General thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

moeydalati88

>>M03Y<<
HSC
ha dat exam was cinch compared with last year and the year before..mc was a bit difficuilt but iverall was a bit easy! especially med phy..that was too easy..i was laughin when i saw those Q's haha!

matty fwd

HSC
Exam was pretty easy. I saw those raw mark - band cut offs for 01 and 03.... from 60-70 was band 5. Has to be much higher for this one

sja

dingleberry
HSC
band 6 cut off this year will be the same as it is every year

from 78 to 82/100

oh and i dont know how you guys seriously think everyone is getting 85-90/100 raw. do you understand how critical they are when it comes to the 4-6 markers? everyones assuming they all got 6/6 for the longer responses. this exam was more like an english exam

the photo electric effect question needed you to discuss scientists like einstein and maxwell, talking about how scientists discovered what light was made of etc. you're looking at 4/6 maximum if you didn't include hypothesis, theories, scientific methods - practical experiements...

oh and future potential applications of super conductors - if you did not mention the economic costs and practicality and how much time/effort and effiency will be lost when converting to methods chosen then youre stuck on 4/6 with perfect explanation and terminology

good luck everyone

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It was alright overall actually....nothing weird like last year's paper, but I think I didn't do as well I liked to. To me it seemed like I put in a band 5 effort, just short of band 6. I hated the Multiple Choice.....there were at least 3 questions where I was like WTF? I hated that 6 mark force analysis question and that change in GPE question. Other than that, I think I might have lost a mark here and there. Option was alright (I did Astrophysics), but that 7 marker was way too open-ended though. I had a hard time restricting myself from writing too much and wasting time. I just hope I did better in this exam than the trials...

Roboooo

HSC
philthy said:
this exam was much better then i expected....way better then 2005.
i didnt like the GPE question. i think I got the copper bar questions all right... i worked out the distance between them to be 3cm, did anyone else get this??
awww distance is in metres not centimetres.

hard shit was

1)that stupid gravitational potential energy question about "a certain planet" no idea. i assumed this certain planet was Earth because otherwise i would of blanked it
2)multichoose was hard! harder than i've ever seen it.
3)scales?? mass...what?

for that gravity question in geo whatever orbit i think i got it...stupid question but.

we'll find out if ANY of you people got 95% raw-come on. i think it was harder than the catholic trials this year

donrob15

HSC
i thought the exam was great, a really fair exam all up. i didnt get full marks in the big markers on the photoelectric effect, superconductors and the 7 marker in med physics, probably 4 out of 7 for that one. I think i made up for it though. im hoping band 6.

marklatham

HSC
MUR0031 said:
I'm so glad it wasn't as bad as last years HSC, but the multiple choice was a tad tricky. Good luck to you all for Maths next week.
true, true. What if we dont do maths???
The multiple choice had 2 questions that threw me, but i guessed A for q 15 and worked the other out so thats like 14 or 15/15. I had trouble with the GPe question, but it was only worth 3 so i only dropped a mark cause i had the right equation and method but i think i screwed my numbers at the end. I think i might have lost a mark on the 6 mark one about orbit and return to eartyh. just a hunch. and i definately lost a mark on the med phys 7 marker. I can assume to drop a mark here and there too but otherwise i pulled thorough at atleast 90%.
I think it was too easy...

speedie

HSC
mannnnnnnn, that felt like crap. the grav potential energy sucked
i thought 2005 was much less weird

shushko69

HSC
oy bro to find the force..its basic F=ma...u know the mass which was like 0.540 for 20 Amps..and the acceleration due to gravity 9.8m/s/s..so then u can find out the force:D for the given attraction..ohh no wat:S i think i fuked it!!!!!! LOL i think ur meant to go the wieght of the rod down..minus the weight missing..then thats the force! DAM

haque

HSC
that exam was a joke-they should have made it like 05 or harder-very general and easy questions which does not separate the good from the very good and allows everyone to do pretty well i.e not a real indication of physics knowledge or application or understanding.

