General Thoughts - Geography (1 Viewer)

Harry Bannister

HSC
margarita159 said:
the more i think about it, the worse i think i did, damn...:mad1: , the short answers were crap i think, but the essays were OK!, i did so many diagrams for the ecosystems... u got to love dorrigo, YEAH dorrigo, u heard me, most of you probably dont even know where it is, u city sklickers:confused:

lol Kate , u didnt prepare for 20, dont worry that band 6 still looks achieveable for u.

all i want is a low band 5 ... pplleeaasse:) :)
How very dare you, I know exactly where dorrigo is! Lol I think you've been looking too much at spatial exclusion or something.

efhat

HSC
hmmm i rekon it was a pretty fair exam.....exceptthe weather was soooo distracting!.....the m/c was very annoying, too many fiddly skill questions, more than last year definatly......short answer was sweet, and yehs i got 2.5 for VE too......um essays were quite good.....i had up to date info for all of em, managed 9 pages for ecosystems, love the great barrier reef! ......5.5 pages for urban dynamics, did pyrmont with urban renewal....god bless our teacher for being obsessed with it.......and got bout 5.5 for tourism........so hoping i did well enought for around mid band 5.....we shall see

mouldy

HSC
My geo teacher is very talented.

Shout out to Shaz at MCC!

simon89

HSC
mouldy said:
Don't worry margarita159, you will definitely surprise yourself. You know how geography teachers love diagrams!

Did everyone get 2.5 for VE?

I worked out that i will hopefully get at least 83 raw, assuming i got as many right in the multiple choice as i think i did.
Yes I got VE = 2.5 as well

pks365

HSC
Couldn't hav asked 4 a better paper. tat was fuckin easy. I was laughing my head off. Just as simple as general maths. Geography though, is scaled down heaps so hopefully i rip physics and cane ancient hstory. Then Im in - UNSW MEDICINE....

Raghav Garg - (UNSW - MBBS) Aim: at least 95+:)

margarita159

HSC
mouldy said:
My geo teacher is very talented.

Shout out to Shaz at MCC!
i second what MOULDY said

Shaz was the best teacher, she'll be gettin a bottle of shiraz with a very deep bottom...

pinkdragon89

HSC
well i expected the urban dynamics question because I cross - checked the syllabus with the past essay questions and it was the only dot point that wasnt examined...yet we had done like one lesson on it in class....so i was kinda screwed i think i got 7 pages though lol its good when u know a lot about ur local town!

I wasnt sure about the ecosystems essay when I first read it...because i was like do they want us to talk about climate change? But i didnt know enough on that (and didnt think it was even in the syllabus?) so I just talked about general changes to the environment and applied it....got 9 or 10 pages.

Economic activity was pretty much the easiest essay....nature and spatiall ditribution for tourism= piece of cake. Then predictions....well u can say anything as long as u justify.

MC i thought was a bit more time consuming then usual. Got 3pm for that time of day one but i think i guessed it lol.

Short answer was weird in how it was like almost totally based on the stimulus, except for the world cities part. No mention of Megacities in the whole exam? damn thats the easy part!

We had a massive storm during our exam...heavy rain on a tin roof...thunder....lights flickering...so i would say that there is a good chance of getting special consideration. woot bonus marks

oh well my assessment was like 90 or something so i should definately by over 80 all up

margarita159

HSC
Harry Bannister said:
How very dare you, I know exactly where dorrigo is! Lol I think you've been looking too much at spatial exclusion or something.
snap....

well at least u know where it is, one of the very few im guessing
and i do not live a sheltered life, excluded from the rest of the world.

Alex Osborne

HSC
JEWEL-LAD said:
Personally i think it was pretty hard, i also thought the trial was a b!@ch, and only answered two of the three essays. This time i did alot better and got all essays in the time, but it was still quite hard.

Question 20 especially, i was not expecting a question like that, more a question relating to World or Mega cities or Urban dynamics in SYDNEY, not an urban town or suburb which we did not cover in class, specifically anyway.

I hope alot of poeple thought it was hard aswell haha to scale me up.

"Critically analyse ONE urban dynamic of change operating in a country town OR suburb"

Unfortunatly you didn't read the question correctly because this could easily be related to Sydney. Sydney has suburbs, all you had to do was critically analyse an urban dynamic operating in a suburb of Sydney. E.g. i analysed Urban Renewal operating in Pyrmont.
Unlucky bro. Ohh well its over and nearly time to party. yew.

Alex Osborne

HSC
simon1989 said:
i took the paper home and i still can't work out how to do that time of day question by looking at the photo and topo map. the only thing i could think of was shadows but that could be a cloud or something. any ideas anyone
yeah its shadows man... and because there were none im prity sure 12 noon was answer as sun is in middle of sky directly above... i think.

mouldy

HSC
pinkdragon89 said:
We had a massive storm during our exam...heavy rain on a tin roof...thunder....lights flickering...so i would say that there is a good chance of getting special consideration. woot bonus marks
Are you serious? Theres NO WAY you will get special consideration for the weather! Hahahaha. unless it was a flood stopping you from getting to your exam or something.

redjelly

HSC
that exam was SINISTER! On first glance simple but quickly descended into a comedy of errors for me!

