General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
I really rushed this section so I just sort of said that the effect on soldiers who went back to the US and the destruction of farmland etc. continued to effect people well throughout the 70s. Didn't even go into Vietnamisation because I ran out of time. Left myself nearly no time to write this essay, regret it so much now.
On the other hand that's a really fresh angle and completely correct way to attack the question. For example I only alluded to the agriculture destruction from bombing being an issue for many years to come and consequences on US soldiers? /lol. I think my mistake was in fact spending too much time on the 1960s (even explaining 1950s Containment, Domino, Monolithic underpinnings) and the 1970s all became a blur to me at the end. So, fingers crossed and good luck to the rest of your exams!

:)

Yeah but they're not mutually exclusive haha. I mean, if I can write that much, I might as well.
+1 just to be safe.
I mean they can't deduct marks away from you from writing too much and if you have the time and you're capable of writing that much, it almost increases your chance at more marks in a way? I always say, when quality fails, let quantity make it up. Idk, from a psychological POV though, it could seem like you just go on and on and they lose interest and focus with your essay.

see this is why i avoided this question, nationalism can exist in democracy. its not a system of government. i mean ho chi minh was a nationalist and hes on the other end of the spectrum

consolidation seemed much simpler and im shocked at the amount of people doing nationalism
I think what drove people away from it is the EXPLAIN WHY bit so really, I think you have to do quite a bit pre-1933 to cover the background details and the foundations of their power. If it's account for, I can see more people attempting it. Also some students also study Germany in two halves of the syllabus as an exam strategy/bet. Maybe they didn't know anything beyond 1934 to attempt the first question.

Last edited:

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
But wouldn't you interpret,democracy for freedom to choose, but after Hitler became dictator via the enabling act, as he brought he everything under his contro, doesn't that make no-democratic nation?
Yes that's true but the question didn't specify if it was German democracy. You could mention how the the extreme nationalism in Nazi foreign policy led to resounding success over the predispositions of other democratic nations like Britain and France. A good example of this is the reoccupation of the Saar. 90% voted in favor of rejoining Germany over becoming an independent democratic nation therefore "nationalism triumphed over democracy"

Dogs4Life

HSC
Just to chime,

the way I answered the question was nationalism, to a large extent, did triumph over democracy in the period between 1918 and 1939 (no shit) because:
1) the intransigent/rigid mindset of most Germans were bounded by nationalistic ideals and disproved a complete acceptance of democracy in a nation that held a proud history of authoritarianism etc. mentioned chiefly the Treaty of Versailles that stripped Germany of its national power/pride etc.
2) hitler was able to use the notion of nationalism to attain populist support amid an anti-democratic, politically disillusioned climate (I should have also mentioned the role of propaganda in furthering this emphasis on nationalism but got too caught up in the heat of writing).
3) the doings (rearmament, grossdeustchland etc.) of Nazi foreign policy that were underpinned by nationalistic ideals effectively dismantled the Treaty of Versailles and thereby restored German pride - a clear triumph over democracy that failed to fully overcome this 'diktat'

in hindsight, really could have mentioned a lot more things but i suppose that's how the hsc game goes :) wrote some 7.5 pages, which should be about 1000 words for me
Exactly how i structured it!

and then an extra paragraph at the end about there were already problems with democracy and then how nationalism wasnt the only cause of the failure of democracy

russ3l

HSC
So could clarify if 'my response' would be wrong.
A response (granted it was a reasonable) can never be wrong; as long you've support whatever you said with ample detail you should be set man :) But you may have misinterpreted the key terms of 'nationalism' and 'democracy' (it was, above anything, referring to Nazism defined through nationalism > Weimar Republic defined through democracy)

Nationalism =/= Nazism, from what I gathered your response assumed

and then an extra paragraph at the end about there were already problems with democracy and then how nationalism wasnt the only cause of the failure of democracy
wooo what mark are you aiming for in both this section and exam as a whole?

NO MORE HITLER/CRAMMING HISTORICAL ANALYSES CRAP

Dogs4Life

HSC
A response (granted it was a reasonable) can never be wrong; as long you've support whatever you said with ample detail you should be set man :) But you may have misinterpreted the key terms of 'nationalism' and 'democracy' (it was, above anything, referring to Nazism defined through nationalism > Weimar Republic defined through democracy)

Nationalism =/= Nazism, from what I gathered your response assumed

wooo what mark are you aiming for in both this section and exam as a whole?