Lions_Fist

HSC
haque said:
that exam was a joke-they should have made it like 05 or harder-very general and easy questions which does not separate the good from the very good and allows everyone to do pretty well i.e not a real indication of physics knowledge or application or understanding.
Who cares! As long as they scale us all well, I'm happy ;P

lonely_devil

HSC
i thought there were heaps of trick questions in the multiple choice... =_=
i found it the harder than the past papers... there was nothing like equating centripetal force and magnetic force that kinda stuff which i love..... e.g. the bubble chamber question from 05 was fun... >.< sigh... i screwed up so badly in MC...

sja

dingleberry
HSC
don't worry if you screw up because there's always 3 years of tafe and letting down your whole family generation with the uai they promised everyone you would get

its ok friends. its ok. this thing is never going to leave you for the rest of your life

adothetechy

Adrian
HSC
Wasn't a bad exam. Specific thoughts on questions:

Multi-choice:
10) DC Transformer. Didn't notice it was a DC transformer.

Part B:
18) GPE question. I ended up with 166 667 J. Thats not what my physics teacher approximated.
20) Distance between rods. I used difference between eight of initial and weight of 20A and used F=ma.
21) Maybe 4/6. I think I was weak on my response.
22b) Copper conducts better at low temperatures. Effect will increase!

From Quanta to Quarks:
31c) Fission question. Probably won't get full marks for it. Said some stuff about binding energy being released according to E=mc^2

Hopefully given that I didn't make stacks of unknown errors I'm hoping for 85-90%. As long as the whole state didn't do that.

poopoohead

HSC
haque said:
you sound like one of the 'very good' people. why do say these kind of things? its hurtful lol. why cant everyone do well? why can everyone get band sixes?? if i was president of board of studies or minister for education or whatever- i would be nice to everyone. everyone in my eyes would be 'very good'. we're all very good. even the person who left an hour before the end of the exam!

yeah i thought it was good- the multiple choice was a bit hard- more like mutliple guess for some of them. medical physcis was easy.

i think i did ok- at least 75

cjwrighty25

Look Out HSC! Here I come
HSC
I dont know about everyone else, but i didnt think it was that hard. I must expect i was expecting it to be very hard physics paper but it wasnt. The hardest question i found, well the one that dumb founded me was in the option, geophysics, question 28 d) ii) for some reason i had never even heard of a question close to that.

Well i hope i will get a good mark for this, it will help my UAI out a lot. But over all the exam wasnt as hard as i thought. Lets just hope that isnt a bad sign :(

robmeister

Superrob
HSC
adothetechy said:
Wasn't a bad exam. Specific thoughts on questions:

Multi-choice:
10) DC Transformer. Didn't notice it was a DC transformer.

Part B:
18) GPE question. I ended up with 166 667 J. Thats not what my physics teacher approximated.
20) Distance between rods. I used difference between eight of initial and weight of 20A and used F=ma.
21) Maybe 4/6. I think I was weak on my response.
22b) Copper conducts better at low temperatures. Effect will increase!

From Quanta to Quarks:
31c) Fission question. Probably won't get full marks for it. Said some stuff about binding energy being released according to E=mc^2

Hopefully given that I didn't make stacks of unknown errors I'm hoping for 85-90%. As long as the whole state didn't do that.
hey mate GPE i got same as you. i did it 2 ways and that was my second answer i thought it looked more correct, i think that would be right.

Benmc

HSC
General thoughts on the exam once again. I thought this years paper was fair compared to previous years. Especially the short answer responses. Those were fairly easy.

What threw me off was some of the Mutliple Choice Questions. Some of those were hard....lol....Especially the ones inbetween 7-10. I think most people would agree with me there.

AND OH HOW DID I GET Q2 wrong....WTF.....!!!!! :(

The Short Answers/ Mini Essays were okay.
What threw me off and what i've seen threw other people off were:

The GPE question to do with the orbit radius of a satellite. (Didn't even attempt it but wrote the E = - Gmm/r and W = mgh equations out. Hopefully one mark for that)

The Electron At The Speed Of Light at 0.6C reference question. (Got this wrong i think. Since the actual equipment wasn't moving the Distance should be longer than that observer by the fast moving Electron)

And those were the two main problem areas i had. The Copper rod in my opinion was suprisingly easy.

OPTION: Quanta to quarks was pretty easy this year and fair. Especilly the up up down, down down up for the last question. Easy two marks.

haque

HSC
i apologise for any feelings hurt-i never had that intention but my fear is that those who make silly mistakes, even though they are quite able will be brought down due to the easy questions-if the questions were hard then the silly mistakes were compensated-it'd be good if everyone got band sixes but the scaling would be low-and i need all the scaling i can get to achieve the Malcolm Chaikin scholarship

2suave

HSC
noway i thought it was easy n ive been doing really bad at physics ALL year... but it was RELATIVELY easy to past physics...

im happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)