imaginative tasks such as speech or dialogue or feature article. ateast for my texts: bnw/br, king lear, and frontline.

overall, i'm quite happy, but still my prepared king lear had to be significantly adapted to the question.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I thought that the Comparative Study Module question (I do Hamlet/RAGAD) was pretty cool. At first I was a bit like 'heh' but once i read it again i realised it was actually quite a good question with a lot to be able to write about. So v happy with that. :D

The Critical Study question (I do Cloudstreet)... we don't talk about that. I've had my rant in the appropriate forum. But fuck it was annoying.

For Frontline, pretty much the same story as for Hamlet: I was thrown at first but then realised it was actually not too bad.

So overall I was pretty happy with this exam. Although when i find out who wanted us to write about Quick Lamb... *sharpens knife* lol. :D

Naylyn

HSC
I quite liked the paper, though maybe thats cause for the first time ever I prepared for an english exam...

I'm so glad english is over, forever!

bmc

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I thought that the Comparative Study Module question (I do Hamlet/RAGAD) was pretty cool. At first I was a bit like 'heh' but once i read it again i realised it was actually quite a good question with a lot to be able to write about. So v happy with that. :D

The Critical Study question (I do Cloudstreet)... we don't talk about that. I've had my rant in the appropriate forum. But fuck it was annoying.

So overall I was pretty happy with this exam. Although when i find out who wanted us to write about Quick Lamb... *sharpens knife* lol. :D
LOL agree with all that. CLOUDSTREET question is so unfair. all the other questions in that section asked about the main characters except cloudstreet which asked about quick. wat was with that. so lame. i just ranted on about how he did not contribute in anyway to my reading. oh well no more english so u still have to be happy

hsc=suicide

HSC
really dont know how i went. will find out on dec 19th.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO FUCK YEAH ENGLISH IS FUCKING GONE!!!!!

and WTF does moral order mean?!?!? :S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S o_O that shits wacked

jamiedumas

HSC
omfg- wat was that shit about cloudstreet- since when do the board get so specific. why in reference to quick? (cries) at least I was well prepared so I made an honest attempt but fuck that shit was hard. Moral order in hamlet, thats never ever thats specific. Whoever wrote the paper this year must have been smoking something and ought to be shot.

sarakolahdouzan

HSC
Guernica said:
Yep, in reading time, i had the biggest grin on my face because they didn't specify text types and also because they didnt specify a speech in module B.

But it was kind of all down hill once I started writing.

SAMEE!!!!! omg i thought this paper was WONDERFUL.. i had prepared essays for 2 of the modules and emma/clueless fit PERFECT wit the one i had prepared.. i stuffed up my speeches one tho.. i was so worried they were going to ask us a specific speech that i didnt bother memorizing an essay coz it thoughit it wuld be better if i spent my time going thru all the speeches.. i onli wrote 5 pages for that section :( and personally i thought it was the biggest load of crap ive ever written... im hoping my emma/clueless essay and poweplay essay will help me bring my mark higher.. owell im overall happy! yay no more english lol

Ioup

HSC
I'm glad I don't memorise essays.
I would've been screwed if I did...

I think the 2006 paper was the Board of Studies reaction to weed out those memorisers....

passion89

HSC
The King Lear question wasn't too bad, though, a little too specific.

The strangest thing was that when I called up the HSC advice line for KL, the guy who helped me fully said 'I think you should focus on your own interpretation of Lear, himself and his charactersiation'

It's like he knew the question!! lol oooooh corruption!

Tim035

HSC
Ioup said:
I'm glad I don't memorise essays.
I would've been screwed if I did...

I think the 2006 paper was the Board of Studies reaction to weed out those memorisers....
I mainly memorised and I had no problem at all adaptating. Just lost a couple of sentences in my KL essays which was a good thing anyway because otherwise I would not have finished my module C essay.

Callie333

HSC
I know what you mean about the questions being so specific! It was ridiculous! I had everything planned out to write about Fish and then they spring his brother on me! Our teacher actually warned us about the exams being so specific, so luckily we had some study done for it. But I was still completely taken back, I really didn't think they'd be so specific or want such personal responses. Bring back the generic questions!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)