General Thoughts: Mathematics Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

uirate

HSC
Re: holy fucking shit i might as well just die now.

was the test similar to last year? i remember there being a lot of shitty 1 markers that took so much time
nah, last year's paper was much easier.. the one markers in last years paper weren't that bad (maximum 2 line answers).

these one markers were so bad :/

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
if it lost 1/8 of volume therefore there be 7/8V left
Intially, V = h^3pi/3
So make the 7/8V = 7h^3pi/28 = pi(h^3 -L^3)/3
Then equate L = h/2 ?
then i got -5pi/2
Damnn. I don't think I got that =.= Ugh, this test was brutal. I was hoping for 74+/84. That's not going to happen now -.-

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yehh its y > 1/4 ='(
got it wrong
calculated i got at most 71/84. shame of my school LOL drag everyone down

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Re: Wow, fuck that LOL THE TITLE CHANGED AND I AM SLIGHTY AMUSED

I lost around 37 marks not including silly mistakes.
Man what a waste of time. I guess MX1 helps with 2U skills..

"You must spread some reputation before giving it to Squishxmishyx again"

as16

HSC
N/A

Also, for cos^-1(-1/2), did anyone write the general solution? I was being a smartarse and wrote it, but now it seems so stupid, as arccos has restricted domain =\
i wrote the general solution.
omg very hard test. sitting on about 77-85% raw mark max

as16

HSC
N/A

Also, for cos^-1(-1/2), did anyone write the general solution? I was being a smartarse and wrote it, but now it seems so stupid, as arccos has restricted domain =\
i wrote the general solution.
omg very hard test. sitting on about 77-85% raw mark max

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Was a hard paper but don't worry if you didn't do as well as you wanted - it's over now and everyone else is in the same boat, marks will be aligned.

zhuang281

HSC
I do 4U and found that quite challenging time wise. Prob 78-82 out of 84

For P it was some wierd ass answer obtained from quadratic formula. All i remember was a fraction with a -sqrt17 in it tho..

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Hard test, could have done with some more time but I just wasn't seeing a lot of things - even apparently simple 1 markers. 70/84 hopeful.

IamBread

HSC

I wrote the general solution. It did say exact answer so I wasn't to sure.

Nympha

HSC
I thought it was okay.. already lost about 4-5 marks but on top of stupid mistakes, more to come!

A lot harder than I expected I think.

Also what was the total distance the particle travelled? And also what did everyone get as 'p'?
I think p was (7- sqrt(17))/8

mirakon

nigga
HSC
K, just had my first look at it

imo, nothing earlier than Q5 should have given you trouble.
First part of question 5 seems very complex though in terms of the working required and would have chewed up your time.
The rest of question 5 was alright though.
Q6 looked nice, would have been happy with it
Q7a seemed like a bit of a bitch to be honest, quite difficult. But the parts afterwards seemed alright

Much like 4u this year, I don't think ciritcally thinking was an issue, but rather the time constraints

IamBread

HSC
Re: Wow, fuck that

That was fucking hard man. I usually get 82-81/84 pretty easy in all the past papers i've done, and finished with more than half an hour left

today i was working literally right up until they said pens down. I reckon I'll be lucky to get 80/84. the first part of Q5 took me forever for some raisin although i got it out.

Part (ii) of Q5pb was just retarded. The whole question was just confusing as shit. Did anyone else get about 8.46 am for it?

Q6 was luckily pretty easy.

The rates of change just fucking threw me in Q7, it took me 10 minutes to remember the formula for the volume of a cylinder. I eventually got it out, although i'm positive I got the last part wrong. I got a cubic root or some shit.

Don't even know about 7b. I'm pretty confident I got it out. Still, hard as shit

This is a review from someone who consistently gets 80+ in Ex1 and 110+ in Ex2. It was hard
I found question 5 to be a lot harder then any other question. All that stuff for part a and it was only 1 mark each... And I couldn't make any sense out of part b ii.

Nympha

HSC
Re: Wow, fuck that

I found question 5 to be a lot harder then any other question. All that stuff for part a and it was only 1 mark each... And I couldn't make any sense out of part b ii.
You had to transpose what you knew from the previous part into it. So A = surrounding temperature, ie. 22. I just took t=0 as 10am, and then at that time T =30. After doing all that subbing in crap, you get a negative answer - which means the time was 8.46. It makes sense, if you think about it, because the object is COOLING.. so, it's obviously going to be 37 degrees before 10am.
I totally think BOS meant for the object to be a dead body. 37degrees - suspicious much? :p

This question was very similar to something in a SGS trial (2004 4 unit) - well, in terms of the negative time anyway.

Last edited:

aheyhey

HSC
Yeah time was a really big issue and Someone said the questions weren't difficult, just really lengthy. If we all had 30 minutes extra I think most of us would be able to revisit questions we couldn't do previously with a clearer head and hence, be able to solve it. I mean, I'm pretty sure we all studied hard for this exam. We knew out shit but nervousness can really make everything you think you knew fly out the window.

Seriously, for the last 10 minutes all I could think about the exam was coming to an end and I still had a couple of questions I wanted to check over. (Like the notorious 5a) and probability question.) Wasted those 10 minutes trying to do 7.b) ....

For those people who're like 81/84 or 80/84 and are crying over it, GTFO you nerds
This thread is a pity party for those who think they really fucked up the exam lol

rawrence

HSC
For those people who're like 81/84 or 80/84 and are crying over it, GTFO you nerds
This thread is a pity party for those who think they really fucked up the exam lol
Sometimes when people get too cocky for their own good, they reside on this site so there's no way somebody actually punches them in the face.

The wise owl always hides his talons.

friend177

HSC
Yeah time was a really big issue and Someone said the questions weren't difficult, just really lengthy. If we all had 30 minutes extra I think most of us would be able to revisit questions we couldn't do previously with a clearer head and hence, be able to solve it. I mean, I'm pretty sure we all studied hard for this exam. We knew out shit but nervousness can really make everything you think you knew fly out the window.

Seriously, for the last 10 minutes all I could think about the exam was coming to an end and I still had a couple of questions I wanted to check over. (Like the notorious 5a) and probability question.) Wasted those 10 minutes trying to do 7.b) ....

Lol yeap what im pissed off was that there was only 3 marks worth of projectile motion and they were simple ones. All those time wasted revising past Projectile motion....

forthehsc

HSC
K, just had my first look at it

imo, nothing earlier than Q5 should have given you trouble.
First part of question 5 seems very complex though in terms of the working required and would have chewed up your time.
The rest of question 5 was alright though.
Q6 looked nice, would have been happy with it
Q7a seemed like a bit of a bitch to be honest, quite difficult. But the parts afterwards seemed alright

Much like 4u this year, I don't think ciritcally thinking was an issue, but rather the time constraints
Sometimes when people get too cocky for their own good, they reside on this site so there's no way somebody actually punches them in the face.

The wise owl always hides his talons.

+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)