General Thoughts: Modern History 2008 HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
Re: How was modern Exam?

really?...wow?

how do they mark though...like a fair few 20/25s?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Kujah said:
I think the raw cut-off for B6 is around 85-88~

The couple of years that I did the aligning process it was mid-80s but exactly what I can't remember anyway.

Susieee

HSC
N/A
Re: Howd you find it?

I bullshitted so much. but overall, I found it better than I expected.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC

cem said:
The couple of years that I did the aligning process it was mid-80s but exactly what I can't remember anyway.
Excellent! that makes me feel very confident. and thanks too kujah. 85-88 WOO
does that mean that people who earn a raw band 6 end up getting scaled up insanely well? like if the cutoff is 85-88 raw, then someone who earnt 92 raw ends up with 94 or something?
I can see this turning into another 'aligning/moderating' discussion, haha...

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

fallenstar said:
Excellent! that makes me feel very confident. and thanks too kujah. 85-88 WOO
does that mean that people who earn a raw band 6 end up getting scaled up insanely well? like if the cutoff is 85-88 raw, then someone who earnt 92 raw ends up with 94 or something?
I can see this turning into another 'aligning/moderating' discussion, haha...
I'm curious too though, haha. I can see myself raw getting like.. 90+? Give or take how harsh or loose they are with 2 and 3 of the Core. My modern teacher was a real hard Core marker, sooo, yeah.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

Depends on the size of your handwriting, how long youve been practising speed writing, and whether the question was perfect.

For me, I get six - seven words a line, with largeish, roundish handwriting on an angle in running writing. Ive always writen fast and the question was perfect.

As for the size of the course, I think its managable for those willing to put in the extra effort. Modern was probably my least time consuming subject tbh.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC

sonyaleeisapixi said:
I'm curious too though, haha. I can see myself raw getting like.. 90+? Give or take how harsh or loose they are with 2 and 3 of the Core. My modern teacher was a real hard Core marker, sooo, yeah.
Yeah same!
Core will be the decider methinks.
My mod teacher was a marker last year and in our half-yearly exam, trials and practice Core, she would mark so hard, reluctant to give a 10 (Sort of like your modern teacher :) ) but I'm hoping she pushed us so that our answers in the Core were actually 9/10 instead of the 8-9 she gave out.
I can see myself getting 90+ raw as well. A bit worried about Personality though, because I took a historiographical approach - Gorbachev is only a winner through some lenses due to context and political partiality. Cold War rhetoric has meant that the US see him as a loser due to their desire to claim Cold War victory. However Eastern Europeans see him as a winner as he freed them from Soviet rule..While Russians see him as a traitor to Communism due to their context...A bit worried, perhaps I should have argued one way or the other, not assessed all these perspectives? My mod teacher said that was a great approach. But I'm worried because I hardly got to read over it due to time etc...

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

fallenstar said:
Yeah same!
Core will be the decider methinks.
My mod teacher was a marker last year and in our half-yearly exam, trials and practice Core, she would mark so hard, reluctant to give a 10 (Sort of like your modern teacher :) ) but I'm hoping she pushed us so that our answers in the Core were actually 9/10 instead of the 8-9 she gave out.
I can see myself getting 90+ raw as well. A bit worried about Personality though, because I took a historiographical approach - Gorbachev is only a winner through some lenses due to context and political partiality. Cold War rhetoric has meant that the US see him as a loser due to their desire to claim Cold War victory. However Eastern Europeans see him as a winner as he freed them from Soviet rule..While Russians see him as a traitor to Communism due to their context...A bit worried, perhaps I should have argued one way or the other, not assessed all these perspectives? My mod teacher said that was a great approach. But I'm worried because I hardly got to read over it due to time etc...
Don't worry hun, I never read over my essays when Im done. I find it either excites me too much or I want to go back and change everything, haha. Your approach sounds quite articulate and well thought, so you should do great.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

=\ Thats why you dont memorise essays. Thats why you know your content backwards and do as many practise essays as you can to get a feel for writing about different aspects of the course, which is more than possible in 12 months

madelyneee

HSC

Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The only question that really got me was Arab-Israeli, bleh. My worst topic.

I linked the "history is for winners" question to Winston Churchill; you know his line about how "winners write the history." I thought i was relevant for Leni because she ended up writing her own history, it terms of her memoirs, and all her interviews etc. With the advantage of hindsight she was able to reconstuct her own past to an extent. Who else did Leni and said she was a winner?

urbanninja

HSC

Modern was a breeze, or at least it seemed that way to me. Never know with benchmarking and marking styles as to how good you, but overall couldn't have been happier with the exam.

WW1 - No problems.
USA - Social Tensions was easy to get 6 pages out on.
D. MacArthur - He was the ultimate winner.
Conflict in the Pacific - Harder then the other sections but not bad.

Eng Ext 1 and Ancient History here I come.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

madelyneee said:
Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The only question that really got me was Arab-Israeli, bleh. My worst topic.

I linked the "history is for winners" question to Winston Churchill; you know his line about how "winners write the history." I thought i was relevant for Leni because she ended up writing her own history, it terms of her memoirs, and all her interviews etc. With the advantage of hindsight she was able to reconstuct her own past to an extent. Who else did Leni and said she was a winner?
meeee

Riefenstahl had to win the acceptance of historians as an artist, not a propagandist. I showed how she was an artist and thus she won out because most representations and historical sources/views swing that way, or something

I was way more articulate on paper, lol.

Scissors

HSC

i don't do this subject, but i just thought i'd tell you guys that a guy in my school wrote 24 pages for one of the essays. lol.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

Scissors said:
i don't do this subject, but i just thought i'd tell you guys that a guy in my school wrote 24 pages for one of the essays. lol.
Adam, I wrote 24 pages for all the essays
=d

Scissors

HSC

sonyaleeisapixi said:
Adam, I wrote 24 pages for all the essays
=d
WTF!?!

i thought 24 pages was in-fucking-sane.

sbrooks

HSC

didn't study enough for russia so i screwed that up big time. hardly wrote anything ><"

personality question wasn't bad.

i'm praying that i'll be able to get above 80%... T.T

sing4absolution

HSC

The winners question made me think for a bit,
but i ended up arguing against it, saying that although history is constructed by the victors and dictators, its purpose is to inform the present so the wrongs of the past are not repeated. (even though this doesn't happen too often)
i did nelson mandela and incorporated brutalities of apartheid and struggle for equality etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)