General Thoughts: English Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

Kowther

HSC
I thought the exam was good! (nek minnut 30/50 LOL)

nah, but it was pretty good. Although for the essay, I kinda went off a tangent into story telling a bit woops :/ The creative was okay. I just re-adapted my story from the trial.

Candidate

HSC
What did you guys have as the significant connection between the two characters in the creative? I'm actually really worried the connection in my story was not strong enough :x

klosec12

HSC
I did not think it was that bad tbh, but i did spend a lot less time on this over Chem. Essay was alright, some of the Romantic's were good and my related texts suited the question very well. My story i really liked writing, off the cuff, but i think i made it into a pretty good story with a good connection and a hopefully gripping tale.

Overall i will be over the moon if i get 42 and up, but very happy if it get anywhere around 35 onwards.

Apple Sauce

HSC
Crap.... Everyone here seems to have smashed the exam. Yay, for being scaled down... :( was hoping some would find it difficult.

c-clumsy

HSC
I did the creative first and wiped it out in ~45minutes. The question perfectly suited my story, I hardly needed to change it asides make the connection a bit more obvious (i.e. they're the two personas of the same person with Disassociate Identity Disorder).

The essay for crime made me think for a bit, and luckily I had 5-10minutes to plan out the essay. Interpreted 'responsibility' as justice and truth, and argued how changing human/social conditions represented in characters have altered these notions to the point of absence in texts such as TRIH. The question did say 'To what extent...', so my teacher had always ingrained in me to 3/4 agree and 1/4 disagree to questions such as that.

As for the 'at least TWO other texts...', I did the bare minimum of two. My teacher said use two related texts and write it with detailed textual reference, than use three and have very shallow analysis and textual reference.

Overall, I found the exam to be fairly standard. I wouldn't say it was easy or difficult, but they're increasingly trying to slaughter those with prepared responses. Cut off for E4 should be ~38-40, maybe 39 because the generic creative may not suit all Modules.

Kowther

HSC
I did the creative first and wiped it out in ~45minutes. The question perfectly suited my story, I hardly needed to change it asides make the connection a bit more obvious (i.e. they're the two personas of the same person with Disassociate Identity Disorder).

The essay for crime made me think for a bit, and luckily I had 5-10minutes to plan out the essay. Interpreted 'responsibility' as justice and truth, and argued how changing human/social conditions represented in characters have altered these notions to the point of absence in texts such as TRIH. The question did say 'To what extent...', so my teacher had always ingrained in me to 3/4 agree and 1/4 disagree to questions such as that.

As for the 'at least TWO other texts...', I did the bare minimum of two. My teacher said use two related texts and write it with detailed textual reference, than use three and have very shallow analysis and textual reference.

Overall, I found the exam to be fairly standard. I wouldn't say it was easy or difficult, but they're increasingly trying to slaughter those with prepared responses. Cut off for E4 should be ~38-40, maybe 39 because the generic creative may not suit all Modules.
oh shit. I interpreted responsibility as personal responsibility, but I talked about their personalities/characterisation and how that fits in with personal responsibility when dealing with crime, also included crime writing conventions.

hjed

HSC
oh shit. I interpreted responsibility as personal responsibility, but I talked about their personalities/characterisation and how that fits in with personal responsibility when dealing with crime, also included crime writing conventions.
That's similar to what I did, there is nothing wrong with doing it that way as well. It is less convoluted for the markers, which makes it easier to follow.

dr cookie

HSC
Looking at the creative question for Life Writing... wow... that one looked like a curveball.

I do Crime and was happy to have done 14 pages for my prepared, 1800ish word creative in about an hour, then had the rest to spend on the essay.

I took 'responsibility' to mean the detective's role to restore social equilibrium etc, but my mate in the class took it as responsibility to stick to the conventions of CW, context, etc.. Essay was 12 pages (so roughly 1500-1600 words). Stuck with only two related texts

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
I do Romanticism, and it was definitely more challenging than previous years- specifically the essay! However, I personally loved it as an exam overall. Creative fit my memorised one like a glove. Literally wrote it word for word. Haha was about Blake as a poet who endeavoured towards the ideal etc, and the second character was another poet who he wrote to via letters, and never met. I also hinted at the relationship between Blake and God as the two that never met, but I would say the letters conveyed the second poet as the second character :p Essay as not as broad as it usually is (clearly to weed out memorised responses) but I just adapted and ended up using my whole essay anyway :p Talked about the desire for the ideal (Shelley-related text 2), the imaginative experience (Coleridge prescribed texts), social/political change (Blake's poems as related text 1) and the desire to live in a separate reality (Northanger Abbey). In terms of construction of character- I argued that while construction of character was significant, it was more the construction of the text as a whole that allowed for the exploration of desire. etc

Pretty happy overall :) Hoping my last exam will go well!

c-clumsy

HSC
That's similar to what I did, there is nothing wrong with doing it that way as well. It is less convoluted for the markers, which makes it easier to follow.
It was a very open ended question this year. Responsibility from what perspective was not specified so you could do whatever with it. My friend did the social responsibility for crime and how societal values and attitudes shape it. Another person from my cohort interpreted the question as closure and punishment, and how it is the composers' responsibility to ensure good prevails over evil to give certainty and comfort for audiences.

I'll be very interested to see what the comments from the marking centre will say for this question actually haha

RafH

HSC
Uni Grad
I did ATB and initially freaked when i saw the question, I think it was okay tho in the end. Better than i expected.
My biggest concern is my handwriting right now =/
I just hope they can read it!!

eleven booklets in total so handwriting died a bit.

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
Thought it was pretty good. Stuffed up analysis in one of the 4 texts for essay.

Science Fiction, btw.

Estimates are 21 and 19-21.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I did ATB and initially freaked when i saw the question, I think it was okay tho in the end. Better than i expected.
My biggest concern is my handwriting right now =/
I just hope they can read it!!

eleven booklets in total so handwriting died a bit.

how the heck does one write 33 pages

suprwoman101

HSC
Must be one of the only people to do Navigating the Global.....

Essay was awful! Such a tenuous link to draw "home" and concepts of local+global/changing world together... Awful link to the syllabus/rubric for NTG, definitely one of the weirdest questions they have thrown for NTG in a long time. Wrote 7 pages (feeling rather inadequate now looking at some of the page counts for you lot). "Texts and ways of thinking" combined with character development is a bit messy. Managed it, but a couple of my related texts were articles/dissertations, so 0 character development there! Blerk.

Didn't mind the creative, didn't match any ideas for creatives I'd had in mind... Went with a cause/effect creative told through two perspectives and text types - Bill Gates (speeches) and an African girl (diary).

Could have done worse, but had a large internal meltdown during reading time looking at the questions. Even my teacher looked shocked/horrified when she saw it.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
I dun goofed, was so tired/drained the night before that I went to sleep and woke up at 5 in the morning only to cram for a couple of hours. Hoping for 21-22 with the essay and 20 for the creative. ofuckwhathaveidone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)