NO MORE HITLER/CRAMMING HISTORICAL ANALYSES CRAP
22 hopefully for germany, it could have been better.

Probs all up im looking at maybe 84-87 raw. Im first in my cohort, and i knew a few of the others performed a bit better. So ill get their mark for internals

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
Ez exam all together. Question that I know for sure I lost a mark in, was that mc question that contained shellings, barrage blah blah. Overall, all my questions were dumb as. Thank you BOSTES for writing an ez paper.

edwardf316

HSC
N/A

This is nearly identical to mine. Gives me a great sense of relief

boyzac

HSC
N/A
Multiple choice was so fucked up

how many multiple choice qs was there again? was it 5?
i probably got 1/5 right

Marundanation

HSC
Multiple choice was so fucked up

how many multiple choice qs was there again? was it 5?
i probably got 1/5 right
I thought multiple choice was easy.

And about the Barrage vs Shrapnel question I am pretty sure its Barrage because Shrapnel is ineffective against trenches because it does not penetrate. Well sure get inside the blast radius you'll die but it is relatively easy to shield yourself from a shrapnel shell. You'll need high explosives if you want to collapse enemy trenches.

dinomyte

HSC
Didnt do ww1 well because I got stumped in the mc, and the source analysis was a bit of a mess for me as well. However one of the Cold War questions was the same as our trial so that was pretty much a godsend lol and the USA question was pretty good as well. Main problem is ww1, hope I can still get over 20 in this section lol

lalzyesh

HSC
For anyone who did Conflict in Euorope the question about the air war, did anyone tie in other factors which shaped the course of the European War? :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
On the other hand that's a really fresh angle and completely correct way to attack the question. For example I only alluded to the agriculture destruction from bombing being an issue for many years to come and consequences on US soldiers? /lol. I think my mistake was in fact spending too much time on the 1960s (even explaining 1950s Containment, Domino, Monolithic underpinnings) and the 1970s all became a blur to me at the end. So, fingers crossed and good luck to the rest of your exams!
Indochina was my weakest area, I only had one page of notes on it so I had to just work with what I had. I'll be verry lucky to come away from that section with a 20, but I'm hoping the rest of my exam will make up for it?

ZackXXT

HSC
I predicted my modules to the question... even the wording.

I predicted that USA 1919-1941; (I did not guess, I kind of knew) would be not only Foreign Policy, but Domestic pressures. I wrote the same essay I did the day before the exam, which was marked by a former Senior Modern marker. I destroyed it 23+ Hands Down.

I also predicted Home-Fronts for Pacific (The pattern indicated: Turning Points; Home-Fronts or Allied Occupation) In fact, for the Pacific if you learn, ' Turning Points, Allied Occupation, Civilians, Home-Fronts and Growth Of Tensions, due to the nature of the syllabus, they have to ask one of those in a linear manner) so I fixed a 22-23+ for that section; (Had to rush, time was running out). My essay already had the comparisons... the structure was a contrast between the two... e.g. 'In stark contrast. Like X - drawing out the similarities... required little if any alteration'.

The personality Part A, was a gift...... I do Hoover. Part B, was confusing... I think I got a 12... I had the content that was relevant but I was confused by the wording... (I do not think the actual way in which I conveyed my argument was of a consistently exceptional standard).. really it depends how they mark it.

World War 1 was an absolute gift (Multiple Choice was fucked up tbh... Shrapnel or Barrage? I mean for fuck sake)... tbh, even if you had not studied WW1 in depth... and had just seen a couple of movies, you could have got the own knowledge marks (2). (Words of Snr History Marker... i say in general, because he has marked all English and History papers).

I estimate 92-94+ (The paper was very easy)

(I also predicted Ancient would be: Conservation or Ethics for PnH and my Rome 264-133 (One of the 25 Marker Options) would be The Roles of X n X or Causes of Punic Wars)

BOS makes it obvious.

viserys

HSC
For anyone who did Conflict in Euorope the question about the air war, did anyone tie in other factors which shaped the course of the European War? :)
i did the majority of my essay on the air war and then a little bit on the russian campaign
this seemed to be the general consensus in my class too, most people added a second in towards the end of the essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)