TIME OF DAY Q;
Have had major discussion with my teacher (who's a marker) and we agreed IT WAS DODGY BECAUSE
Didn't specify season/Time zone/ daylight or not daylight savings

What I'm getting at here is once you'd figured out a) sun rises in east, b)you were facing north west and c) the shadows were falling towards the east (thus sun in west) and that they were fairlly long, YOU COULDNT TELL if it was 3 or 7.

The sun sets considerably later the closer to the arctic circle you go during summer, and differs according to daylight savings etc...

So i went with 7, but it was DODGY!

As for the rest of exam, our class too suffered crazy weather conditions and annoying thunder (how dare it storm during our geography exam???). I found short answers difficult because skills and the broadsheet are my weakest link and so having so little on learn abouts (only 1 WC q) and so much on the broadsheet was tough. Extended responses. Went for global warming on the coral reefs but think my essay sounded like i just spewed out an article from the Good Weekend a week ago... economic activity was easy and predictable, urban dynamic touch because we'd only done one tiny lesson on exurbanisation in out town...def didnt CRITICALLY ANALYSE more like tiptoed around the edges whispering please please pleasssse give me some marks!!!!

Goodluck w the rest of em! So nearlly over!!!

Grimesy

HSC
redjelly said:
TIME OF DAY Q;
Have had major discussion with my teacher (who's a marker) and we agreed IT WAS DODGY BECAUSE
Didn't specify season/Time zone/ daylight or not daylight savings

What I'm getting at here is once you'd figured out a) sun rises in east, b)you were facing north west and c) the shadows were falling towards the east (thus sun in west) and that they were fairlly long, YOU COULDNT TELL if it was 3 or 7.

The sun sets considerably later the closer to the arctic circle you go during summer, and differs according to daylight savings etc...

So i went with 7, but it was DODGY!
yeh i do agree with you in general that it was a dodgy question, however after looking at the map of canada, and specifically vancouver you could see latitude was approx 50N. From that i got 3pm and am quite certain that it is definetly not 9am, it could be 12 because the sun is on a different aspect, meaning that the shadows wont be directly east or west during the day but are going to curve around the northern side of objects compared with the southern side in the south hemisphere ie why north facing houses cost more.

People are getting 9am because they didnt orientate the photo correctly, drawing the shadows on to the map of the harbour made it easiest, but then again if you didnt get question 10 correct you wouldnt get 11 or 12 either

pinkdragon89

HSC
mouldy said:
Are you serious? Theres NO WAY you will get special consideration for the weather! Hahahaha. unless it was a flood stopping you from getting to your exam or something.
Um well im sorry that you think that you know everything around here but we do our exams in a show ground pavillion with a tin roof and last year people got bonis marks because it poured the whole exam and the sound was amplified by the tin roof....now i if they got special consideration for that im pretty sure we will considering a storm is worse.

thankyou very much

anyways i dont really care considering i have an assessment mark of like 93 and think that I got at least 80 in that exam

Last edited:

blackall46

HSC
nah it wasnt dodgy

sun rises in the east, therefore the shadows would be on the western sides of the shit at 9am. which it was.

RocketBoots

HSC
I would have to say it was the easiest exam so far (only done adv eng)
Multi choice had no troubles, that time of day question was def 3pm no question about it, shadows + the sky
Short answers they didn't give you enough lines to work with other then that no issues

and i dont know about you guys but thank god for question 20 knew it all back to front 10 pages of urban renewal in pyrmont!while q 19 was pretty tricky

overall im guessing 94%+ :)

pete001

HSC
Pretty good i thought.

Urban Dynamics and Tourism Extended responses were good.

Ecosystems, hmm didnt really like the way the question was worded...

Im thinkin mid - high 80's maybe? Not holding my breath tho..

Pete

ando24

HSC
i thought it was generally ok......i did 10 pages on urban places on bellingen where i live so that was easy cause it never had came up and our class predicted it...i thought the people and economic activity question which most people studied tourist was unexpected cause it came up the year before or a very similar one and i wrote 9 pages and the ecosystems essay had bad wording but it was ok and wrote 7 pages.......the mc and short answer were easy especially the short answer....overall i will be disappointed if i dont get a band 6

ando24

HSC
the time of the day was definately 9am because the sun rises in the west and if u looked at the right picture which it told u wat source it was the it was 9 am....the picture they were refering to was the top view of the city.....i thought that they were talking about the other picture and then thought it was 3pm but then soon realised and the stadium cast a shadow to the east.... which means it was morning

frewins

HSC
The sun rises in the east in The Northern Hempishere and The Southern Hemisphere because the earth spins in direction only

which means its was 3pm not 9am as a few of you have posted

good luck everyone, i think thats the only one i felt confident about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)