General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
What was your essay structure?
Why?
I talked about it being a factor but not the most important. I mentioned previous attempts at disarmament failing (such as Detente/SALT I)
Then I said how it was a combination of several factors including the smaller communist countries beginning to revolt, the inevitability of the USSR downfall (RE: US being able to out spend them due to USSRs poor economy) and the the movement towards peace and closure from the people (as personified in Berlin)

Like, I said that even without disarmament the Cold War would've drawn to a close because of the failing nature of Communism at that time.

I dunno. I was rushed for time and only ended up having about 30 minutes on this one.

dudsmlc

HSC
I chose the consolidation of power question, seeing as the question I guess was more straightforward and less open to interpretation. I don't really think it was narrow though; it is a direct dot point of the syllabus, so that made it quite easy to answer as I prepared for it.
+1. I saw "Account for" and started cheering, no need to worry about referring back to the statement provided. There was ample content to wrote about given how quickly Hitler moved to sure up his position. The Weimar one was also straight forward but I am glad that I did the consolidation of power.

briesykes

HSC
ARGH I just reread the questions, and I thought the conflict in Europe League of Nations questions asked for the effectiveness of peace maintenance IN 1939, not up until 1939. So I wrote an essay just on 1939, outlining Czechoslovakia, the Nazi-Soviet Pact, Poland etc :( how many marks will I lose for this? Will I get 0/25? :(

enoilgam

HSC
ARGH I just reread the questions, and I thought the conflict in Europe League of Nations questions asked for the effectiveness of peace maintenance IN 1939, not up until 1939. So I wrote an essay just on 1939, outlining Czechoslovakia, the Nazi-Soviet Pact, Poland etc :( how many marks will I lose for this? Will I get 0/25? :(
You will still do pretty well, those issues are central to the league of nations. Although they might mark you down for missing things like abyssinia etc.

Beeck

HSC
I thought it was C to because the other 3 could have been at any point in the war at any trench but the gas masks were the only thing that fitted in with early WW1 for me

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You definitely won't get 0/25 but you probably won't get 25/25 either.

You will be credited with what you did do and how well you did it.

lucyc19

HSC
I said the gauze, because gas masks were later developed.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I thought the paper was pretty good, really generic questions which were a relief to see.
WWI was okay, sources a bit bland, and multi-choice a bit tricky. Though the question on strategies and tactics was a good question n_n. The sources were a bit weird, and I had to think really hard if I had analysed the right sources for the long response, you guys had me worrying. x_x

Germany was pretty good. I like the take on the Weimar question, and it was a pretty easy question to infuse own knowledge and argument into it. Which was superb. :) Took one look at it, and thanked the Modern History Gods, was bliss - was so worried about this section.

Personalities was okay. The Three significant events was a spanner in the works, but everything still went okay. n_n The contribution wasn't too bad either, Leni worked really well with this I found. So was happy with this section.

Conflict in Europe, I did the League of Nations question. Was a bit tricky to work and what not, but talked about Manchuria, Abyssinia, Spanish Civil War, Czechoslovakia and all that. n_n Was pretty happy with this question, though my detail of information was a bit average, but oh well. It's overrrr! n_n

hypia

HSC
I also made that mistake, I thought they were fixing pipes above their trench to blow gas onto the enemy etc ha

bk69

HSC
damn it, i wrote the photo in source c was not staged and hence it has some reliability, would i lose marks?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Depends on how well you argued that it has some relibility, which it does - uniforms, sandbags etc were all parts of trenches.

crazybea

HSC
N/A
no wth

it wasnt staged at all...

in the battle of ypres (second battle) they used gauze masks to protect themselves from poisons and mustard gas (new technologies of warfare - a strategy to break the war of attrition)

YES they used gauze masks for that (just did my research)

what u DO ARGUE is that the reliability is hindered by its lack of referencing

other than that, it is a reliable picture of the battle of ypres

there is nothing staged about it

EDIT: germans used GAS MASKS; british used GAUZE MASKS (their tech was behind)

also, i did the mc of the "new trenches" only because artillery and mustard gas would completely destroy the structures

but i think the more logical answer is the vegetation one (the gauze masks were used throughout the entirety of the battle of ypres - second)

http://www.worldwar1.com/sf2ypres.htm

also the dangers of trench warfare (during this battle) : respiratory problems - due to mustard gas and gas warfare - and risk of vision impairment

Last edited:

briesykes

HSC
You will still do pretty well, those issues are central to the league of nations. Although they might mark you down for missing things like abyssinia etc.
I really hope so :( I feel so silly, I could have written so much more! I'm so angry with myself. Thank you for your reassurance though :)

You definitely won't get 0/25 but you probably won't get 25/25 either.

You will be credited with what you did do and how well you did it.
But now I am worried about not doing it well! I don't mind not getting full marks, I'd just feel awful if it let the rest of my exam down!

enoilgam

HSC
I really hope so :( I feel so silly, I could have written so much more! I'm so angry with myself. Thank you for your reassurance though :)

But now I am worried about not doing it well! I don't mind not getting full marks, I'd just feel awful if it let the rest of my exam down!
If you argued it out well you could still get around a band 5 or maybe maybe even a low band 6.

jorja94

HSC
Did anyone else do Anglo-Irish as their conflict?
I mean, I know it's not very popular, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing it at all!?

Our class also did Mandela as personality and South Africa as national study, which don't seem to be all that common either, but more-so than Anglo.

wogboy23

HSC
oh no - for the aeroplane multiple choice I put the "baptism of fire" quote cos it blatantly said it! I feel so stupid :(
and new trenches which suggests this was the early stages of the war :(
GRR, HATED THAT MULTIPLE CHOICE >l

Beeck

HSC
I did the anglo Irish coflict I answered the question about para militaries but I found both of the questions really hard because they were on the two areas of the sylabus that was least confident in, what question did you do??
Did anybody do China for their National study and Zhu De for their personality I did the second question for China and thought it was pretty good and I thought that the questions went really well for Zhu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)