General Thoughts: English Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

muchaha

HSC
N/A
hated the essay for language and gender - very vague. just couldn't come up with a strong thesis. creative was shit, don't think mine ended up being about gender performance at all

SanjoyM

HSC
Awesome exam:)
Essay: 10 booklets, Creative: 8-9 booklets!!
Was sooo happy!! Did not hold back xD
The Genre question was pretty much the usual - albeit I took a different turn and said how Crime Writing delves into the psychological exploration of diverse facets within the human condition etc... - how contemporary crime texts provide insights into the perpetrator's psyche - linked it to Crime and Punishment and Thorwarld in Rear Window:)
Loved it!!
The creative was PERFECT:) - Fit perfectly into my imaginative, but I had to slightly alter my central element from segments of scrawlings to tickets :)
Overall, happy!! :)

SanjoyM

HSC
Btw guys, what do you reckon the E4 cutt off will be this year? 40-42ish? It was 38 last year.

deswa1

HSC
Awesome exam:)
Essay: 10 booklets, Creative: 8-9 booklets!!
Was sooo happy!! Did not hold back xD
The Genre question was pretty much the usual - albeit I took a different turn and said how Crime Writing delves into the psychological exploration of diverse facets within the human condition etc... - how contemporary crime texts provide insights into the perpetrator's psyche - linked it to Crime and Punishment and Thorwarld in Rear Window:)
Loved it!!
The creative was PERFECT:) - Fit perfectly into my imaginative, but I had to slightly alter my central element from segments of scrawlings to tickets :)
Overall, happy!! :)
inb4 state rank- calling it from now

MonsterMe

HSC
10 booklets? As in 30 pages? No way, that's insane. How big is your writing? I was happy enough at getting out 10 pages, with me small handwriting.

danniomc

HSC
After the Bomb was beautiful for me. I did 15 pages for critical, and 9 for creative.
Luckily, my creative fit the question exactly, and I already had letters in the one that I prepared so it was total luck :) so happy!

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Pretty good exam overall.

Essay topic was relatively easy to write about, creative was quite specific but I was able to adapt my story well enough. Definitely thought I did better than Trials, I certainly wrote a lot more, so I'm hoping for a good result. :)

Chrasity

HSC
FRIGGIN RIPPED THAT EXAM!!! ARGH. SO FRIGGIN HAPPY. ROMANTICISM I'M GONNA MISS YOU. YOU WERE AN EXCELLENT CHOICE OVER CRIME WRITING!!!

Hope the E4 Cut-Off is not too high though... The question was pretty easy.

SanjoyM

HSC
10 booklets? As in 30 pages? No way, that's insane. How big is your writing? I was happy enough at getting out 10 pages, with me small handwriting.
Umm my writing for the essay was medium - my essay was about 1,800ish + moulding and critics so yeah :) lol
However, my writing for creative was pretty big:)

sinawi

HSC
I think he meant pages, but then again, there's a few kids who did do massive amounts of booklets. Perhaps fast writers, big handwriting, or both. Either way, if he did do that much, he's to be congratulated.

It was an overall straightforward exam with the creative 'attempting' to derail the central conceits of many pre-prepared stories. They didn't try hard enough, so many of us could adapt it. :)

SanjoyM

HSC
I think he meant pages, but then again, there's a few kids who did do massive amounts of booklets. Perhaps fast writers, big handwriting, or both. Either way, if he did do that much, he's to be congratulated.

It was an overall straightforward exam with the creative 'attempting' to derail the central conceits of many pre-prepared stories. They didn't try hard enough, so many of us could adapt it. :)
LOL dude - umm i worte booklets - I just like writing a lot and elaborating lol
My RT was Crime and Punishment, so had to really expand on the concepts etc...

Yeah, the creative was pretty okay:)

Automatia

HSC
wow that's crazy i get my 3000 or so words down for the exam in 4 booklets and i feel like i have big handwriting. Are you guys spanning 2/3 lines for each word or something?

SanjoyM

HSC
wow that's crazy i get my 3000 or so words down for the exam in 4 booklets and i feel like i have big handwriting. Are you guys spanning 2/3 lines for each word or something?
3000 words in 4 booklets? That is physically not possible lol
i think 3,000 should at least be 10 booklets if your handwriting was tiny

I had like 6-7 words per line.

sinawi

HSC
LOL dude - umm i worte booklets - I just like writing a lot and elaborating lol
My RT was Crime and Punishment, so had to really expand on the concepts etc...

Yeah, the creative was pretty okay:)

Awesome :) Same here, I think the total essay I did ended up being roughly about 2,300 words all up with the creative 1600 words (taking into consideration moulding the ticket in there in a profound way). Didn't do any more than 12pgs for the essay and 11 for the creative. Sounds like you knew what you were doing, because the genre questions were asking for some elaboration on the 50 concepts they asked us to address anyways.

powersupply

HSC
3000 words in 4 booklets? That is physically not possible lol
i think 3,000 should at least be 10 booklets if your handwriting was tiny

I had like 6-7 words per line.
mate not to be a dick or anything, but each booklet has 3 pages of 25 lines. you claim to have written 6-7 words per line and used 10 booklets.
thats 6 x 75 x 10 which amounts to at least 4000 words for your essay alone...

SanjoyM

HSC
Awesome :) Same here, I think the total essay I did ended up being roughly about 2,300 words all up with the creative 1600 words (taking into consideration moulding the ticket in there in a profound way). Didn't do any more than 12pgs for the essay and 11 for the creative. Sounds like you knew what you were doing, because the genre questions were asking for some elaboration on the 50 concepts they asked us to address anyways.
Yeah, I absolutely hated how the question was soo broad :| - sooo many components to address, yet so little time!! Creative fit perfectly into the "idea" (prepared :p), but had to alter scrawlings/fragmented pieces of writing to inscriptions upon a ticket, drawing upon the Romantic context and ambiguous nature of crime Writing, justice, human psyche.

My essay was about the diverse facets of the human psyche and its unfettered desires for the legitimate exploration of the illegtimate (psychological substition etc...) - focused on prepetrator, evolvement of genres (textual forms, features, heightened metatextuality etc..) - So A LOT to talk about!!

Last edited:

SanjoyM

HSC
mate not to be a dick or anything, but each booklet has 3 pages of 25 lines. you claim to have written 6-7 words per line and used 10 booklets.
thats 6 x 75 x 10 which amounts to at least 4000 words for your essay alone...
Nah its fine! that was just an estimate 6-7
Im sure my handwriting got big - overall, I think I wrote approx 2,500 because i had to include other quotes + critics
Perhaps, my handwriting went mega huge lol - not quite sure:) Oh well, it's over!

powersupply

HSC
Nah its fine! that was just an estimate 6-7
Im sure my handwriting got big - overall, I think I wrote approx 2,500 because i had to include other quotes + critics
Perhaps, my handwriting went mega huge lol - not quite sure:) Oh well, it's over!
Fair enough, just me being pedantic haha
From your other posts it seems like you really knew your stuff/ blitzed it.
You should be expecting a fairly high raw+aligned mark.

sinawi

HSC
We'll have to wait and see. After all, the marking centre is really pedantic in terms of Genre as a topic. Hopefully we all did well. Best of luck guys, hope you smashed it. On to the next exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)